Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will there be anti technology movements?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Chronicle

Chronicle

Excellent source of Vitamin C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Oh yea, with AI coming out, immortality and the possibility to CLONE HUMAN BEINGS? you bet your ass there will be!

Doesn't cloning already exist? Or are you talking about direct, instant copying?

Yes.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Oh yea, with AI coming out, immortality and the possibility to CLONE HUMAN BEINGS? you bet your ass there will be!

Doesn't cloning already exist? Or are you talking about direct, instant copying?

He is talking about when or if cloning become wide spread and unhindered. This does pose serious ethical and societal problems.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Modern technology is probably more balanced that the brute force inefficient older technologies. World wide adoption of more modern technology allows you to be closer to nature and is safer for the environment. You don't need to be crawling around in the dirt to be in tune with nature. 

As for cloning, I bet we could clone a human being right now if we wanted, and it would be perfectly healthy. In a way you could say that the anti technology people are already stopping that from happening.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
As for cloning, I bet we could clone a human being right now if we wanted, and it would be perfectly healthy. In a way you could say that the anti technology people are already stopping that from happening.

That's true. I don't consider myself anti-tech by any means, but I'd be curious as to how exactly clone people (Entire people) would benefit us?

I'd also be scared of being replaced by me version 2.0.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

i dont believe cloning humans is possible yet (i dont mean full mind transfer, i just mean making a genetic twin in an embryo type cloning). But it will be soon

Rkw cloning humans would be extremely beneficial for genetic engineering. Practicing genetic engineering on baby humans to make a super being. Or deciding whether or not a certain type of genetic engineering method is dangerous or harmful. Also studying the brain can't fully be done in experiment because nobody would want to kill themselves for science, but with clones scientists could have an array of humans to practice on with trial and error. Right now we practice these things on mice and monkeys, but we'd be able to test it on humans directly. ofcourse this is EXTREMELY unethical because we'd be keeping cloned humans in test tubes and cages while we tested on them, but there would be ALOT of scientific advantages.

I don't think cloning is right and it should never be done at all. But there's no way to stop it and it's most likely destined to happen with extreme privacy by developed nations.

Edited by Squillimy, 16 April 2013 - 07:02 PM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Couldn't these kinds of experiments be done without a complete human being, being created?

I'm not sure why it's less disturbing to picture just a brain being tested as opposed to a full person.

I guess the brain has no chance at a normal life while the complete human could have.

I especially dislike the idea of my DNA being used.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Well a brain is a person, so technically even though the brain doesnt have sensory input (i.e. a brain with no ears or eyes or nose mouth and nerves), it would still be a person trapped in there. but yea it's probably possible, but definately not right now, we've only made the simplest organs, and those aren't even direct clones... it'd probably just be easier to cloen the whole being.

I'm sure it wouldn't be your DNA, but someones DNA who donated their body to science, which many people do. All you'd need is one and you could use his/her cells.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

stuffed_leader

stuffed_leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationprescott, AZ
There is already an anti internet movement ( its full of old people).In the future there will be major movements against gene manipulation, possibly even wars.There will also be major movements against VR I predict.
Omega point or extinction.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

If we can clone other animals(and we can), then we can clone humans. It couldn't really replace you though because the clone would be just a baby and you would  be an adult.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

Yes, cloning humans is technically possible right now, but society isn't ready for it.

With every technological breakthrough, there will always be luddites and naysayers.  I'd guess the percentage of these will increase when shit starts to get really crazy (i.e. mind uploading, reverse aging, designer babies), but honestly, any movement, no matter how popular, hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of stopping the development of new technology.

We have this illusion that we're in control of what's happening, but it isn't so.  I might enjoy "free will" as an individual, but applied to the whole species, such a concept does not (yet) exist.

Edited by StanleyAlexander, 16 April 2013 - 09:06 PM.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
I think that cloning would be an excellent way of bringing back extinct species, and should be widely used in the near future for this reason, but I doubt cloning humans will be considered acceptable for a few centuries yet.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
It seems people are too addicted to their gadgets and tablets, is technology taking over and do we need an anti technology movement! I think people should get in the offline real world more! Get back to nature and balance!

You think there already isn't???
Ever heard of the Unabomber?  Want to know what he stood for? http://cyber.eserver.org/unabom.txt

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

It seems people are too addicted to their gadgets and tablets, is technology taking over and do we need an anti technology movement! I think people should get in the offline real world more! Get back to nature and balance!

You think there already isn't???Ever heard of the Unabomber?  Want to know what he stood for? http://cyber.eserver....org/unabom.txt[/url]

The Unabomber was an MK-Ultra patsy.

bloodymary

bloodymary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Like some people here said there will be increasing amounts of anti tech movements but the pace in technological progression is just far too great nowadays too even hinder it. The only thing that will happen is get left behind. Also try putting side by side how technology progressed from year 2000 too now and federal government actions and you should get a bigger picture. :D

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Like some people here said there will be increasing amounts of anti tech movements but the pace in technological progression is just far too great nowadays too even hinder it. The only thing that will happen is get left behind. Also try putting side by side how technology progressed from year 2000 too now and federal government actions and you should get a bigger picture. :D

Technology will not be evenly distributed. And as for people who become left behind in certain societies, many will choose to be left behind anyway.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Just imagine a massive protest against the iPad 5, just because it's technology. It's not going to happen any time soon.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Just imagine a massive protest against the iPad 5, just because it's technology. It's not going to happen any time soon.

They will not protest the iPad 5, but will protest VR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users