Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Movies Thread

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
I saw Knives Out:

https://en.wikipedia...ives_Out_(film)

Well-made, well-plotted, nicely acted. Rian Johnson did a superb job as director.

I didn't realize Christopher Plummer was still acting. He's about 90 years old! Don Johnson is also in it, and is about 70 now. And Jamie Lee Curtis, Daniel Craig, and Chris Evans, to name a few.

Daniel Craig did a good job mimicking a dignified Southern gentleman accent. He's a very versatile actor. I remember how people thought he would do a terrible job as 007 several years ago, and were impressed with his version of James Bond.

The film itself kind of defies genres. It's mystery drama, but also somewhat of a comedy. I was trying to think of what to compare it to, and then it hit me! -- it's like a James Bond film, but without the explosions and impossible getaways. So, having Daniel Craig in the film makes sense. That cool-as-a-cucumber Southern private detective he plays is isomorphic to James Bond.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE - Official Trailer (HD)

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

I saw Ad Astra last night and disliked it. From a science/tech standpoint, it is a nonsensical depiction of the future and has a ton of inconsistencies. 

Also, Brad Pitt was unsuited for his role--the man is too cheerful by nature to convincingly play a tormented, introverted person. 

Tommy Lee Jones was also disappointing since he was a one-dimensional character who simply went crazy/turned evil (never fully explained). 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

Cats (2019)

Oh dear...

https://en.wikipedia...film)#Reception

[...] On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 17% based on 89 reviews, with a weighted average of 3.66/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 31 out of 100, based on 35 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".

Peter Debruge of Variety called the film "one of those once-in-a-blue-moon embarrassments that mars the résumés of great actors (poor Idris Elba, already scarred enough as the villainous Macavity) and trips up the careers of promising newcomers (like ballerina Francesca Hayward, whose wide-eyed, mouth-agape Victoria displays one expression for the entire movie)," panning the direction and effects.[63] David Rooney of The Hollywood Reporter felt that the film was, "hobbled by a major misjudgment in its central visual concept" lamenting its execution (such as the poor proportions of the 'cats' to their environments) and deeming the film "exhausting".[64]

In the Los Angeles Times, Justin Chang wrote that "With its grotesque design choices and busy, metronomic editing, Cats is as uneasy on the eyes as a Hollywood spectacle can be, tumbling into an uncanny valley between mangy realism and dystopian artifice."[65] Peter Bradshaw for The Guardian wrote a one-star review that criticised the visual style and particularly the character design.

Outlook

Outlook

N'wah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Oh. I thought it'd be one of those films that were just artsy. It'd get at least a 60% or 70%, with most audience members either loving or hating it. The art choice would be polarizing and the story would be average, and we'd just move on. But this just makes me feel bad. Why.

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/GMYezR1cwFA

funkervogt

funkervogt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

I heard that Cats was so bad people should actually see it to gawk at its true awfulness, kind of like Battlefield Earth

That being said, you should probably wait until there are ways to see it that don't require you plunking down $15 for a theater ticket. 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

JBv4SLM.png

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

lol...

-----

Scratch that: Cats film to be 'resupplied' with 'improved visuals'

Mon 23 Dec 2019 12.51 GMT

A new version of Tom Hooper’s film adaptation of the musical Cats with “improved visuals” is reportedly being sent to cinemas after a barrage of negative reviews in which the film was hammered for its “disturbing” CGI effects.

On Sunday, the Hollywood Reporter said it had seen a note that was sent by Universal Studios to thousands of cinemas in the US confirming that a new version with “some improved visual effects” was being distributed to chains.

Phil Clapp, the chief executive of the UK Cinema Association – the national trade body for cinema operators in Britain – said he understood the decision to “resupply” the film was a worldwide move and that UK cinemas were being notified of this on Monday.

d3MQmNx.jpg

Black Dragonfly

Black Dragonfly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Ah, one of these sorts. No "What Movie You Lasted Watched" here? Anyways, if I see any movies I've watched that I find are worth mentioning, I'll make sure to post them.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Here's the Cats review thread.

