Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When will we be able to cure all infections?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: When will we be able to cure all infections? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

When will we cure all infections?

1. Before 2500 (optimistic!) (7 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. 2500 - 3000 (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. 3000 - 4000 (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. 4000 - 5000 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 5000 - 10,000 (1 votes [8.33%])

6. After 10,000 (pessamistic!) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Never (very pessamistic!) (1 votes [8.33%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

When do you think we will be able to cure all bacterial, fungal, viral, protozoic and parasitic infections instantly? Obviously right now it is very difficult to imagine the chemicals and/or technology that would be needed in the future to achieve this, but roughly when do you think it will be?

Avalanche

Avalanche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I'm an optimist, however viruses evolve to fight antibiotics. I believe that all serious diseases will be cured, but things such as the common cold will just continue to keep mutating and getting people infected. Especially with a global population of <10billion - it will be very easy for viruses to spread. 

• Time_Traveller likes this

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.
I'm an optimist, however viruses evolve to fight antibiotics. I believe that all serious diseases will be cured, but things such as the common cold will just continue to keep mutating and getting people infected. Especially with a global population of <10billion - it will be very easy for viruses to spread. 

Me too, Even if we cure most infections others will come along and evolve to fight the current antibiotics, So i say around 5-10,000 AD.

Edited by Time_Traveller, 04 April 2013 - 08:49 AM.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

With nanotechnology within the next 100-200 years we won't need antibiotics and just an injection of nanobots (providing they don't self-replicate within the body) to fix the infection. They just need a base model of what things are supposed to look like and then they eradicate the intruders.

• Casey likes this

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
There could be some unimaginable type of pathogen which we will encounter far in the future, like the flood from Halo. But tat aside it'll prob be 100-200 years once we are disease free if medical development continues its course.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

I would hope that disease-resistant artificial organs make this largely a non-issue way, way before the 2500s.

Malgidus

Malgidus

Four Lefts From Reality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationCanada

I posit this problem is a lot harder than just curing aging. There are also new things to cure all the time. Decreasing the time between a new infection being discoverd and some sort of cure is essential. But another solution is decreasing what can be infected, i.e. mind uploading, etc. But that may open a whole other door on what is an "infection".  

I imagine the timeline for eliminating most unwanted infections to be a decade or so after we fix aging (2030-2030), but it will be much longer before everything can be cured.

Edited by Malgidus, 06 April 2013 - 08:16 AM.

My mind has been torn into Oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the Oblivion, and through Zen, tear the Universe anew.

Tradesman by day, [game] programmer by night. Philosopher all day long. @Malgidus |Forest Bear Studios

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I think it will be within this century.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users