Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

City Towers?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

science man

science man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I recently read something for school that was talking about New Urbanism where everything is dense and therefore close by and it reminded me of something I saw once on a science program. I think they were called "City Towers" which  buildings that are cites within themselvles. Imagine that when you got up in the morning and had to go to work or school all you had to do once you left your house is take an elevator and BAM you're there!!! I fell in love with the idea from the start. (this also applies to resuarants, banks, post offices ect.) I was wondering if it's been predicted as to when it'll happen or better yet if it's already being worked on? :D

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

It'll take massive amount of resources to make it feasible.

Earth itself doesn't have the resources but perhaps with asteroid mining, we could do it along with more breakthroughs in building design.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

It's a really cool idea, but it feels like having AI-driven flying cars would be a kind of prerequisite. What if something like that were to catch fire? Or experience an earthquake? Chaos would ensue, and the loss of human life would border on the level of a national tragedy.

Not to mention that the thing could possibly transform into a wretched hive of scum and villainy (see Dredd for more details).

In order for a concept like this to be successful in execution, we would need a ton of resources to build and maintain it and a LOT of safety measures must be taken. The thing would probably need to be highly automated and run by advanced AI so that if someone's trash can catches fire, action is taken immediately so that a full-scale evacuation won't be necessary.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

possible but as stated it would require a ridiculous amount of resources and a power supply just for the tower. Also it would require a new material to replace steel because since the tower would have to be wider than the typical tower today (which is around a block wide of surface area), and this would cause ridiculous amounts of tension, stress, and pressure in certain points of the tower which would also result in large amounts of heat towards the bottom. also the massive amount of people constantly moving throughout this tower would require a large amount of high-speed elevators in constant use, along with many other means such as water supply, outdoor areas, quick police/ambulance protection, also fire protection which could be lethal for many, etc to make this city - tower function properly, which as you could tell would be extremely difficult to fit all into one building.

Worst of all if one terrorist decided to bomb and take out one support for such a massive building, the massive amount of weight would focus on that one area and cause other supports to fail in turn possibly collapsing the whole structure.

physics shows us just because we make a structure larger or smaller (to scale) doesn't necessarily mean that it will function the same way. this means just because we take large buildings the way they are made today and make them taller, wider, and denser doesn't mean that the structure will hold or function the same way

Edited by Squillimy, 20 March 2013 - 05:13 AM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Similar to what was seen on "Dredd"? Not an exactly ideal situation but the idea is interesting.

• TransAustin likes this

science man

science man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Oh ok so advances in AI need to be made. What are the other resources you guys are talking about? Does the Earth not have enough material? 

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina

This is quite an old idea and for me it's similar appealing. It's called an arcology, there where plan to build something like this in Dubai before the financial crisis but the plan was cancelled than. There exist other plans to build one in Tokio but this may just an idea. 

Form my point of view this could be very beneficial especially if this towers are self sufficient in terms of energy and food (vertical farming).

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
This is quite an old idea and for me it's similar appealing. It's called an arcology, there where plan to build something like this in Dubai before the financial crisis but the plan was cancelled than. There exist other plans to build one in Tokio but this may just an idea. 

Form my point of view this could be very beneficial especially if this towers are self sufficient in terms of energy and food (vertical farming).

But first, there needs to be a market demand for buildings of that nature. It's hard to think of a reason why we would want a building like that at present time. Perhaps, a visionary will come along and show us why we NEED this type of architecture to sustain our civilization.

Malgidus

Malgidus

Four Lefts From Reality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationCanada

An arcology that was self-sustainable and supported thousands of people would by extremely awesome. However, I don't think they are "needed" at this time, as many people prefer comfort over a horizontal area and we are well within our means to support the needs of ten billion people on the planet if resources were allocated efficiently.

My mind has been torn into Oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the Oblivion, and through Zen, tear the Universe anew.

Tradesman by day, [game] programmer by night. Philosopher all day long. @Malgidus |Forest Bear Studios

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Personally living in a tower my whole life sounds like hell. Its like the capital planet in Orson Scott Card's The Worthing Saga in which the worlds inhabitants live in a massive endless maze of steel corridors.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Personally living in a tower my whole life sounds like hell. Its like the capital planet in Orson Scott Card's The Worthing Saga in which the worlds inhabitants live in a massive endless maze of steel corridors.

You have a vivid imagination, I suppose. But luckily for us, things tend to turn out differently than we expect.

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina

But first, there needs to be a market demand for buildings of that nature. It's hard to think of a reason why we would want a building like that at present time. Perhaps, a visionary will come along and show us why we NEED this type of architecture to sustain our civilization.

There are ares in the world where building ground is so expensive that it would make sense (Tokyo is an example for that, why they have the idea there to build things like an arcology on the water or the skycity. Even though this are extreme expensive buildings, the building costs are still a minority of the overall costs.

Edited by tornado64, 28 March 2013 - 01:16 PM.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

There are ares in the world where building ground is so expensive that it would make sense (Tokyo is an example that, why they have the idea there to build things like an arcology on the water or the skycity. That even if this are extreme expensive buildings, the building costs are still a minority of the overall costs.

Or perhaps Hong Kong will be the very first... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users