Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will there be anti technology movements?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Markomarkh

Markomarkh

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
It seems people are too addicted to their gadgets and tablets, is technology taking over and do we need an anti technology movement! I think people should get in the offline real world more! Get back to nature and balance!

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I think there will be, but I don't think it will become a threat to the advancement or spread of technology, you can't stop progress everywhere. You either adapt and integrate it or get left behind.

Life changing developments will probably set it off, I imagine the "Stopping aging" type scenario's will send a lot of religious groups berzerk, but if the idea offends them they simply shouldn't participate in it, they have no right to deny others the chance to live on well past their expected lifespan. Even if it was prohibited in 90% of the world, I know that I and everyone else interested would be heading for the 10% where it was legal.

As will other medical marvels, like growing organs or cloning ("You're playing god, trying to save and improve peoples lives!")

And I think we'll get a repeat of todays "Videogames cause violence" arguments when VR is big.

People already say things along the lines of "Get off the computer and into the real world!".

They are just being old fashioned though, they should stop living in the past and catch up with current trends, the digital world is very real.

Edited by Rkw, 14 April 2013 - 03:33 PM.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
There probably will be campaigns for the public to use technology less for health reasons. But I doubt it will have much of an impact.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Already exist. It's called primitivism.

Edited by Ru1138, 14 April 2013 - 07:54 PM.

What difference does it make?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Primitivism was an art movement in the 19th century... :/

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Silly me, I was thinking of anarcho-primitivism.

What difference does it make?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Ohh... Wikipedia answers me now! Reminds me of the Amish communities.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

NO! There will be one. There is one. But ABSOLUTELY NOT! People are too 'addicted'  to tablets just like people in the Stone Ages were too addicted to their clay sculptures!

Get offline in the real world more? If your friends are there, sure. But if you don't want to play games there, why? Simply put, the digital world offers far more complex and numerous entertainment chances than the physical world.

Balance? Sure. Sustainability, recycling, good. Get back to nature? Sounds to me you want us to just throw all our progress away! What could POSSIBLY be a positive gain from that? Longer life span? Less strenuous work? Technology is ALL our species has EVER had, and the very idea of throwing it away to get closer to the biosphere that wants us all dead just repulses me.

Sorry for being a bit jumpy, but the very idea of anti-technology movements sends warning bells off in my head. Why would you ever want to get rid of quite literally EVERYTHING that our species has accomplished?!

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
There already are. Look at the Amish.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Technology is ALL our species has EVER had, and the very idea of throwing it away to get closer to the biosphere that wants us all dead just repulses me.

This is a great way to put it.

I don't have a very rosy image of the old days in most respects. I grew up in a tiny Podunk of a town (my immediate family made up 5 percent of the entire town's population when we first moved here) and went to a skanky little white trash dump of a K-8 school. There was very little technology to speak of at the school, and it wasn't the norm just yet for middle schoolers to have cell phones whenever I graduated from 8th grade in 2002. We barely had any technology to distract ourselves with. So what did we use that closeness for? Bullying and mistreating each other, engaging in vapid white noise for 'conversation,' acting like bratty little turds every second of free time granted to us. Yes, people used to pay more attention to people - but most people suck. I would rather kids whittle the school day away texting their friends than acting like a bunch of mean little rat bastards to each other. 

It's true that some people need better time management skills, but people that claim to hate technology have always baffled me (I'm not talking about Mark here). To me it reads like "I hate having a high quaity of life, I wish we could all just roll around in filth and drudgery forever. Making the world a warmer, safer, happier place sure is lame."

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,063 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

tech isn't the issue, and I don't know why people seem to keep blaming it.

Are you too dependant on the mail delivery system, or steel tools or woven fabrics? Damn that plumbing and all the woes it's sewn in this world. and what's this crap about farming anyway, people just don't understand how we as humans are supposed to spend days tracking and hunting to risk starvation if we can't kill our meat with sticks and rocks (but not sharp rocks, that would be tech, just things we find on the ground).

If you don't like the people around you, the problem is either you or them. Don't blame tech. Tech is what you make of it. So either your friends or yourself are making crappy use of it.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

skiier4384

skiier4384

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

I know there's the People Against Cyborgs movement in response to Google Glass, which I think is a bit ridiculous. Matt Drudge, who gets about 1% of all people in the world viewing his website Drudge Report, is very anti-technology. So, I could see a conservative movement against future technological developments, whether it be Google Glass or something else in the future.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Again, I'm hoping that even if a large part of the world was successfully neutered tech wise by such protests, that it'd simply be a case of moving to someplace it wasn't.

I find it hard to believe that governments would let themselves be surpassed so easily though.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I think the government would launch a campaign similar to the Change 4 Life campaign against unhealthy eating. But it won't be massive, and it won't take off very much. It might help some people to minimalise their technology use, but it won't have a massive impact.

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Silly me, I was thinking of anarcho-primitivism.

There is also neo-luddism - they are willing to use violence and vandalism to achieve in their opposition to technology. Despite this, technology is still very 'big' in the lives of many, and will continue to be.

The anti-technology movement will probably rise in significance as people lose their jobs to AI, but this will become less significant once their expenses are paid in other ways.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Really don't understand these people. Don't understand any of their so-called "explanations" of why they hate technology so much.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Really don't understand these people. Don't understand any of their so-called "explanations" of why they hate technology so much.

Either something bad happened in their childhood to make them hate techology so much OR their families are extremely effective at passing down from generation to generation the idea of maintaining the "status quo" which is to remain rooted in their "comfort zone." Either way, they are frightened of change.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Because it goes against God! And if machines do everything for us, we'll forget the value of hard work!

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Because you may fall over and bump into the TV, which is bad health and safety.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Oh yea, with AI coming out, immortality and the possibility to CLONE HUMAN BEINGS? you bet your ass there will be!

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users