Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Future of OSes? Mac vs Ms vs Linux?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Markomarkh

Markomarkh

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
Hi all, I've always been interested in the future of operating systems, I first used an amiga and it had a windows like operating system like windows called workbench, but then amiga was discontinued in 1995 I think. So for a new computer I tried a pc with ms windows 3.1 and os warp on IBM systems then in 1999 I got a pc with windows 98 and had so many crashes and problems with it was unbelievable and then I tried windows Xp and that wasn't much better and you had to continues upgrades! So I began to hate it and anything by Microsoft, then in 2002 I did a music course and they had Apple Macs and had osx on it and it was great to use, lot more easier and user friendly, and they said they never get viruses but don't know how true that is but I hear they hardly get them compared to windows pcs. Then in 2011 I could finally afford a iMac myself I got one with osx lion and its the best thing to finally get away from m$ shit! I've also tried Linux which Ubuntu is a great little operating system which I heard is a lot easier than the early redhat days of Linux, but some people say it is a poor mans windows but I hear its more for techies and can do more than windows! So what's your experience with oses and what's the future of them? Cheers Mark.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

All I know is that things are going to be very different and unexpected in the decades to come. We may find a better, more efficient way to operate a computer on the software side. Operating systems as we know it may become a thing of the past - obsolete, giving way to a very different paradigm.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Markomarkh

Markomarkh

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

All I know is that things are going to be very different and unexpected in the decades to come. We may find a better, more efficient way to operate a computer on the software side. Operating systems as we know it may become a thing of the past - obsolete, giving way to a very different paradigm.

What like the ipad and iOS? That seems like a very different way to traditional operating systems than just a mouse and pointer.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Well, operating systems are definitely having to change rapidly to work with the ever-evolving hardware it is required for. Now that laptops are gradually becoming obsolete to tablets and other touchscreen computers, operating systems are having to change to suit this, and with technology developing at a faster pace than ever before, it will continue to change rapidly and as Raklian suggested, it's highly likely that they will eventually have to be replaced with something completely new to allow further development of technology.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

OS won't go obselete. All an OS is is a means of using a short hand so that you don't have to program in binary which is a tedious long complex process. OS allow us to tell a computer to do something  like make one pixel turn blue from black, rather than type all week with ones and zeros to get the same effect.

Will Windows and Mac OS makers still dominate the market... I'm not sure. At least for the next seven to 12 years is my guess. But really and truely the ability to make custom apps and hardware is undergoing a sort of info tech renaissance. And the commercial OSs are too locked up and they cost people money. The only thing the Big guys have is a strangle hold on the software market... but that matters less when there are communities of people who are creating open source libraries of apps and software to work in open source OS.

The clinching moment will come when we make a jump to major computer systems changes. Holographic display, quatum calculations where binary no longer is the best system, AI, graphene circuts, optical... ect. Each of these spell changes in the very base of how a computer works with and displays data. Just as the change from Dos to graphic interfaces changed everything. And the jump from Dos is what created windows and mac os.

The question is who bridges the gap first. the renaissance open sourcers with their flexability and muti point innovation, or the monolithic corporate models? Whoever wins that prize gets to define compatability of the software markets that predominate. He who offers the first and best port gets the most cargo. So softwares developers and app creators will tap the best market place and make it even stronger. Everybody else will just be alternatives, not actually contenders.

They will both still be around, but who is king of the hill? And since there are more than one potential jumps to be made, my feeling is the open source crowd. Simply because the bigger you are the less agile you are and the harder it is to change direction. So while they could redevelop a system for holographic displays and release windows portal OS with 3d interface and use systems, seven months later the move to optical data, and five months past that to quantum ram and graphene processors. They big guys just can't get the market of a new OS to handle these changes every four months and earn a profit from each release.

Open source will get you people who can tap into a new advance within weeks of the new tech, and they are not concerned with return on investment in R&D. They just wanna tap into the newest stuff and make things that make it possible.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users