Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Immortality in 2045

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Well, I mean if this is immortality we're talking about, there's only point in doing it if you're going to benefit from it, and not a copy of your mind.

midnightr

midnightr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Yea, I just don't think that's ever going to be possible. Literally, ever, even in 1000000000 years. It makes no sense from a philosophical standpoint. The uploaded consciousness will be a copy, you're dead essentially. But then again how is this different to when we go to sleep? When you go to sleep you believe you wake up the same person. Perception before the procedure is the only thing that really matters, because when you go to sleep in a sense your consciousness ends & begins when you wake up. If you didn't wake up (because you died in your sleep or something) "you" wouldn't know it. 

Do you see what I'm getting at? Your belief is all the matters, whether or not it's a copy is purely academic. 

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
But your mind gets to live forever.

I would say that it depends on whether the individual whose mind is going to "live forever" actually has their consciousness transferred, or if it is simply copied? Surely, if it were copied, it would not be the original individual's mind, rather, it wuld just be a 'clone' of it. I can't say how this will be done though.

You make a good point. In the prototype, it would be a anthropomorphic robot controlled through a brain to computer interface. So until it is fully developed and released to the public, the subjects consciousness would just be copied. When it is finished, it will be a synthetic carrier for personality and consciousness so most of the mind should be transferred. But i'm not sure how it would be done either.

I thought so, but wanted to check anyway. Besides, where's the fun in that (unless you fancy yourself for your personality and you want a copy of yourself, or something impossibly absurd like that)?

midnightr

midnightr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

I suppose, thinking about it, the only way to transfer consciousness & still be the same person is if you were to remain conscious during the procedure. This is of course assuming the brain is all we are, and thus controls our consciousness. Perhaps we have a "ghost" as they put it in GitS, but then how would you quantify such a thing, and if you could wouldn't we be back where we were to begin with? 

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

I think the 2045 date is a bit optimistic. My guess is that it will be later than that.

I'll make my rise to fame by making the most optimistic timeline ever! Here's my predictions for the future: Tomorrow - The SingularityMay 2013 - Aging curedJune 2013 - Full-immersion virtual reality hits the mainstreamSeptember 2013 - Space Elevator completedNovember 2013 - Faster than light travelFebruary 1st 2014 - Terraforming of Mars beginsFebruary 2nd 2014 - Terraforming of Mars completeFebruary 10th 2014 - Terraforming of our solar system's nine planets completeJune 2014 - Humanity becomes a Type I civilizationJuly 15th 2014, 8:30 AM - Humanity becomes a Type II civilizationJuly 15th 2014, 8:37 AM - Humanity becomes a Type IIII civilization Believe it! As for this project, I wish the people working on it the best. It's a great goal they're working towards.

Well, it's tomorrow! Where the hell is my singularity?! I will never trust a word you say again! ;)

Furyan

Furyan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I doubt it will be as soon as 2045, but never say never.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

I doubt it will be as soon as 2045, but never say never.

I'd say closer to 2450.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I'd say closer to 2076. ;)

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

As is the case with so many future predictions, it's misleading to stamp a year on it.  The quest to defeat death and aging is a long, ongoing process, and the first human to reach 150 will probably watch many younger, richer, healthier people die before him (or, more likely, her) for various reasons.  I seriously doubt there will be one year when we can finally say "there it is, we've beaten death!"  They may be shooting themselves in the foot by calling it the "2045 project" for that reason.

That said... by 2045, $1000 worth of computing power will have processing power equivalent to the entire human brain population of Earth.  Let's think exponentially, here, people.  2045 is not too optimistic at all--in fact, I'd be surprised if we haven't made serious strides in the battle against aging by 2045.  I'll be pushing 60, and I don't think my chances of seeing the 22nd century are bad at all.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

32 years away, I'll be 55ish.

I'd like it if we were there, but I'm pessimistic and think that public opinion, research and testing will mean it takes us decades longer before we hit that "longevity escape velocity". I'd be surprised if I had any kind of nano-medical treatment or gene therapy before 2030.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I'll be 47 in 2045, so if this somewhat optimistic prediction is correct, I won't be very old by then. Fingers crossed!

Chronicle

Chronicle

Excellent source of Vitamin C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I know some people are skeptical of a date as soon as 2045, but just think about Moore's law. Computer science does have a lot to do with this project.

Yes.

Chronicle

Chronicle

Excellent source of Vitamin C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I'll be 47 in 2045, so if this somewhat optimistic prediction is correct, I won't be very old by then. Fingers crossed!

I'll be 47 in 2045 too!

Edited by Chronicle, 16 April 2013 - 12:18 AM.

Yes.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
     I know some people are skeptical of a date as soon as 2045, but just think about Moore's law. Computer science does have a lot to do with this project.

There's more to human thought than just raw computing power. Some species of birds have levels of intelligence on par with that of apes despite having smaller brains. To create something sentient we need to figure out software that has the capabilities of human thought. That might be rather difficult.

What difference does it make?

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

There's more to human thought than just raw computing power. Some species of birds have levels of intelligence on par with that of apes despite having smaller brains. To create something sentient we need to figure out software that has the capabilities of human thought. That might be rather difficult.

I think we should try emulating the brain in a simulation, or model a software matrix off of the brain of a human like they do in Halo.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

I'll be 47 in 2045 too!

1998 was a good year to be born! ;)

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,241 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Differences in ages or birth dates are meaningless to a certain extent. Example - the older guy follows a healthy diet and lifestyle that helps him age slower than the younger guy who gulps down cans of soda on a daily basis and sits on a chair facing a computer all day.

This is true if the age difference is within, let's say, 20 years between two different birthdates. Greater difference than that, it becomes more important to consider birthdates.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

José Andrade

José Andrade

Waiting for Immortality and FIVR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationPortugal

I'll be 47 in 2045 too!

I'll be 52 in 2045. It's the age my parents have now. 52 it's not that old already, i have good genes, i don't smoke or drink and i exercise regularly so i should reach 2045 just fine. In the way we should have age treatments so i am pretty confident about the future!

"In this world, a single blade can take you anywhere you want to go. It's a virtual world, but i still feel more alive here than i do in the real one." Kirito - Sword Art Online

The End or The Beginnning

The End or The Beginnning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationOkinawa, Japan
Have you ever thought what will happen in 2030? Here's some bold predictions I've read while I was reading a few blogs about 'predictions'. You can fully read the article here. Let me know your thoughts about the article.

Good article. Have you thought of starting a topic so you can get more feedback?

"Exponential growth looks like nothing is happening, and then suddenly you get this explosion at the end." -Ray Kurzweil

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

That 2045 thing is the biggest scam ever! I wish it was true tho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users