Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sci fi tropes that annoy you?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Like it was told before, slaves are expensive and inefficient compared to robots, let alone that they won't survive or function well in a planet with different gravity or climate or atmosphere. 

I was kind of jokingly hinting at the existence of Wraiths from Stargate Atlantis lol... "feeding ground" was the clue.

What if for some strange reason, a culture advanced enough never developed robotics because of an abundance of slaves and their economy revolved around the procurement and habitat for them? I mean if there was a species that communicated telepathically, you wouldn't see inventions like the telephone. If the need isn't there, the technology might not get developed. 

That's why when meeting an alien civilization for the first time, never presume anything, no matter how you perceive them to be! Like you, they've probably had billions of years to evolve in ways that are totally beyond our comprehension - so the normal greeting between two parties that meet for the first time may completely be an unique Earth-construct that is totally foreign to that alien civilization, let alone the entire Universe. Computers don't take the time to "greet" when they are connected for the first time - they just plow through with information that is instanteously converted. That alien civilization may use that method when they sense our presence... it's gonna be rough, for sure! Talk about being "screwed" to a new level. LOL

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Good point about not assuming things. However, space exploration requires developed robotics - even with abundance of slaves. 

BTW, no one guarantees the aliens will be necessarily advanced - in case we come to their world first. It is possible that due to physical or biological constraints some things are nearly out of reach for them. For example, imagine living under an icy sky, like on Europa or Ganymede. 

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Good point about not assuming things. However, space exploration requires developed robotics - even with abundance of slaves. BTW, no one guarantees the aliens will be necessarily advanced - in case we come to their world first. It is possible that due to physical or biological constraints some things are nearly out of reach for them. For example, imagine living under an icy sky, like on Europa or Ganymede. 

Or they might just be at a lower stage of technological development.

Practical Mind

Practical Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationAustralia

True. But then, there is no danger of being overrun by them. 

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

True. But then, there is no danger of being overrun by them. 

Infact, the aliens should be worried about being over run by us. AKA Avatar.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

I kinda supported the humans in Avatar.

The blue aliens were kinda weird, and I'd just feel horrible supporting a primitive alien race, as opposed to my own. Call it species-ism but I will always support Humans over Aliens.

The Sci-fi trope that annoys me the most is the size of space ships! Have you noticed how big the ships in sci fi universes like Star wars are?

Posted Image

Ahem, that was a big picture, but I needed to get it large enough for you guys to see. Look at the very bottom of the chart. See that Star Trek Cravic/Pralor Ship? Right. Well that is 450m, or around the size of the biggest container ship in the world ~50m. Now look at the Imperial Super Star Destroyer at 17,000 metres. That is completely overkill (and whilst awesome) is massively unrealistic. A ship that size would be impractical on all counts.

But I still love to see them! The bigger the better I say! (But still unrealistic)

• Raklian likes this

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Ever play EvE?

According to the lore the entire ship is piloted by a single pilot in his pod, but the Titan size vessels were gigantic.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

I think they are about 9 miles? somebody correct me if wrong.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Yeah something outrageous like that.

I liked that game, music and atmosphere was excellent. It's sad but I'd happily spend a lot of my time playing that game.

stuffed_leader

stuffed_leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationprescott, AZ
If I was some sort of ruler that controlled many worlds I would want a humongous super ship with thousands of crew. Its space, you have all the room in the universe.
Omega point or extinction.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

But if something happened to that ship you would lose a hell of a lot. Smaller but more numerous ships would be a safer bet

stuffed_leader

stuffed_leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationprescott, AZ
But if something happened to that ship you would lose a hell of a lot. Smaller but more numerous ships would be a safer bet

Yeah A giant ship would be more a monument to my greatness than a functional weapon like the death star. 

• Colonel O'Neil likes this
Omega point or extinction.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Yeah A giant ship would be more a monument to my greatness than a functional weapon like the death star. 

Also colony ships, military ships, and nomad ships would have to be large.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Hmm maybe...So that if pesky aliens caught sight of it they would fear the mighty Stuffed Leader! 

Posted Image

• stuffed_leader likes this

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

There are a lot of benefits to a large ship though O'Niel. Larger ship = larger power source = higher potential shield / weapon strength (proportional to its size). Presumably the shielding would also be more efficient. The result is a ship that can survive longer & deal more damage than 1000 smaller ships. Not only can it deal more damage to multiple units but it also has the potential for HUGE sustained single target burst that can completely destroy a planets surface. 

