Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2015: Are you more excited for Dawn or New Horizons?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Are you more excited for the Dawn probe arriving at Ceres or New Horizons arriving at Pluto and its moons?

I am personally anticipating Dawn, because I just can't get over that there is a dwarf planet in the asteroid belt. And because there is a greater chance of a manned exploration of Ceres in the future.

midnightr

midnightr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

To be honest I find it difficult to get excited about non human space travel. Probes going to the edges of the solar system don't really interest me. Bearing that in mind I think what I'm most looking forward to reading about is a manned mission to Mars. 

Still hoping Mars One will happen, but everyone thinks it's a bit far fetched. Who knows eh!

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

New Horizons is more intriguing to me.

Edit: I saw that this topic was posted twice a moderator should close the redundant one.

Edited by MarcZ, 21 March 2013 - 04:01 AM.

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
New Horizons is more intriguing to me.

Edit: I saw that this topic was posted twice a moderator should close the redundant one.

Yes. I'm not really sure how that happened  :laugh:

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

I'm excited for both... can't decide. While I'd like to see what Pluto looks like other than a few blurry, pixelated images... the chances of us going to it in my lifetime for a manned mission is next to nothing. I have a pretty good chance of seeing these asteroids or dwarf planets mined within my lifetime so that gets me more excited than the New Horizons mission.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.

Well i'd say i'm excited more about New Horizons.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,747 posts
  • LocationLondon

New Horizons. You should've done a poll.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

I find it hard to really get excited about it as well. While I am very interested in what they find, I just don't have a lot of motivation. Probes and stuff seem pretty common now. I really want to see us doing something lasting instead of just information gathering.

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
New Horizons. You should've done a poll.

Yea, Captain Hindsight is kicking my ass right now  :biggrin:

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

New Horizons. I've always liked Pluto more than Ceres, even though the latter has earlier colonization chance, simply because (correct me if I'm wrong) it's so cold that it should snow air. That's pretty cool.

• Cody930 likes this

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

2015 will be the year of dwarf planets :)

And both attractions will start more or less in same time - Dawn should enter Ceres orbit in february, same month the New Horizons will begin observations of Pluto. But it won't be untill may when quality of it's images will exceed that of Hubble. Flyby will take place in mid july :)

I can't make up my mind between those two. But I guess there is more thrill involved in New Horizons. Dawn already is a great successs, giving us huge ammount of data on Vesta. It also moves slower. New Horizons on other hand is hurtling towards Pluto and it's unknown number of moons, it has quite limited time to get all the data, for all we know it may just crash into some icy body in Kuper Belt.

• Cody930 likes this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

I'm excited for both, I think the more information we can gather the better.  I want to live to see the day when the solar system (including the kuiper belt and even the oort cloud) is completely surveyed and mapped.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
I'm excited for both, I think the more information we can gather the better.  I want to live to see the day when the solar system (including the kuiper belt and even the oort cloud) is completely surveyed and mapped.

Agreed. I'm pretty excited about which KBO(s) it will visit after.

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US

Leaning with New Horizons. Cannot wait to get clearer pics of Pluto for once. :)

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.
I'm pretty excited about which KBO(s) it will visit after.

They'll probably go for Eris(Heaviest dwarf planet) or Sedna(Extremely elliptical orbit, up to 31x further from the sun than Neptune. Currently 'close'), or maybe both. Or maybe they'll just decide there's little worth exploring in the Kuiper Belt altogether (Who knows? New Horizons won't JUST go for Pluto, and it may find something we didn't know about) and focus on the asteroid belt.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users