Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Immortality in 2045

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Chronicle

Chronicle

Excellent source of Vitamin C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I know that this isn't new news, but I wanted to share it with you guys because I wanted everyone to know.

If you haven't heard about it then here is the link ----> http://io9.com/59313...nk-its-possible

It's not really immortality because you can still die from an accident or something. And it won't be YOUR body that's living forever, it will be an avatar with your thoughts and memories imprinted in it. But your mind gets to live forever.

Russian entrepreneur Dmitri Itskov is currently being funded by the Forbes World Billionaires List on his project and in return he will grant them immortality for free. So if the worlds richest people are making a deal with him to get this project for free, then it must cost a lot.

But do you guys think that this will work? The world richest people are funding him so it must not be that crazy of an idea.

Dmitri's deadline is 2045 so just try to stay alive until then.

Edited by Chronicle, 18 April 2013 - 12:25 PM.

Yes.

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
But your mind gets to live forever.

I would say that it depends on whether the individual whose mind is going to "live forever" actually has their consciousness transferred, or if it is simply copied? Surely, if it were copied, it would not be the original individual's mind, rather, it would just be a 'clone' of it. I can't say how this will be done though.

Edited by Thaizasaskand, 12 April 2013 - 03:55 PM.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I think the 2045 date is a bit optimistic. My guess is that it will be later than that.

What difference does it make?

Chronicle

Chronicle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
But your mind gets to live forever.

I would say that it depends on whether the individual whose mind is going to "live forever" actually has their consciousness transferred, or if it is simply copied? Surely, if it were copied, it would not be the original individual's mind, rather, it wuld just be a 'clone' of it. I can't say how this will be done though.

You make a good point. In the prototype, it would be a anthropomorphic robot controlled through a brain to computer interface. So until it is fully developed and released to the public, the subjects consciousness would just be copied. When it is finished, it will be a synthetic carrier for personality and consciousness so most of the mind should be transferred. But i'm not sure how it would be done either.

Yes.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
I think the 2045 date is a bit optimistic. My guess is that it will be later than that.

I'll make my rise to fame by making the most optimistic timeline ever!

Here's my predictions for the future:

Tomorrow - The Singularity

May 2013 - Aging cured

June 2013 - Full-immersion virtual reality hits the mainstream

September 2013 - Space Elevator completed

November 2013 - Faster than light travel

February 1st 2014 - Terraforming of Mars begins

February 2nd 2014 - Terraforming of Mars complete

February 10th 2014 - Terraforming of our solar system's nine planets complete

June 2014 - Humanity becomes a Type I civilization

July 15th 2014, 8:30 AM - Humanity becomes a Type II civilization

July 15th 2014, 8:37 AM - Humanity becomes a Type IIII civilization

Believe it!

As for this project, I wish the people working on it the best. It's a great goal they're working towards.

Edited by Casey, 11 April 2013 - 12:59 AM.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

EDIT:

wow that was possibly the most ignorant thing I've ever posted.

Way to read the post correctly, SG-1.

Edited by SG-1, 11 April 2013 - 01:30 AM.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Well, if it really is you who is experiencing it and getting to possibly live indefinitely, it is definitely very good news.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

I'll make my rise to fame by making the most optimistic timeline ever! Here's my predictions for the future: Tomorrow - The SingularityMay 2013 - Aging curedJune 2013 - Full-immersion virtual reality hits the mainstreamSeptember 2013 - Space Elevator completedNovember 2013 - Faster than light travelFebruary 1st 2014 - Terraforming of Mars beginsFebruary 2nd 2014 - Terraforming of Mars completeFebruary 10th 2014 - Terraforming of our solar system's nine planets completeJune 2014 - Humanity becomes a Type I civilizationJuly 15th 2014, 8:30 AM - Humanity becomes a Type II civilizationJuly 15th 2014, 8:37 AM - Humanity becomes a Type IIII civilization Believe it! As for this project, I wish the people working on it the best. It's a great goal they're working towards.

If we encounter an alien type III civilization all of this could literally happen in a day.

johnny20

johnny20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I belong..

