Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How old do you expect to live to?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: Age (51 member(s) have cast votes)

How old do you predict you will live to?

1. Up to 80 years old (6 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

2. 80 - 90 years old (4 votes [7.84%])

Percentage of vote: 7.84%

3. 90 - 100 years old (2 votes [3.92%])

Percentage of vote: 3.92%

4. 100 - 120 years old (2 votes [3.92%])

5. 120 - 150 years old (1 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

6. 150 - 200 years old (3 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

7. 200 - 300 years old (2 votes [3.92%])

8. 300 - 400 years old (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. 400 - 500 years old (2 votes [3.92%])

10. 500 - 750 years old (0 votes [0.00%])

11. 750 - 1000 years old (0 votes [0.00%])

12. 1000 - 5000 years old (1 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

13. 5000 - 10000 years old (2 votes [3.92%])

14. Older than 10000 years (11 votes [21.57%])

Percentage of vote: 21.57%

15. Voted I think I will live forever. (15 votes [29.41%])

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
How old do you think you will live to be? Do you think that immortality will be possible during your lifetime?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Well, one can hope to live forever.

Isn't that what some of us strive for? I am one of them and I don't necessarily think I will stay human.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

there isn't an option for less than 80... lol... Current thoughts are I'd like to go around 75.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
My life goal is also to live forever, and I am sincerely hoping I will be able to. I'm trying to stay as healthy as possible until they invent anti-ageing, after which eventually I would probably pay to become partly non-biological and have an artificial body, and of course after this, I would be less likely to catch diseases and have a better chance of living forever. I am sincerely hoping I will succeed with this.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

there isn't an option for less than 80... lol... Current thoughts are I'd like to go around 75.

Up to 80 is the same as less than 80. ;)

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,051 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
My life goal is also to live forever, and I am sincerely hoping I will be able to. I'm trying to stay as healthy as possible until they invent anti-ageing, after which eventually I would probably pay to become partly non-biological and have an artificial body, and of course after this, I would be less likely to catch diseases and have a better chance of living forever. I am sincerely hoping I will succeed with this.

It's going to be incredibly challenging or a lot easier than we expect, depending on how things turn out. Nonetheless, the journey itself will be a wonderful thing to behold.

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

lol tomatoes tomatoes.

Me reading it sounds like 80 on the dot.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I would edit it to say "<80 years old", but I think it might erase the current votes. xD

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,051 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Well, my advice is this - the surefire way to have the best possible chance of living forever is to prepare to be cyropreserved in case the technology is not up to par by the time we are near death due to old age or disease.

This means having to save at least $100,000 to pay for this OR get an insurance policy that does indeed cover cyroperservation. There are a few out there.

I hope as more people ask to be cryopreserved, the cost of doing it will decrease due to economics of scale.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

It's going to be incredibly challenging or a lot easier than we expect, depending on how things turn out. Nonetheless, the journey itself will be a wonderful thing to behold.

I'm actually aiming to live to at least 200, and if I reach 200, my solid goal will be to live forever. I can only hope it will be easier than we expect.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

As things are, 80-90.

There are plenty of encouraging developments and talks of prolonging life and reversing the side affects of aging, but right now there isn't any solid reason to think I'll live even past my expected lifespan.

Of course, I'd love to live forever, or at least a very long time, to experience all the things our future has to offer.

I'm 23 right now, so if I live to my expected age of 80ish, that's almost another 60 years of scientific progress I could be privy to and I'm certainly not shy about the idea of augmenting or cybernetically improving my body or if I could afford it putting myself into stasis.

Pessimistically/Realistically: 80-90

Hopefully: 1000+

If I do live that long it only seems fitting that we all hook up in VR or cyberspace at some point for some fun (Sounded a bit more deviant than I intended).

Edited by Rkw, 10 April 2013 - 08:44 PM.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,051 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I would hate it if my dreams of living forever were cut short by some freak accident. That's my #1 threat to my existence. LOL

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I would hate it if my dreams of living forever were cut short by some freak accident. That's my #1 threat to my existence. LOL

Luckily for you, you probably wouldn't see that freak accident coming until it was all over.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Falling off a ladder, breaking your spine and dying in hospital the day before your 1000th birthday would be the worst luck. xD

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
Falling off a ladder, breaking your spine and dying in hospital the day before your 1000th birthday would be the worst luck. xD

Yup!

diseases

One of the reasons that I run BOINC/WCG projects.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,051 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Don't talk to a statisticist ever! If you meet one and tell him about your aspirations of living forever, he'll scoff at you and state that the odds of dying due to a quirk in nature will greatly increase once you start living after 80 years old... so by the time you're 1000 years old, you're at 99% risk of getting into a fatal accident. Ha!

Edited by Raklian, 10 April 2013 - 08:57 PM.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I posted this link here, but some of the new members will probably like it.

http://livingto100.com/

You have to make an account at the end to see your results but they never send anything to your email.  It's worth it. I get 99, but I can add more years by putting sunscreen on regularly and drinking wine.  In the USA you have to be 21 to drink.  Its a matter of life or death though, I don't see why I can't consume alcohol though..

I don't think this takes technological advancement into consideration, but 1995+99=2094, so by then hopefully some progress has happened lol.  Man, that is a long time from now.  49 years post-singularity.  I wonder how accurate that is?

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I'm actually aiming to live to at least 200, and if I reach 200, my solid goal will be to live forever. I can only hope it will be easier than we expect.

Flaw in that logic: if you reach 200 you probably didn't get there without a means to reverse aging.

So your goal should be to live until the technology comes out, which means aiming for 100.  That is about the maximum we as humans can do, and even that relies highly on genetics.  I believe in "longevity escape velocity", question is.. when will the first generation of true anti-aging technology come out?

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Flaw in that logic: if you reach 200 you probably didn't get there without a means to reverse aging.So your goal should be to live until the technology comes out, which means aiming for 100.  That is about the maximum we as humans can do, and even that relies highly on genetics.  I believe in "longevity escape velocity", question is.. when will the first generation of true anti-aging technology come out?

Well, the timeline predicts that the first bicentenarians will exist in 2160, which is what gave me the hope, lol!

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,051 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
I posted this link here, but some of the new members will probably like it.

http://livingto100.com/

You have to make an account at the end to see your results but they never send anything to your email.  It's worth it. I get 99, but I can add more years by putting sunscreen on regularly and drinking wine.  In the USA you have to be 21 to drink.  Its a matter of life or death though, I don't see why I can't consume alcohol though..

I don't think this takes technological advancement into consideration, but 1995+99=2094, so by then hopefully some progress has happened lol.  Man, that is a long time from now.  49 years post-singularity.  I wonder how accurate that is?

All of that assuming you don't inadverently get into an accident. So be very careful!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users