Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you think there will stil be buttons in the near future?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

If you think that they will disappear, when this will be? discuss

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
Buttons are primitive but they are at the moment the most efficient UI.Of course touch screen is starting to replace them, but let's be honest what is easier a keyboard or a touch screen one? When the answer to that question is reversed buttons will start to disappear.Also what buttons? TV remote buttons? Unlikely. More likely we will replace the remote itselfGive it 10-15 years

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

The ultimate user interface will be the one that uses the shortest, straightest, most energy-efficient pathway. But what exactly is this? Unknown for now. Some say the most dense objects (neutron stars, blackholes, etc.) in the Universe would be a model to derive from.

It'll be interesting how we will progress from current UIs (buttons, of course) to the next generation and then beyond.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

My guess is that buttons will remain somewhat prominent for the next few decades, alongside a few other user interfaces such as touchscreen, motion control, and others that don't exist yet (with each gaining traction during the 2010s, 2020s, and some of the 2030s), but that devices controlled by thought will ultimately be deemed the most ideal user interface and that buttons will start to experience a decline during the 2030s, becoming almost fazed out and more of a retro item during the 2050s. I imagine that thought control will follow the same course during the 2030s and 2040s as wireless internet did during the 2000s and 2010s. Wireless internet was rare at the beginning of the decade; vastly more prominent but still subordinate in 2009; and by 2019 will likely far eclipse wired internet (assuming it hasn't already?). I think of the 2030s and 2040s as being analogous for thought-controlled devices.

• SG-1 and The End or The Beginnning like this

DJKiran

DJKiran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationUK

Even thought controlled devices will be bulky to start off with - having specially designed headgear just to trace the correct signal. Then as devices get ever more sophisticated and smaller, we will start seeing them disapear into thin air.

Innovation and Change are the most important things in life

The Future is worth waiting for..... - Kiran Appiah 2011

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Mechanical buttons will be replaced by touchscreens, and clothing buttons will be replaced with zips. I think all kinds of buttons will be obsolete by 2025.

DJKiran

DJKiran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationUK
Mechanical buttons will be replaced by touchscreens, and clothing buttons will be replaced with zips. I think all kinds of buttons will be obsolete by 2025.

or buttons will be replaced by metamorphable hinges or whatever they are going to be called - where the buttons automagically dissapear

Innovation and Change are the most important things in life

The Future is worth waiting for..... - Kiran Appiah 2011

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

I think they'll be around for awhile. 

Pants especially buttons are useful, but just from a typing stand point... has anyone actually tried to type for extended period of time on a touch screen? I'm talking about touch-typing the kind we've all been brought up and taught on keyboards (not looking down at your hands). Really hard to do if not impossible, especially if you stop to look away or move your hands away for a coffee, etc.

Until interfaces are fully capable of handling verbal input, buttons in the form of keyboards will be around for a bit.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

I added some padding into my predictions because society doesn't always automatically gravitate to things just because they're the simplest or the best. I don't think shoelaces offer any advantages over velcro - they can trip you up, take a few moments to tie into a knot, etc - but they're still more common for... whatever reason.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
Buttons will never be fully replaced

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
Buttons will never be fully replaced

what makes you believe so?

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

I dont think buttons will FULLY go extinct. There are the means of purely physical contact between man and machine, a contact that can never be at the fault of the machine, only the man. I can't really explain it, but touch screen relies more on physics and software, more-so than buttons which are focused on  hardware.

for example you can have a touch screen keyboard, but this rises difficulty considering it gives you no push to tell where you're clicking, and also you could accidentally slide your hand against the keyboard and mess up. And there's always the issue of software malfunctions. For example a touch screen power button for your computer could be catastrophic due to software errors or accidental activation.

If you have an AI robot, you're gonna want a physical button to be able to turn it off. Same thing with a fusion reactor, or a driver-less car system. All of which are future technologies!

What about a space ship going through hyperspace travel? If there is a malfunction you will not be able to turn it off, and next thing you know you overshot your destination by 50 lightyears and you're out of fuel! You're gonna wish you had a button or a switch or a lever. Something! We all think space travels possible here, and most would agree that it would take some sort of resources to conduct it, so is it such a far-fetched situation?

Edited by Squillimy, 16 April 2013 - 04:48 AM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

As for buttons in clothing. Maybe. We could all be wearing one-piece nanotechnology super clothing in the distant future. I wouldn't bother with a shirt, underwear, and pants when my clothing is dirt resistant with cooling / heating capabilities equipped with computing ability all powered through solar cells in the clothing. That sounds BAD ASS!

Edited by Squillimy, 16 April 2013 - 04:51 AM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

I think for the most part buttons are being replaced by virtual buttons, and even hand gestures. I recall someone making a cell phone or something that had a touch screen where the buttons raised out so you could type on it then would sink back in.

As for buttons of clothing, they seem useless. They seem to be one of the first things to wear out.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

Direct physical contact-->

Tools-->

Moving parts-->

Electronic buttons-->

Touchscreens-->

Motion sensing UI-->

Ultra-accurate voice recognition and eye-tracking UI-->

External brain-wave reading "thought control" UI-->

Direct internal thought-controlled UI-->

Singularity-->

?

• The End or The Beginnning likes this
Humanity's destiny is infinity

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

touch screens are alright for multiposition and graded inputs and also for changing displays, but humans interact with their environment through touch, by feeling something and moving things not just rubbing your fingers on glass.

Haptics will continue to be an important aspect of our tech, touch screens will be a short transition to fully 3d gesture interface with augmented and then holographic displays. But until the time comes when we can reach into a hologram feel what we are touching in full three dimensions too, than buttons will exist. Likely even after that because we love our retro and simple functional devices.

Similarly buttons on clothing serve two function, tactile and visual. the spandex body suits as future design are an outdated joke. In design being able to split planes of fabric and draw attention or emphasize features is an important aspect of fashion. And when you add to that functional use for holding things together, why would anyone get rid of the button. The only way I ever see that happening is with claytronic clothing, much like the Venom symbiote from spiderman comics. Where it can self texture and form ridges and spines or take a stacked tiles look and open and close with just a touch or thought.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Well when you can project three dimensional images around you an interact with them by touch, I think that fulfills the need people have to touch thing. We can already do that now, we have the technology. It wouldn't be to hard to take something like the google glasses and upload software to project 3d images around you, and have another device to capture hand movements. It is all stuff we can do, we just need to streamline it into an efficient package so it isn't so bulky.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
how is haptic technology progressing anyway? There used to be a lot of coverage on BBC news and things with also speculation that the ipad 3 would have it. Now we are on the 4 th generation of ipad and still no news.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

@ Alric: um no, augmenting reality through optical input devices one wears is not the same as 3d projection, and gesture interface is not the same thing as touching something.

Think about trying to cut and paste something from a document without the sense of touch, and if you move your head does the thing you are working on move too or it stays and your vision shifts from it... in which case how do you know you still have your hand in the right place mid cut.

If you think it would be as useful as buttons try building a sixth sense device with video goggles instead of the picoprojector. I think you'll find rather quickly that it's not at all a satisfactory system to be partially vison obstructed while waving your hands around in empty space in public trying to move things you can't feel.

Edited by kjaggard, 16 April 2013 - 07:00 AM.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
In the future, touchscreens will be obsolete anyway in favour of mind-controlled devices, so that'll sort out that problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users