Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

General gaming news and discussion

• Please log in to reply
662 replies to this topic

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
I figured now was as good a time as any to start a thread about computer gaming, given all the announcements coming out of E3! I'll get us going with a very brief roundup of latest news;

New Nintendo console, the 'Wii U' - Not too sure about that control pad!

http://uk.kotaku.com...nsole-the-wii-u
http://uk.kotaku.com...er-on-the-wii-u

Kinect compatible game support 'explodes' with major titles such as Fifa 12 and Mass Effect 3 implementing the technology;

http://www.engadget....3-hop-on-board/

Also... Halo 4!

http://kotaku.com/58...ress-conference

Not really been following PS3 news... other than seeing that a game I wanted to play will be PS3 exlcusive... http://www.dust514.com

~Jon

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,616 posts
  • LocationLondon
http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-13689609

Posted Image

Nintendo unveils new Wii console

Gaming giant Nintendo has been showing off its next-generation Wii game console, at the E3 games show in Los Angeles.

The much-anticipated console, dubbed Wii U, comes with a controller that features a touchscreen and camera.

The original Wii console was hugely popular but Nintendo has faced pressure from rivals with similar devices.

Nintendo hopes the new console will create a new genre of gaming.

Wii U will feature a set-top box similar to the first generation console.

But the 6.2-inch touchscreen controller comes with a front-facing camera as well as the more traditional buttons of a Wii remote and a motion detector.

It will broadcast high-definition video and can be used to make video calls and browse the web.
Privacy

In demos, the Japanese gaming giant showed off some of the things the controller will allow - including offering users a private screen to view gameplay information that is not shared on the big screen.

It will also allow users of games such as Wii Fit to weigh themselves and get a read-out via the controller rather than the TV.

Users can also swap game play between the big screen and the controller, for instance if someone else wants to watch TV.

Wii U is "an interesting new concept" thinks Dan Pearson, a staff writer at Gamesindustry.biz.

"It is a hybrid between a handheld with elements of tablet design but also has all the traditional controller elements," he said.

"Initially people may be confused by the controller but so were they when the first Wii was unveiled," he said.

Nintendo was also keen to show off the processing power of the new console.

"Nintendo has been under fire for chasing casual gamers and it is good to see them trying to win back core gamers," said Mr Pearson.

Wii U will work with older games and controllers and will be available from spring 2012.

There was no indication of the price of the new console.
  • Futurist likes this

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
This has me confused. Nintendo and Wii ushered in the new era of gesture based gaming and now they are going back to a handheld monster controller? Doesn't make any sense to me!!!! I am not a gamer, but this looks strange. How will you use both this tablet controller and the Wiimote? So have they given up on the wiimotes? They could have definitely added more features and functionality to that device than make an entirely new one!
  • Caiman likes this
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
Here's a trailer: I've been a fan of the Wii, and I've been impressed how Nintendo recaptured the household market and managed to get people who normally don't play, ie citizens, to play. However, with this, I fear it might be too much and too intimidating for that market. It just seems to add a layer of complexity and a layer of technology where one isn't really needed, because the beauty of the Wii was its simplicity. And because of this, I'm kind of disappointed.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

Azevo

Azevo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Was thinking of starting a thread with E3 on and all, I must say, the biggest surprise for me is Halo 4, but my question is how he got a jet pack in a cryo-chamber. No mention of the PS Vita? :p

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
I’m not generally interested in Sony news, so I’ll leave it to someone else to extol their virtues in this thread :p Interesting video Redshirt, I’d say it all looks a bit gimmicky but eh, I thought the same of the wiimote and Kinect and look how they took off... Right now the main event of the year that I am looking forward to is the release of Battlefield 3, which looks incredible and a notch above Modern Warfare 3, though I have the feeling that the latter might perform better sales wise riding on the success of the series recently, it’s been a long time since Battlefield 2...

~Jon

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
Yeah, I think the big barrier in all this is the price of the controller. The way we see it in this video made me shudder. I sincerely hope that it's not mandatory and more of an accessory, with the Wiimotes being the main way of controlling things. That said, I hope there's a way to select controller configurations and tell the system wether you want to pair the controller with the wiimotes or not which would tailor the gameplay depending on the controller configuration. I certainly don't want to have to put the controller down on the floor in order to play Golf like they show in the video. What if there are a number of hyper kids around who accidentally step on it? Bad news for something expensive like that. I just can't see it ending well. And I know it will happen. It's just a matter of time. Oh and seeing I just got a PS3 weeks before the network intrusion, I'm not much of an expert on it, but at least everyone's getting two free games out of it. I've got Uncharted 2, GT5 and Red Dead Redemption among the multiplayer titles. If anyone here has a PS3, hook me up.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,616 posts
  • LocationLondon

Right now the main event of the year that I am looking forward to is the release of Battlefield 3, which looks incredible and a notch above Modern Warfare 3, though I have the feeling that the latter might perform better sales wise riding on the success of the series recently, it’s been a long time since Battlefield 2...

Indeed, Battlefield 3 looks absolutely stunning and I can't wait to play it.

I thought Crysis had amazing graphics, but this takes it to a new level...

• Italian Ufo likes this

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Here's new preview of Frostbite 2.0 engine, used also in Need for Speed: The Run. This technology in just awesome! Any game ever looked so real. I bet we have new "Crysis" tremor in game's physics and graphics! I was disappointed with Crysis 2 but not with BF3. What conference (Microsoft, Sony etc) was the best in your view? I think Microsoft has showed quite interesting dances with Kinect thing, but really it looks cool eventhough I doubt if it really is that practical. Anyway there was one cool thing: voice recognition: it allows people with pads to write messages and search really quickly (like 30x faster than with normal gamepad).

