Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

personalized medicine date 20..?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
I can tell you that we won't be curing cancer or regrowing limbs by then though.  Like I said earlier its all how you define personalized.

I do foresee a sharp decline in cancer-related deaths during the 2020s, though, courtesy of the detection methods you've talked about. I read that whenever cancer is detected very early on, the victim's life can be saved 9 out of 10 times; the problem is that no intervention is made until the person has reached a significantly diseased state. With exponentially more powerful methods of detection, I think that cancer will become more or less tamed a good number of years before it's cured.

José Andrade

José Andrade

Waiting for Immortality and FIVR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationPortugal
I can tell you that we won't be curing cancer or regrowing limbs by then though

Maybe you are right but if i had to bet i wouldn't bet against regrowing lost limbs by 2029.

Edited by José Andrade, 26 February 2013 - 03:59 AM.

"In this world, a single blade can take you anywhere you want to go. It's a virtual world, but i still feel more alive here than i do in the real one." Kirito - Sword Art Online

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
Posted Image

aahahhhh Love Boat ! 1980s! I remember this program!

Edited by Italian Ufo, 26 February 2013 - 04:23 AM.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

lets not feed the troll

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'll be a bit more specific Ertu, it depends on the degree of personalization. Today there is personalized medicine but it is prohibited to those that are rich enough to sequence their own genomes. I think that as computing power grows and our understanding of genetics continues to expand we may be able to read genes en masse and make accurate predictions by the late 2020s. As far as personalizing actual medicine and drugs, that is quite a way off, though with the coming of 3D printing it could be possible that we could assemble drugs in some type of massively versatile compound maker. I would think that would probably come around 2040s-50s maybe? Just my opinion. Nanotech is also going to come along and could be very disruptive and change our perceptions of medicine altogether, so it could be sooner depending on nanotech capabilities.

Edited by MarcZ, 26 February 2013 - 07:57 AM.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

Another factor is the fact that even with data-collecting programs and apps, the average person still won't be able to make sense of most of the data, at least not in any meaningful way.  The amount of information we can collect about what's going on in our body is potentially astronomical, and most (if not all) of those parameters will continuously affect each other in some way.  The human body is a dynamic and extremely complex system, and is therefore probably subject to the butterfly effect, at least to some degree.

Because of this, I think another factor in the future of personalized medicine is the development of AI that can continually measure and analyze all this data, in order to clear the gap from micro-level, empirical observations (i.e. your blood pressure) to macro-level information that matters to you (i.e. order a salad instead of french fries, because your cholesterol level is at a 6-month high and your heart is under a lot of stress from that bar fight you were in last night).

Accounting for AI powerful enough to glean meaningful information from huge amounts of data, I'd push my estimate of powerful, personalized medical techniques back from the late 2020's to the mid 2040's.  And add the disclaimer that the odds of us all missing several key pieces of information that would affect this prediction are quite high.  There are a lot of factors involved.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users