Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sci fi tropes that annoy you?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Anon01

Anon01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

So what tropes in fiction preferably Sci fi fiction annoy you the most?

Here is mine:

http://tvtropes.org/.../IWantMyJetpack

This trope annoys me a lot whenever someone mentions something like this. I mean, we are kind of in the future. Maybe not the ones retro futurism made it out to be. But atleast I would rather live in this timeline than what the Fallout universe is before the war. Also, we do have computers, cell phones, video games and so on.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • LocationUK

I'm sure the 'I want my jetpack' trope is the bane of everyone on this forum. Whenever I discuss the likely near future possibilities that technology will bring I often get this sort of response, many of the things which 'proper' scientists predicted have occurred and often have been exceeded. People just need to look around, in certain areas we have already progressed far beyond the imaginations of the average 60's person who could only envisage hoverbikes and jetbacks as the pinnacle of technological advancement.

• Casey likes this

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

SPACE IS COLD. Nothing annoys me more!

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

The majority of space is cold...

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

The ambient temperature of space is cold. The few molecules floating at random in space are cold.

But the majority of space is vacuum, one of the best insulators in the universe, and I can not stand it when a movie or book talks about how going outside without a space suit will freeze you solid in mere seconds! There's almost nothing out there for you to conduct your heat into, and radiating it off is very, very slow.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

i dont know if it's a trope but star wars and light speed always bothered me. light speed will not get you anywhere if you're trying to do interstellar travel casually, and you wouldn't "wait" till you reach your destination at light speed either. The universe would end the instant you achieve light speed due to the 100% time dilation too. right? So basically you'd just die (in your eyes) which makes it suicide. This is why i prefer star trek and 'warp drive'.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

CLB

CLB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
The game Star Trek Online insists on calling every star system a solar system. Also Star Trek's flippant attitude towards consistent laws of time travel.

If something I say sounds like trolling/being stupid/offensive, please forgive me. I'm bad with people.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

'I Want My Jetpack' really pisses me off. Fucking morons. I've never heard of The West Wing before now, but remind me never to watch it. (Dismissing the vast impact of the internet - yes, I know the specific dialogue itself was meant as hyperbole - proves what a dipshit the character who delivered that so-called 'epic rant' is.)

Edited by Casey, 05 April 2013 - 05:20 AM.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
I am annoyed at how 90% of sci fi, epically in the recent decade, has pictured dystopias or post apocalyptic senarios. It seems Hollywood wants to discourage everybody about the future.
  • Time_Traveller and Casey like this

CLB

CLB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
@razer1994 that irritates me too, though to be fair no one would see a movie where everything was perfect and nothing bad happened.

If something I say sounds like trolling/being stupid/offensive, please forgive me. I'm bad with people.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

"You look like Darth Vader"

That statement really annoys the hell out of me because 99% of the time I don't even or try to look like this Sith Lord. For example, I designed a mask in a clay molding class to resemble the face of Seth from the Egyptian mythology and put it on to show my Dad - he said "heh, you look like Darth Vader." How's that for annoying?

• CamGoldenGun, zEVerzan, NightWolf235 and 1 other like this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

hellgorama

hellgorama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
I am annoyed at how 90% of sci fi, epically in the recent decade, has pictured dystopias or post apocalyptic senarios. It seems Hollywood wants to discourage everybody about the future.

I know, but when you look at our current culture, I think what they depict maybe the best case scenario. The worst case being extinction of the human race.

zen_mutiny

zen_mutiny

Post-Singularitarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Modern day guns and land vehicles. I want rayguns and hovercraft, dammit! I guess that's why I always played as Vanu Sovereignty in Planetside.

Edited by zen_mutiny, 05 April 2013 - 07:06 PM.

stuffed_leader

stuffed_leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationprescott, AZ

I know, but when you look at our current culture, I think what they depict maybe the best case scenario. The worst case being extinction of the human race.

I think the future will be Utopian, or at least Utopian in comparison. No matter how bad each age of time became, the human race still moved on to the next. Intelligence and technology prevail in our race eventually, from stone knifes to quantum bits. 

I hate flying cars in sci-fi. They travel in a strait line, people DRIVE them, there is somehow traffic in midair, and they run on fuel in some sci-fi's. 

Omega point or extinction.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
@razer1994 that irritates me too, though to be fair no one would see a movie where everything was perfect and nothing bad happened.

Cept me. But i'm weird.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Yes, it might be true. But it can also create a self fulfilling prophecy. I think the future will be Utopian, or at least Utopian in comparison. No matter how bad each age of time became, the human race still moved on to the next. Intelligence and technology prevail in our race eventually, from stone knifes to quantum bits. We will have good times and bad times as a species as we have always had. I hate flying cars in sci-fi. They travel in a strait line, people DRIVE them, there is somehow traffic in midair, and they run on fuel in some sci-fi's. 

Why would people not fly them in a straight line? I agree with you that the traffic does not make sense as there are unlimited paths when flying. But I do not see why you are irritated that they run on fuel. Everything needs some kind of energy source. If you are specifically referring to gasoline then yes, a flying car would be developed at a time when better energy sources had been produced. Unless we all get personal jets, which could happen now if people tried.

stuffed_leader

stuffed_leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationprescott, AZ
^^ I was referring to actual gasoline. And the strait line thing goes with the fact that there is traffic. Everyone just stays in a line as if they are on a road instead of flying parabolic (the fastest way in the air).

Edited by stuffed_leader, 06 April 2013 - 06:30 AM.

Omega point or extinction.

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Most aliens are humanoid, roughly with the same physical parameters as humans. 

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
It would be funny if aliens look like us. But since a lot of our mutations come from the fact that we are intelligent, I think other intelligent life would look similar.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
It would be funny if aliens look like us. But since a lot of our mutations come from the fact that we are intelligent, I think other intelligent life would look similar.

What is intelligence?

All kinds of complications, paradoxes, etc., after you think hard about this.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users