Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The future of console gaming is Ouya

technology

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

stuffed_leader

stuffed_leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationprescott, AZ

You all have heard of Ouya right?

If you haven't, Ouya is a completely open source gaming console.It runs android 4.1(a little bit more powerful than xbox 360) and you can buy it pre rooted. There is no penalty for hacking it if its not rooted, and most of the games are free. Ouya is non-profit and they already raised six million dollars with a million followers and contributors (number still growing).

Today console gaming is completely company controlled like the music industry before the internet. Also, console games are made by the exact same rotation of people leading to the fact that most games released today are similar. 

With Ouya, anyone with a laptop and will power can release a new console game  and not have to pay licencing fees. People don't necessarily even have to make games for money; they could simply  make a game to entertain themselves and accidently rise to fame  (like many writers). 

Where do you see Ouya going? What will happen to the living room gaming industry when the possibility exist that anyone could make a better game than them? If it is successful, what will this do for the future of console gaming?

Edited by stuffed_leader, 11 March 2013 - 07:44 AM.

Omega point or extinction.

EpochSix

EpochSix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I like what Ouya represents, and I do think the Ouya's enormous public success on Kickstarter is a sign of what's to come, but I'm not sure how successful the console itself will be in the mainstream. I've asked a lot of gamers that I run into at parties if they've heard of Ouya and I still frequently find people saying no. I only know two people away from keyboard that have pre-ordered it, and they're both electronics students interested in poking at the hardware. What I'm mostly excited about, something Ouya is publicly enthusiastic about, is further placing the power of content creation into the hands of consumers.

So many of the games available for Ouya are going to be made by amateur develops sitting at home, and that's inspiring. Were seeing the same thing with the Leap Motion gesture control device coming in May, many of the people buying it are also going to be developing applications and games for it. What I really like about this is that open source hardware / software is clearly adding a huge layer of motivation to the consumer world to learn technical trades like computer science, programming, and electronics. These new open source consoles and devices are encouraging education through entertainment, content creation / creativity, and widespread sharing without heavy layers of DRM and copyright, it's great. The gaming industry is finally opening up to the information age, where everyone can be a developer, and the best earn their following rather than buying it.

Edited by EpochSix, 11 March 2013 - 08:30 AM.

hellgorama

hellgorama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Ouya would not succeed. For simple reasons: most open source games are 10yrs behind and can be easily played on a tablet or phone. Also if anyone is ambitious to make a near AAA level open source game, the code will be so complex that it would require tremendous effort to fix bugs and smoothen everything to the point that the task itself becomes a full time job. If you are not earning money from it, you wont be doing it for long. If you are going to get others to do it then you will need money to hire people and to get that money you need to make people pay for your games. Then it becomes like every other console. 

Steam already offer games at cheap prices and they are now developing their own console: steambox. People would much rather dish out a little bit of cash for convenience than to deal with time consuming technicalities (same reason why linux hasn't decimated mac or windows OS's).

If anything Ouya will simply be an experimental console allowing creative hardware and software geeks to tinker around and come up with their own console derived from Ouya, which they will patent and sell like Sony and Microsoft did with PlayStation and Xbox. Sry to be pessimist but that is how I see it going down.

Markomarkh

Markomarkh

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
I've pretty much giving up on consoles, the ps4 is only a slightly better version of ps3, they are not as innovating as they used to be, the Xbox 720 won't be much better either, just doing slight improvements from the last is just a money scheme, they gotta prove their innovations before I part with my money! Plus games are all the same these days that do to many 3d shooter ups, years ago we had more playable games and more variety, I like platforms like mario and sonic and adventure games, that's why I prefer Nintendo and the like!

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Game play of low budget and indie games are currently on par with most AAA huge budget games. If you look at how fun games are, often the cheaper ones are even more fun than the big budget games. What the big games often have an advantage in is graphics but only if you want extremely detailed 3d graphics, which isn't even required for many games. Free to play games are very popular now as well, so even some of those big games are still coming out free and often make their money through in game accessories that are sold for money.

To be honest though, I stopped console gaming after the Sega Saturn. The PC is just a lot better in my opinion. You get tons of free gaming and the internet and if you got a computer any way why buy something extra just for games? You can buy a new desktop for the same price as consoles too. My last couple computers only cost like 300 dollars.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Ouya does look like a pretty incredible console. I'm not into gaming and no longer own any consoles, but I find this very interesting. Even the design of the console is beautiful - it looks like a proper console of the future, and is far more "futuristic" in appearance than what we've so far seen of the PS4. Certainly a very exciting piece of technology that I would at least like to try out upon its release.

stuffed_leader

stuffed_leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationprescott, AZ
Ouya would not succeed. For simple reasons: most open source games are 10yrs behind and can be easily played on a tablet or phone. Also if anyone is ambitious to make a near AAA level open source game, the code will be so complex that it would require tremendous effort to fix bugs and smoothen everything to the point that the task itself becomes a full time job. If you are not earning money from it, you wont be doing it for long. If you are going to get others to do it then you will need money to hire people and to get that money you need to make people pay for your games. Then it becomes like every other console. 

Steam already offer games at cheap prices and they are now developing their own console: steambox. People would much rather dish out a little bit of cash for convenience than to deal with time consuming technicalities (same reason why linux hasn't decimated mac or windows OS's).

If anything Ouya will simply be an experimental console allowing creative hardware and software geeks to tinker around and come up with their own console derived from Ouya, which they will patent and sell like Sony and Microsoft did with PlayStation and Xbox. Sry to be pessimist but that is how I see it going down.

I don't know i've seen some pretty amazing betas from some programmers,  and they simply label those as side projects. Someone with enough talent or a group of people might be able to slip through creating some amazing console games. We can only see once Ouya is released and marinates for a year. 

Omega point or extinction.

CLB

CLB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Wow. I googled Ouya and it looks amazing. I'll probably get one when it comes out. I do see a real market for these, but I don't see it overtaking the xbox market or the PS2 market soon.

If something I say sounds like trolling/being stupid/offensive, please forgive me. I'm bad with people.

hellgorama

hellgorama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

steambox will be the console to prevent Ouya from becoming THEE console for people to get (assuming that consoles remain popular). Don;t get me wrong it is amazing, but steambox offer so much convenience at such a low cost (low cost for games that is) that im sure people would have no problem dishing out a bit of cash. I mean look at steam on PC. WHy are they still soo successful even when the internet is loaded with pirates?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: technology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users