Oh god, the reviews.

Ah, one of these sorts. No "What Movie You Lasted Watched" here? 

This is sort of the general "movie" thread nowadays. I bet there might be an older thread with that exact title, but it's probably five or six years old by now.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

Ah, one of these sorts. No "What Movie You Lasted Watched" here? Anyways, if I see any movies I've watched that I find are worth mentioning, I'll make sure to post them.

This thread is for anything movie-related, including stuff you've seen.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

Ricky Gervais roasts Hollywood in Globes Monologue

https://youtu.be/W-mE0KZnzyc

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

Trailer for the new Bond film. Daniel Craig's last?

https://youtu.be/BIhNsAtPbPI

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • 2,020 posts

I saw the new Sonic the Hedgehog film.  It wasn't bad -- surprisingly.  I wouldn't say it was great; but it's an enjoyable "family movie", if you like that sort of thing.

Jim Carrey did a great job playing Dr. Robotnik.  What was a little odd about it -- and probably this was intentional -- was the fact that Carrey imbued the character with "warm looks" (eyes gave a sense of empathy), even while he was attempting to do evil.  Carrey just naturally looks like a warm person; and probably is that way in real life.

James Marsden was the other big star in the film.  You may recall he played Cyclops in the X-Men films.  Given that the franchise has been around for 20 years, I wondered just how old he was.  Turns out he was born in 1973.  He definitely looks a lot younger -- he's done a good job keeping himself fit and healthy.  Maybe he'll age gracefully like Brad Pitt.  

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Agreed on this front.

The only reason why anyone expected the Sonic movie to fail was because of the Uncanny Valley nightmare that was the original design, a lesson the Cats makers decided to tank. Everyone knew it would be either mediocre or better than mediocre otherwise.

Building off of Sonic the Hedgehog's original trailer, I already know that you can get ruinous consequences from small design choices, but I wanted to see a high-profile situation where an otherwise acceptable or even good product was still considered atrocious. Unfortunately, they didn't give me the opportunity for an answer this time.

Cats isn't a good comparison; they could have used anime catgirls animated by Studio Ghibli and it still would've been a cluster of fuck because the fundamental storytelling itself was pisspoor and not at all movie ready. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • 2,020 posts

I saw the film "The Lodge" the other day.  It's a pretty good indie horror film.  It doesn't have any special effects, but still manages to be chilling.  

All the usual stuff in a good film is there:  good plot and screenplay; good and convincing acting; good cinematography and filming; even has good music, what little there is.

A film I would compare it to is "The Invitation":

https://en.wikipedia...ion_(2015_film)

Both are low-tech, involve religious cults, have a few final scenes with violence.  

One final comment:  "The Lodge" does a good job teaching the cardinal rule, "Don't mess with crazy people!"

Outlook

Outlook

N'wah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands
I finished watching Taxi Driver recently. Absolute masterpiece of a film. I can see why it's so iconic and influential. I just feel like the ending ruined it.

Spoiler

It's what Joker wished it could be, honestly. If they could only make movies like this again.

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/GMYezR1cwFA

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon
Steven Spielberg pulls out of directing Indiana Jones 5

Thursday 27 February 2020 14:25, UK

Indiana Jones 5 will begin filming this summer, but director Steven Spielberg won't be behind the camera.

xtQZfYV.jpg

starspawn0

starspawn0

• Members
  • 2,020 posts

The Invisible Man is really good.  I saw it the other day.  It's directed by Leigh Whannell, the guy who both directed and wrote the script for the film Upgrade.  

Good it may be, but it's not a film I want to see twice.  

On a completely unrelated note, I discovered the film Roar:

https://www.youtube....h?v=cny_D50Rr44

which seems like a totally crazy.  People would get sued over something like that today.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,580 posts
  • LocationLondon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users