Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Entertainment Singularity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,711 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Ok let me start by saying this- the original thread title was supposed to be "Will Cyberneuro implants render entertainment moot?" because the thought I had was "Hm... If I could enter a VR sim or even just have an augmented reality desk with sufficiently advanced cybernetic augments, I could create fantastic art at thought. Any song I'd ever want to hear, but hasn't actually been made, my augment would stimulate my neurons into hearing this song. Anything I'd want to see, it would do the same, on a larger scale. Virtual reality could do wonders for this!"

Since lucid dreaming already provides a very useful backdrop for these aforementioned things, and a progressive science-fiction political drama I'm writing encourages thinking about these things, I assumed that, at some point in time, absolutely anything you'd want would be there before your fingertips.

Fanfiction author? Hate words? Suck at writing? Suck even worse at drawing? Suck at optimal levels at animating? Still don't like the way your favorite media played out? Pop on this and go to town. Why stop there? Why not just create entire mind movies? It'd cost nothing. I used to do this all the time when I was young and not schizotypal and could actually focus for more than 5 minutes on something. But I hated that I could never 'save' these mental movies, or legitimately rewind. And the second time around, I never saw the same thing. For better or for worse. I had a freaking Cartoon Network party in my house once back in '04, and it was party where I was the only "real" person there. Back in '07, I envisioned my own comic/cartoon and did my best to bring it to reality via ultrapoor drawings and impossibly bad script format writing.  Put in a VR implant, and there would've been no reason to pain myself over that thing.

Consider il povero artista who has many grand ideas, but has but a few hundred dollars to bring it to life, if that. And then CGI, while advanced, still suffers from the "Uncanny valley", even the most high end of it.  With this, all is real. What need is there for a movie industry? A music industry? Whatever art/entertainment related if you removed the finesse, pains, and monumental costs of creation/streamlined it into a few microseconds of neural activity? Like a glorified lucid dream, this fangdangled virtual reality doohickey is!

But that begged the question. If this satisfied your every need and want, there would be no need for a body, now would there?

EDIT: OK, back to solely entertainment. I just love wasting my own time.

I am overwhelmingly for bringing entertainment/art creation to virtual realms, but I cannot help but feel somewhat sad for those who would lose their careers this way. Then again, the future is not kind to human jobs, so I'd get over it.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,711 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Dang, ninja'd by the  'Brain to music' thread!

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth
Dang, ninja'd by the  'Brain to music' thread!

This seems more impressive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users