Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Self-Transporting Bin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Today I woke up at 6 am to have a walk and the trash bins were full for days. Finally a van came and off loaded them.

I wonder if in the near future we can have a self trasporting bin who go offload themselves at the t tip.

It wont be more clean but it will prevent also huge vans to stuck cars in the traffic.

You know here in Rome roads are so small and when the trash van offloads cans there is always huge traffic.

I also wonder when trash bins will change design.

Posted Image

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Today I woke up at 6 am to have a walk and the trash bins were full for days. Finally a van came and off loaded them.

I wonder if in the near future we can have a self trasporting bin who go offload themselves at the t tip.

It wont be more clean but it will prevent also huge vans to stuck cars in the traffic.

You know here in Rome roads are so small and when the trash van offloads cans there is always huge traffic.

I also wonder when trash bins will change design.

Posted Image

I think it'll be more cost efficient if we focus on the ways we can recycle all our waste in-house, or within our neighborhood. It'll require a relatively quick breakdown of the molecular structure of the waste and somehow resuse these molecule groups for other things. It'll be doable but it's a technological feat we aren't just ready yet.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Thats also true. I believe that in the future we will have a tube inside of the house where you throw your trash. This trash goes to a common tip in the neighboor, possibly underground, and atoms are divided one by one and then recycled. These atoms of the previous waste could be used for our printing machines at home and to assemble objects.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Something I've always thought would be a good idea, would be to have an underground waste/recycling system similar to a sewer connected to all households and linking them with a waste management and recycling centre. Civilians would simply place their waste into the correct tube for the material, and it would be transported directly to the waste management centre via vacuum. Obviously, this would be a hugely massive project to build. But then again, it's no more extreme than the sewers that have been in use in Victorian times. Once it was complete, its practicality would pay off hugely, and I can honestly see this becoming a reality in the not-too-distant future.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Thats also true. I believe that in the future we will have a tube inside of the house where you throw your trash. This trash goes to a common tip in the neighboor, possibly underground, and atoms are divided one by one and then recycled. These atoms of the previous waste could be used for our printing machines at home and to assemble objects.

Literally just realised that you posted this just before me. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a good idea!

Malgidus

Malgidus

Four Lefts From Reality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationCanada

Cities could be designed much more efficiently keeping in mind the needs of people, the environment, and emerging technologies. Masdar is an excellent example of this, but should be employed on a much larger scale. If only more than a few corporations and nations had the ambition to do so.

I think in designing systems for a city that we look at what is most efficient when decentralized and what is best when centralized. And perhaps for some systems, have both types of systems integrated together. For example, generating energy. A building should generate and recycle as much energy as it can, but when it can't, it should still be connected to "the grid" or a larger, central power system. However, in less dense places of the world, just solar panels on the roof will provide the majority of your energy needs.

But first and foremost we need to keep in mind our needs. That is, if you have too much trash, look at what you're buying. Are you buying products with wasteful packaging? Are you buying too many things only to throw things away? Find ways in which you can reduce this

• purchase most of your things in packaging which can be recycled or reused efficiently, or better yet, broken down in your back yard.
  • don't buy things you don't want, and if you want something, try not to buy it unless you "need" it
  • dematerialize everything you can -- just this decade the watch, calculator, GPS, flashlight, camera, and myriad other devices dematerialized.

Then, when you do need to "throw" away something.

• compost it if you can
  • recycle it if you can
  • donate it if someone else would benefit it
  • In a few years, purchase a 3D printer and possibly something that melts down materials for you (or go halfsies with your neighbour, or neighbours, etc.)
  • If you have useless things that can be used as 3D printed material, use it.

As for a decentralized approach to this:

• smart garbage/recycling bins could potentially pilot themselves
  • they could be powered by solar power and supplemented by your house's electrical power
  • they could potentially go to larger centralized recycling areas and there perhaps a simple automated system could sort its contents
  • this would be much more efficient than having us lazy humans go through our trash.

I don't see the undercity landscape for old areas changing very slowly, so we only have above ground to work with for now, but instead of tubes, it could be very efficient to house all transportation underneath cities, decreasing the actual size of a city by 50% and increasing the city's efficiency by a squared factor (by 400% for a 50% size reduction).

Edited by Malgidus, 22 March 2013 - 04:41 AM.

My mind has been torn into Oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the Oblivion, and through Zen, tear the Universe anew.

Tradesman by day, [game] programmer by night. Philosopher all day long. @Malgidus |Forest Bear Studios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users