Have you ever thought what will happen in 2030? Here's some bold predictions I've read while I was reading a few blogs about 'predictions'. You can fully read the article here. Let me know your thoughts about the article.

Chronicle

Chronicle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
EDIT:

What did you post? I wasn't here to see it! I'm dying now of curiousity.

Yes.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

EDIT:....wow that was possibly the most ignorant thing I've ever posted.Way to read the post correctly, SG-1.

Me too! I've been struggling to contain the curiosity since 2:29 AM. xD

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

I think 2045 is a little optimistic too. I think longetivity will definitely become a little more popular, with the average human lifespan raising a few years. But i think this time period will be more focused on personal health. Sequencing your genome to detect diseases and cancers early and preventing them. People will take better care of their bodies because they actually see what harm they're doing to it. Also genome therapy could reduce ones risk of getting a harmful sickness, or atleast prevent it from being passed on in their gene pool. I think these things will definitely come, but immortality in just 30 years seems a little far fetched. That's Ray Kurzweil talking lol. His predictions usually come true but in my opinion they don't take effect till a little after he predicted.

Also can't you transfer your consciousness through quantum mechanical effect? I forget what it's called though. You'd need to actually transfer the information, not just copy it.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Anyone here looked into cryo-preservation? The costs seem to vary pretty wildly, from around 30k to 250k, but these are one of payments thankfully (Fairly achievable for those of us that are still young, or for those of us with assets that could be traded).

Would you trust current tech to correctly preserve you?

Would you trust them to house your body securely enough to last through years/decades/centuries?

This is related, but I can make a fresh thread if you want.

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationSlocan Park, BC

Immortality will not be ahcieved by 2045, but againg might definately be cured.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
EDIT:

I was being a little dramatic, but here it is, uncensored in its stupidity.

"I'm glad you didn't say Mars would take one year to terraform, one year and a day is more realistic"

Edited by SG-1, 12 April 2013 - 12:19 AM.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

lol! My curiosity has now been satisfied! Don't get it, though... xD

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I thought the poster above me

I'll make my rise to fame by making the most optimistic timeline ever!

Here's my predictions for the future:

Tomorrow - The Singularity

May 2013 - Aging cured

June 2013 - Full-immersion virtual reality hits the mainstream

September 2013 - Space Elevator completed

November 2013 - Faster than light travel

February 10th 2014 - Terraforming of our solar system's nine planets complete

June 2014 - Humanity becomes a Type I civilization

July 15th 2014, 8:30 AM - Humanity becomes a Type II civilization

July 15th 2014, 8:37 AM - Humanity becomes a Type IIII civilization

Believe it!

As for this project, I wish the people working on it the best. It's a great goal they're working towards.

Said that terraforming was completed Feb 2nd, 2015.

He said 2014.

Not that big of a deal

midnightr

midnightr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

One thing most rich people have in common: their age. They're old, and they don't want to die diseased & in pain. Consequently huge amounts of money gets ploughed into age related diseases. I am dubious about the idea of being able to implant our mind in machines, or move/copy it at all. 

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I wouldn't go ahead with this unless I knew that it would still be "me" who is alive, and not just a clone of my mind.

midnightr

midnightr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
I wouldn't go ahead with this unless I knew that it would still be "me" who is alive, and not just a clone of my mind.

I don't really know how you can guarantee that though. What's the difference between copying & transferring? If you think about it, the only thing that makes us "us" is our physical brain in it's current state. The only way to transfer our consciousness is to keep the brain intact, which kind of defeats the purpose of mind uploading. 

I don't see how you can upload your mind without copying it, that makes no sense to me at all. Once the information changes medium it's not the same information any more. After the procedure someone will wake up from that bed & from an outside perspective it will be you. But it won't be, the moment you fall asleep is the moment you die - "you" won't wake up. But you won't know, you're dead afterall! 

I guess all the matters is your perception beforehand, if you believe you'll wake up, because once you're asleep it doesn't matter any more, if you know what I mean.  

Edited by midnightr, 12 April 2013 - 03:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users