Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Would you swap a healthy eye for a bionic one with additional functionality?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

stuffed_leader

stuffed_leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationprescott, AZ
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Italian Ufo" data-cid="38823" data-time="1361606431"><p> I mean if we are without internet or video games or other feautures in our eyes for some moment it wont be the end of the world. I mean do humans really not know anymore how to live without internet? I loose my contacts or glasses..is not the end of the world.<br /> I have high respect for human body so I will never do things like that but I respect everybody else choice.<br /> <br /> Bear in mind that in the future a compiuter could be contain in a berry of rice, there will not be the need to replace an entire eye. At leeast I will wait for this technology to come.</p></blockquote> That's why I think it will be for the more extreme. There are some people that really can' t go without some form of internet
Omega point or extinction.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,059 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Anyway, as I believe I've said before, only if said eye gives me some new abilities. 

The bionic eye should match the healthy eye in its number of receptors, first of all, so nothing looks like desaturated and fuzzy '60s video footage. Next, add some night vision, day vision (night vision that replicates daylight), IR, UV sight, telescopic sight, and some AR/VR and we're all set.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Since my sight is slowly getting worse, I guess that, by the time bionic eyes will be better than our eyes, I'll actually need them. 

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Sign me up.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

no

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

This is a no-brainer, of course I would, If it provides additional features like increased field of vision, a higher-quality view, zoom in- zoom out, acces the internet, and more.

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina

yes, as long at it looks like a normal eye

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Depends on how much it costs now that I think about it. Or if it's included in my health plan :p

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
I would swap my entire body for an artificial one regardless of the condition of any particular body parts.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

I would swap my entire body for an artificial one regardless of the condition of any particular body parts.

Even your penis? Lol

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Yes... even my penis... O_o

oOjof

oOjof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSweden

yes. especially when could get a "normal" body in VR whenever i want.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I'd still want my artificial body to look exactly like a human body, but perform much better than a human body.

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin

^ What about...texture? Feeling when touching your skin, for example? Do you think we could achieve that to be natural and indistinguishable from a biological body? I mean, I wouldn't mind having enhanced...everything, but if it felt metal-like to the touch, it would be something that might bother me (okay, considering, some might say I'm nitpicking - the chance to get a body that's better and more robust than what we have now... still, one can strive to improve everything).

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I'd want to be as close to a real biological human body as possible as far as looks and textures are concerned. However, I'd want it to be artificial to the extent that it would be virtually immortal.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 21,059 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

^ What about...texture? Feeling when touching your skin, for example? Do you think we could achieve that to be natural and indistinguishable from a biological body? I mean, I wouldn't mind having enhanced...everything, but if it felt metal-like to the touch, it would be something that might bother me (okay, considering, some might say I'm nitpicking - the chance to get a body that's better and more robust than what we have now... still, one can strive to improve everything).

Personally, I don't think we're going to see a lot of "walking metal" in the future. SciFi does that because, apparently, if it's not flippin' obvious and blatant, the Lowest Common Denominator won't get it. Robots and cyborgs included. Artificial flesh is already possible. Warmth is a different matter, as artificial warmth still feels artificial, though I feel most of it's connotations are mystical thinking.

Edited by The Young Homo Maximus, 17 September 2013 - 01:14 AM.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

KaRdAsHeV~sCaLe

KaRdAsHeV~sCaLe

0.72 on the Kardashev scale and slowly getting more advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in this universe

Yes, that'd be the first non-biological part of me. Then I'd carry on upgrading my body until I'm 100% non-biological.

Counting down the days until 2050: 12,499 Humanity = 0.72 on the Kardashev scale
Counting down the days until 2100: 30,761
Counting down the days until 3000: 359,479

Riftmaker

Riftmaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationArizona

I would definitely go for the eyes. Firstly, I must mention that my vision is not 20/20, but not too awful either.

I don't usually wear my glasses at all.

Still, there are so many possibilities where retinal implants and cybernetic eyes that it would be extremely useful to have them.

Considering both the good and bad possibilities, this is what I could think of:

[font="'courier new';"]o [/font]Virtual reality gaming/simulators

[font="'courier new';"]o       [/font]Electrical fields (electricians/hunters?)

[font="'courier new';"]o [/font]Civilian HUD (countless uses—from internet browsing, image viewing, to multitasking applications such as calendar alerts)

[font="'courier new';"]o [/font]Athletics (self-monitoring, timing, visual correction, etc.)

[font="'courier new';"]o [/font]Civilian pilots

[font="'courier new';"]o [/font]Self-inflicted visual hallucinations

[font="'courier new';"]o [/font]Projected Advertising (forced commercial images)

Just some things I thought of. Definitely not all-inclusive. Personally, when it comes to 'staying pure' or anything like that, I think it is a man's actions and the things that he believes in his mind that make the man, not his body. That's like saying a brave, honorable soldier who lost a limb in war and has the limb replaced is less of a man, less human, because his body is no longer entirely human.

I think the real difference will come once people begin to mess with their brains and therefore minds, connecting to machines. I think the closest foreseeable technology with that will be neural interfaces, but I still think that is a non-issue, as long as the mind is generally unaltered.

Riftmaker

Riftmaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationArizona

I totally forgot to put the obvious uses for retinal implants... 

like restoring eyesight, night vision, heat vision, geotracking, HUD’s... etc.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I wonder just how possible it will be to have a 100% artificial body. Would we just be able to upload our consciousness then destroy our biological brains, or would will still need to keep a little bit of it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users