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
Both awesome videos guys. I really thought I wouldn't ever want to buy a gaming PC again... that my 360 would be enough. But Battlefield 3 is on my pre-order list and I need to build something that can play it in all its glory :p Thankfully I've got a few months to save up! In the meantime, I'm going to grab Duke Nukem Forever this Friday 10th. Cannot believe it's finally here! wo0t!

~Jon

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationUK
Console:
-IBM multi-core processor
-'Optical disc media'
-Flash based storage
-HDMI 1080p
-4x USB
-Supports all Wii games, controllers and accessories

Controller:
-6.2" multi-touch screen
-Accelerometer + Gyroscope
-Rumble
-Microphone
-Stereo speakers
-Acts as secondary screen (DS style)
-Acts as primary screen when TV is off
-Two analogue sticks
-Requires sensor bar

Games:
-Zelda
-New Super Mario Bros Mii
-Aliens Colonial Marines
-Battlefield 3
-Batman: Arkham City
-Darksiders II
-Dirt
-Metro Last Light
-Ninja Gaiden 3
-Tekken
-Tom Clancey's Ghost Recon Online

Videos:
Graphical tech demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSm-wZ8u4Yc

Third party lineup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcQZmctjles

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Azevo

Azevo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Right, so the Wii U, is a console and has a controller which has a touch screen LCD/LED (I'm not sure?) Is the hardware of the console is not really known yet? is it better than a 360 or a PS3? I'd hope so..

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
Yeah, I was initially confused by that as well, and the announcement trailer didn't help in that it made things even more confusing. From what a friend told me, the classic Wiimotes will be part of the package as well, yet the video didn't really show that. I guess it was mostly to highlight the new controller. From where I'm sitting, it looked like an added layer between the console and the TV, hence the viewport-like demo. As far as tech goes, it's going to be at least equal to the PS3 and the 360. At this point in time, it's not very hard to be doing that since the PS3 level tech wasn't even cutting edge back when it was released, but it does make it easier to have graphics that are at least comparable to the two systems, and they'll likely have the advantage of being slightly more advanced in terms of graphics as well. The thing that many people forget when something like this is mentioned, in saying that they think it would be too expensive for them to be doing, is that the technology is a lot cheaper now.

Azevo

Azevo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
I guess my question would be how long the life-span of it will be, of course there are no announcements of Sonys and Microsofts consoles, but from what I've heard, that microsoft expect their next console to be out around 2015-2016, as I recall that the 360 is expected to last a decade, and it was released 2005 wasn't it? I suppose they shouldn't be in any rush, as there are still all these great tittles they can bring out and such. Sony of course are rumored to want to bring something out earlier as the PS3 I'm guessing it is suppose to be an 8th generation console..

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
Does anyone play minecraft? I’ve not tried it yet and am a bit befuzzled at all the fuss, so maybe someone can sell me on it?

~Jon

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
I do, I do! I think I might have even asked you if you did at one point. Basically, it's a creative building game, using a procedurally generated game world. Kind of like legos, only better. Everything you make needs resources, so you've got to go looking for them by exploring. The world is made up of layers, so you often have to do a bit of mining to get to your resources, like iron, gold, diamond, etc. The deeper down you go, the more dangerous it is as you'll eventually encounter lava and monsters that you have to fight. The game has a day/night cycle and so throughout the world, monsters like zombies come out at night, which is why you've got to build yourself a shelter before night falls on your first day. While there is singleplayer, it can get a bit lonely at times, and the game shines in multiplayer where you get to see what others have built. I play on a multiplayer server and what we've built has turned into a town of sorts.
  • Caiman likes this

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
So are there lots of different, sharded servers then? Are they all persistently hosted by the game developers or independently? It does sound like a great, sandbox game and really quite simple in execution- it'll be very interesting to watch where it goes as development continues, I should give it a whirl.

~Jon

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
All independently run. You essentially find yourself a server, which is often run by friends like the one I'm on, and I guess you could say they're sharded, as they all end up looking different due to the different things being built, so they've all got their own flavours.. It's actually really amazing to see things develop over time. Myself, I built a very large house on a hill. Built it out of wood, so you can imagine the amount of wood I chopped down in order to make it. It's 5 floors high, complete with working stairs, and I've got myself a roof with a skylight to let the light come in, in the form of a pyramid, and due to a lightning rod type of thing, I've capped off at the max height one is allowed to build. So, it's quite high and quite fun to get a view of things when there's a thunderstorm. The game mechanics are quite interesting. Recipes are all relatively simple and there's a wiki for reference. There are also different biomes. The most common one is your forest biome, and then there's desert and snow. In the desert, it won't rain, and in the snow biome it will snow and freeze rivers. There are also texture packs. The default one is at 16x16, and is quite an eyesore to be honest. Some have made high-def texture packs which don't really fit in with the game and due to the limitations of the renderer, and often make things look worse. I personally use this one which I feel looks best, but it's all due to preference: http://www.minecraft...ebones-mixpack/ I could try getting you on the server I play on if you're interested. It's the best place to learn how to play the game.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.
Just bought Brink today and on the 6th mission and level 8 already, Does anyone else have it?

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Chronomaster

Chronomaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
^Never heard of it before, but nice video. The Wii U looks like a joke. Nintendo has lost the plot. Again.
Counting down...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users