Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Can an EMP harm an AI?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

I tend to think that AIs, especially the super intelligent ones, have some sort of denfense against EMPs. 

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Yeah, I'm pretty sure more advanced versions of AIs will be completely immune to EMPs. Think about this - humans are basically complex machines and are completely immue to an EMP blast, so once AIs become more like us...

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia

On a physical level, they are still running on electronic circuits, so just like the toughest physical object is vulnerable to a powerful physical attack, AI is vulnerable to having its printed circuits fried. 

Of course, there are also defences, and not to mention backups. 

CLB

CLB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what Faraday cages are for?

If something I say sounds like trolling/being stupid/offensive, please forgive me. I'm bad with people.

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia

It might work, but are you sure it's feasible to enclose all the components of a distributed system? 

CLB

CLB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Hmm... that's a good point. The protection from wide-range attacks you'd gain from collecting parts together you'd lose in protection from precision attacks.

If something I say sounds like trolling/being stupid/offensive, please forgive me. I'm bad with people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users