Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First generation of androids circa. 2025-2030?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
Hey guys im new to the forum and this is my first post. Do you guys think that around 2025-2030 the first gen android robots will be commercially available.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Malgidus

Malgidus

Four Lefts From Reality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationCanada

Yes, by then, for sure. What do you mean by "android" though?

My mind has been torn into Oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the Oblivion, and through Zen, tear the Universe anew.

Tradesman by day, [game] programmer by night. Philosopher all day long. @Malgidus |Forest Bear Studios

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Yes, by then, for sure. What do you mean by "android" though?

humanoid robots.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

We already got humanoid looking robots, so it seems pretty reasonable. Right now there are some limits to them, but in 15 more years I think we will resolve most of those issues.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,763 posts
  • LocationLondon

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARwIn-OP

if you've got 12,000 dollars to spare you can have one from robotis.

for a bit more you can get Nao

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Nao_(robot)

it'll be some time before they are more useful and capable of better interaction. depends on what functions you have in mind.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Yeah, like jaggard says, they already exist. Here's one you can purchase for a much more affordable price, around $1,000: http://www.kurzweila...-for-under-1000

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I think it's important to distinguish the differences between Androids/gynoids, robots, animatronics and automatons.

Automatons are anything that mechanically moves without somebody instructing it's motions. Wind up toys and more complex performance pieces for example, but usually they are the equivalent of a record player performing a linear series of actions. Then do not sense, and thus are not sentient. They do not think, thus they are not cognizant.

Animatronics are essentially electro mechanical puppets. In many cases they are also automatons. Set a program with a start and finish and no senses or thought. Occasionally as seems to be the case with the geminoids, they are puppets controlled remotely.

Robots usually have at least on sense, and use it to get information with which it thinks about what to do based on the programs it's given. Object observed in location B, program states move all objects in location B to location A. Move Object from B to A.  This requires senses, thus they can be sentient. And it requires the ability to respond to that sensory input that boarders on cognizance. The use of robot to refer to an elctro mechanical device controlled via remote control is not unheard of but this in my mind is a confused use. There are already terms for that. (remote manipulatortelefactor, telemanipulator, or waldo)

Androids and Gynoids are essentially electromechanical artificial Men and Women. The qualification is more about appearances and movement than anything concerning cognizance. They wouldn't need to think, simply to respond to inputs with the proper responses programed.

But it's customary when speaking of androids to think of autonomous, robotic humanoids. at what point does it become humanoid enough to qualify is variable. I would say the Darwins qualify. But others want Data from star trek TNG before they are willing to call it an android. How about Wal-e or Jonny 5? Androids or robots?

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users