Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will the Internet Replace TV?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

samal90

samal90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I feel like the internet already replaced the TV?? I haven't watched TV in 3 years or so. I just watch everything online...ok...hooked to my TV...but still...I just use the monitor that's all.

Jake Epping

Jake Epping

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I feel like the internet already replaced the TV?? I haven't watched TV in 3 years or so. I just watch everything online...ok...hooked to my TV...but still...I just use the monitor that's all.

You are still watching television content made for TV. With no money going into the television industry there will be a terminal point when no more television content will be available because studios will be unable to get a budget to create shows. We won't actually hit this terminal point because there will either be an alternative method of financing or an alternative source of content. 

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
I think that they should ditch broadcasting completely and just 'upload' programmes for people to watch in any order they like whenever they like. The only things that should be live are news and sport, and even they should be streamed on the internet as opposed to traditional TV broadcasting. TV sets could still be sold though for home cinema purposes, and they will continue to become more and more immersive and advanced as the years go on. By 2100, I honestly think that TV as we know it will be dead.

CLB

CLB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
The internet has ALREADY replaced the TV for me. I never watch the TV, as I have a far wider choice of programs on the internet and almost never have to wait for something to be uploaded.

If something I say sounds like trolling/being stupid/offensive, please forgive me. I'm bad with people.

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

You are still watching television content made for TV. With no money going into the television industry there will be a terminal point when no more television content will be available because studios will be unable to get a budget to create shows. We won't actually hit this terminal point because there will either be an alternative method of financing or an alternative source of content. 

Internet/streaming channels such as Hulu, Crackle and several others are creating program content not intended for TV broadcast. Series, movies, documentaries etc. 

I cut the cord long ago and enjoy streamed content for free. At my disposal, when I want it. Developers are creating loads of channels for the Roku, for instance. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,107 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Yes and no.

Yes in that classical television is going the way of the dinosaurs- long gone, their remnants in birds and lizards, or in this case, menial devices and some programmes.

I also assume that, if Internet remains a privilege and not a basic civil right, some will be forced to stay with TV.

No in that the two will merge. We're not going to stop watching TV all of a sudden to watch a few short clips and read articles and play MMOs in the living room. TV as we know it will go on, but in a new form- the form of the Internet, and its sudden freedom. Now you have to devise new marketing strategies, new ways to air shows... No longer do you have whole networks, because now someone can just type in keywords of what they want to watch, and there it is, rather than waiting for days for their programme to appear and realize it's not even the episode they want to watch.

Of course, that might take away that special feeling you get from surfing the 'tube, so I imagine networks may remain.

The point is, our TV screen will, very soon, become a computer screen and our computer screen will become a TV screen.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users