Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Incredible Computer of the Future

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

This was featured on BBC News a couple of weeks ago, it's an incredible 3D computer that you can 'reach inside', to allow a wider range of more versatile controls than a tablet/touchscreen PC. The developer expects this type of computer to be in wide use by 2020. This really is well worth a watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-21600581

• wjfox likes this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

awesome.  even  tho i may just use simple compiuter in the futures lol  this things sometimes are too  complicated.at least for me :)

Edited by Italian Ufo, 10 March 2013 - 05:09 PM.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
awesome.  even  tho i may just use simple compiuter in the futures lol  this things sometimes are too  complicated.at least for me :)

You will have to adapt in order to keep up with societal and technological changes we will experience if you want to remain relevant and not being considered a "old geezer". :)  Though I do admit there are geezers who are pretty technically savvy but that's because they were willing to keep learning in order to keep up with us.

Also, if we do live long enough to a time when neural augmentations are commonplace, they probably will help you stay abreast with the rapid changes.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

oh  gosh lol i can  t already cope with Windows 8!!!!!

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I've been waiting to hear about this more, and now that I see it ... I'm no really very impressed.

It looks like the sixth sense interface, but with a limited window to view and stationary set up. Or like taking a cell phone and mounting it to an arm on a table to use augmented reality systems through the camera in back.

I plan to tinker with a sixth sense design sometime in the next year or so, and it'll be likely that I'll start with stationary, as projection systems are cheaper and more dependable at full size than the pico systems. but even then I feel that what I end up with will be better than the interface used here.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Markomarkh

Markomarkh

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
This ain't the future, screens will be a thing of the past, 3d or not, you'll be able to do this with augmented glasses like google glass and the like! Dead before it starts!

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

sorry, I sometimes forget that new members may not know the things we get used to knowing about. We don't mean to dismiss your excitment about it.

I'm just more excited about

• Kabe Ayofe likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

I still think it is really cool, even if there are other cool display options as well. The really great thing about all this technology is that people learn from each other and you got multiple paths and options to take, and even the ones that don't end up going mainstream my have aspects that are used in other mainstream ideas.

• Casey likes this

Markomarkh

Markomarkh

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

sorry, I sometimes forget that new members may not know the things we get used to knowing about. We don't mean to dismiss your excitment about it. I'm just more excited about [/url]

What a rubbish idea, you wouldn't be able to see the picture on a surface if it was a bright day, it looks like something I could do with an adapted Xbox kinect! The idea of seeing info about people on their t shirt, would kill the idea of getting to know people through conversation, can't see what this can do that google glass can't.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
This ain't the future, screens will be a thing of the past, 3d or not, you'll be able to do this with augmented glasses like google glass and the like! Dead before it starts!

Well, it is the future, but it's the near future as opposed to the far future. Google glass is incredible as well, but this is a completely different type of technology.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,991 posts

sorry, I sometimes forget that new members may not know the things we get used to knowing about. We don't mean to dismiss your excitment about it.

What a rubbish idea, you wouldn't be able to see the picture on a surface if it was a bright day, it looks like something I could do with an adapted Xbox kinect! The idea of seeing info about people on their t shirt, would kill the idea of getting to know people through conversation, can't see what this can do that google glass can't.

It's not a product. It's open source, you can build one now, it's a gesture interface portable and wearable device. and how is it better than google glasses? Oh I don't know, maybe because I could use it like they did in one of their demos and play a game of virtual kick ball while standing on a subway train by aiming the projection down and kicking the ball between them. Because You could see what I see, it's shared display.

Which also means that I can bring up an image or document for you to see. and if they have it worked out as far as they planned, I can 'take a picture' of a pie chart document, have it display on my 'desktop', and make adjustments based on  new data and then you could snag the new file from me by visual grab or I could send it across country or world.

Kabe Ayofe

Kabe Ayofe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon

This is seriously impressive!

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

You should see the first prototypes for Google glass, they were unsightly and completely impractical, just wait 5 years. It does seem a little redundant with Google glass, but it has one advantage in that others can instantly see what you see without having the device themselves

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Whilst I can agree with some people here that this isn't the most practical computer that's ever been designed, I do think it is an incredible creation simply due to the technology behind it. This same technology used in other products in the future could almost certainly become something that we use daily in practical ways.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
I've been waiting to hear about this more, and now that I see it ... I'm no really very impressed.

It looks like the sixth sense interface, but with a limited window to view and stationary set up. Or like taking a cell phone and mounting it to an arm on a table to use augmented reality systems through the camera in back.

I plan to tinker with a sixth sense design sometime in the next year or so, and it'll be likely that I'll start with stationary, as projection systems are cheaper and more dependable at full size than the pico systems. but even then I feel that what I end up with will be better than the interface used here.

i agree. this concept is good only with google goggles.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina

This is basically AR with a projector, I don't think it's more practical compared to glasses. I would prefer glasses over projectors for everything I think. The only advantage ist that others can se the same, but mostly I wouldn't want them to anyway. This kind of AR implementation I expect from Google Glasses in the future, that why I would buy them as soon there are out. 

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
I just want advanced and practical holograms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users