Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

3D Vending Machines in the future. When do you think this will be feasible?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

If vending machines can dispense beer, pizza and movies, why not 3D-printed objects? This is a 3D-printing vending machine -- and it's coming to a city near you (soon)!

Combining the hyper-local convenience of Redbox with cutting edge technology, Dreambox is a vending machine that aims to fuel the 3D-printing revolution from the bottom up. See it in action >> http://bit.ly/Wxbf4o

Posted Image

I wanted to share  this article with you

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I don't think these will catch on.

I think personal 3-D printers will, but not these.

It will be a long time before nano-replicator devices can be bought cheaply for personal home use, until then I would expect companies to print out your stuff like this vending machine, but I don't think we will ever see them on city streets.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

but imagine you forgot something at home? or you need something urgently.  I mean if we get these machines to produces objects in few minutes just like the machines who take pictures of you in the street then it may be feasebile to see 3d printing machines in the street.

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Why not, SG-1? OK, you folks are youngish, but I still remember payphones :-) . Since it takes time until people purchase a piece of new tech, it's a viable business model IMO.

Especially if coupled with this:

MakerBot’s Desktop 3D Scanner Is A Real-Life Star Trek Replicator

http://www.gizmodo.c...rek-replicator/
Once a tool designed exclusively for trained technicians, 3D printers are now almost as easy to use as your desktop inkjet — except when it comes to designing and prepping the requisite 3D models. That step still requires an expertise with 3D modelling software, and is a barrier to 3D printing that MakerBot hopes to remove with its new Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner.

When combined with a 3D printer, the Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner is almost like a Xerox machine for real-world objects. Need to replace a small part that’s broken? Instead of contacting the manufacturer you can simply toss it on the laser-based scanner, generate a 3D model and then print it off on your 3D printer.

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Personally, I don't think the manufacturers will start lobbying for copyright enforcement right now, but they definitely will be when the next generation will be able to scan printed circuits (since there are already 3D printers that can print them).

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Assuming you have stuff you need to print out, it seems pretty useful to me. So far there isn't a lot of things that we just decide we need to print out, but then we have stores all over the place and tons of junk at home. When they get really good and are cheap enough that it is more convenient and practical to just print something out rather than carry it with you, then it will really take off.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
Assuming you have stuff you need to print out, it seems pretty useful to me. So far there isn't a lot of things that we just decide we need to print out, but then we have stores all over the place and tons of junk at home. When they get really good and are cheap enough that it is more convenient and practical to just print something out rather than carry it with you, then it will really take off.

Good point!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users