Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Brain to music!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Markomarkh

Markomarkh

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
You've all heard the idea of audio to midi, with like ableton live 9 or melodyne software, where you simply hum a choon in and it will convert into midi data and you can change it into propa music by adding a virtual instrument in your music software! But what if you could get a device that could read directly from your brain, just simply think a tune and your computer plays it! Look at this I think this would be great for people who can't play the keyboard! Is this te future?

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

The keyboard isn't the only instrument that exists :p

This will have to progress a very long way before I'm even consider to ditch my tele.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I'm not really impressed by it.  It seems like he is just adjusting pitch based on amount of activity of his brain.

It is a need DIY with an EEG headset.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

It sounds like the Theremin. I don't think it will fly unless it could compute chords, different instruments at the same time and the ability to hold a note in tune without struggling to sound like a dying cat.

H3llion

H3llion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnder your Desk
I'm not really impressed by it.  It seems like he is just adjusting pitch based on amount of activity of his brain.

It is a need DIY with an EEG headset.

Everything has its infant states.

stuffed_leader

stuffed_leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationprescott, AZ
Who knows what new genres can spring from the advanced version of this interface
Omega point or extinction.

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK
It sounds like the Theremin. I don't think it will fly unless it could compute chords, different instruments at the same time and the ability to hold a note in tune without struggling to sound like a dying cat.

Yeah, when virtual reality really takes off, we'll be able to play conventional instruments (or at least their digital counterparts) with our minds, this just seems a little lame.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

I always think up songs and music, but I don't play any instruments, and technology like this would be incredible for turning my ideas into audio. Would really like to see this developed further.

Edit: Actually thinking of a music track right now that I would love to hear played back! Hope this tech is available during my lifetime!

Edited by FutureOfToday, 04 April 2013 - 01:42 AM.

Markomarkh

Markomarkh

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

I always think up songs and music, but I don't play any instruments, and technology like this would be incredible for turning my ideas into audio. Would really like to see this developed further.

Yes I think up things in my head all the time, I can make music with my iMac and reason 6.5 software but it never comes out as I imagined it tho, it's a difficult thing to get it the exactly the same as you thought but this tech would be great if you could imagine some nice female vocals and the tech converted it into audio for you.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,700 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

I think songs up, and I can make them sometimes if I have the patience.

As people have stated it sounds like a dissonant theremin. Music is a touchy thing, it has to sound decent or else it just sounds like noise. It's quite lame and will continue to be until it can start generating 32-piece orchestras straight from my brain. Until then my keyboard, saxophone, and bootleg copy of FL Studio will hold me over.

Still, it's impressive technology. Is it possible that when this tool sees widespread use, the value of good-quality music will be cheapened? I see its most common use as listening to an earworm until you get tired of it.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users