Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thought to sound mind reading device

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Charles

Charles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I wonder will it ever be developed, the device that you mount on your head, and it reads your thoughts and converts them in sound signal which is identical to your own inner voice. one of the most interesting uses of this device would be in music - a person could imagine a melody and sing or play it in his head and the device would turn his thoughts into an actual sound. This way, almost everyone with some musical talent could be a singer, or even composer. It has happened to me that I invent a beautiful melody, but I can't use it because I haven't mastered music notation, and also I don't play any instrument. My singing is also quite bad, but this is due to my vocal abilities, not due to my problems with pitch. When someone else sings I find it very easy to notice errors in singing, and I also notice my own errors, but I can't correct them, because my voice does not allow it.
  • Caiman likes this

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Welcome to the forum :) It’s an interesting idea and of course such a technology would also have other practical uses in giving voices to those who are physically disabled and incapable of speech. The concept of inner voice is an interesting philosophical predicament though, given that we all hear our own actual voices differently to how anyone else hears it due to it emanating from inside our body, does the mind correct for that, does the voice we ‘hear’ inside our mind actually mirror the one external listeners hear? Still such a device could allow for some genuinely new types of music to emerge into what appears to be a topped out market relying on rehashing, remaking and mixing existing genres these days, I am sure there are forms that a naturally talented individual capable of composing without augmentation just hasn’t created yet?

~Jon

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Actually we think in specific language. Our inner voice is composed of words. Not all our thoughts of course but I think Charles idea is pretty much possible. We're getting there: - actual demonstration begins @ 10:35 - take note, that this video is from 2008 But for me first thing to go for would be mind controlling of bionic implants.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Markomarkh

Markomarkh

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
http://www.ted.com/t..._new_music.html this is something more like it.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

I would love that.  I'm a musician, but a terrible singer.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users