They're just one part of a bigger army too. They're essentially there to soak up damage, enabled by their ridiculously powerful shields, and to hold a ground army capable of invading planets. 

You talk about risk, but battle is all about calculating risk & larger ships are the ones least likely to be destroyed. In the empires mind if you lose it doesn't matter how many ships you've lost or lives, the fact is you've lost. Say you go into a battle with 1000 small ships against the enemies 800. You win, but you lose 600 ships in the process. Say you go into battle with a large ship worth 1000 small ones, you'll leave with that same large ship, almost completely damage free although perhaps lacking some energy.

When you've got shields like in sci fi, a large ship makes a lot of sense, especially if you have the stronger army (as the Galactic Empire did).

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
There are a lot of benefits to a large ship though O'Niel. Larger ship = larger power source = higher potential shield / weapon strength (proportional to its size). Presumably the shielding would also be more efficient. The result is a ship that can survive longer & deal more damage than 1000 smaller ships. Not only can it deal more damage to multiple units but it also has the potential for HUGE sustained single target burst that can completely destroy a planets surface. 

They're just one part of a bigger army too. They're essentially there to soak up damage, enabled by their ridiculously powerful shields, and to hold a ground army capable of invading planets. 

You talk about risk, but battle is all about calculating risk & larger ships are the ones least likely to be destroyed. In the empires mind if you lose it doesn't matter how many ships you've lost or lives, the fact is you've lost. Say you go into a battle with 1000 small ships against the enemies 800. You win, but you lose 600 ships in the process. Say you go into battle with a large ship worth 1000 small ones, you'll leave with that same large ship, almost completely damage free although perhaps lacking some energy.

When you've got shields like in sci fi, a large ship makes a lot of sense, especially if you have the stronger army (as the Galactic Empire did).

I didn't think of it like that! Good analysis! I'll have to think of another annoying trope!

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

There are a lot of benefits to a large ship though O'Niel. Larger ship = larger power source = higher potential shield / weapon strength (proportional to its size). Presumably the shielding would also be more efficient. The result is a ship that can survive longer & deal more damage than 1000 smaller ships. Not only can it deal more damage to multiple units but it also has the potential for HUGE sustained single target burst that can completely destroy a planets surface. They're just one part of a bigger army too. They're essentially there to soak up damage, enabled by their ridiculously powerful shields, and to hold a ground army capable of invading planets. You talk about risk, but battle is all about calculating risk & larger ships are the ones least likely to be destroyed. In the empires mind if you lose it doesn't matter how many ships you've lost or lives, the fact is you've lost. Say you go into a battle with 1000 small ships against the enemies 800. You win, but you lose 600 ships in the process. Say you go into battle with a large ship worth 1000 small ones, you'll leave with that same large ship, almost completely damage free although perhaps lacking some energy. When you've got shields like in sci fi, a large ship makes a lot of sense, especially if you have the stronger army (as the Galactic Empire did).

I didn't think of it like that! Good analysis! I'll have to think of another annoying trope!

Actually, the small single piloted ships are a trope, espicially when they engage in dog fights in space while larger ships fight each other. In naval battles, you don't see speed boats fighting each other as battle ships also engage.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Kim Jong Un would wan't the star wars galactic ship in order to compensate for his little penis syndrome. Big missiles for our dear leader.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
Actually, the small single piloted ships are a trope, espicially when they engage in dog fights in space while larger ships fight each other. In naval battles, you don't see speed boats fighting each other as battle ships also engage.

But you do see fighter jets and bombers attacking other fighter jets and ships that were launched from a carrier :p

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Not sure if it's already mentioned earlier, but anyone noticed the lack of particle physics in low-gravity space? Here's one example, most small-scale fighters have thrusters only in the back and they often make sharp turns that isn't possible without having thrusters to the sides to generate the force necessary for the turns. Look at the Viper MK fighters in the Battlestar Galactica show - they only have three thrusters in the back and they made battle maneuvers that didn't make any physical sense in vaccuum and low-gravity.

The human space-fighters (Starfuries) in the Babylon 5 series finally got it right! :)

Posted Image

• stuffed_leader likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users