Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

4000 CE: Will we create universes?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

The Timeline says that by 4000 computers will reach their pinnacle in development.

Meaning that, by that point, not only will we be god-like posthuman badasses, it will also be possible to run perfect simulations of the universe.

Just think, entire universes blinking in and out of existence to us on a computational substrate, while to the test subjects billions of years pass!

Mind-blowing stuff to think about.

When I first read the prediction for 4000 CE I was just kind of like, "meh", but then this thought just dawned on me.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

It's very interesting to think about, though I do wonder how that would even work. I mean, simulating with all the matter of an entire universe with something that has less matter than an entire universe? But who knows, I know shit about computer engineering. That, of course, has the disturbing implication of us being a simulation that may be turned off any second.

I try not to think about that one.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,710 posts
It's very interesting to think about, though I do wonder how that would even work. I mean, simulating with all the matter of an entire universe with something that has less matter than an entire universe? But who knows, I know shit about computer engineering. That, of course, has the disturbing implication of us being a simulation that may be turned off any second.

I try not to think about that one.

Yes, but modern computers can already simulate perfect atoms! It's not much of a stretch to imagine computers would be able to scale that up to universe-size in 2000 years or so.

See, if our universe is a simulation (which in all likelyhood is probably the case)... then billions of years to us are probably passing to our daddyverse in a few seconds, or minutes. Besides, if the universe ceased to exist for whatever reason, nobody would care :)

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Remember the definition of science: systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

If there is a naturally occurring phenomenon, science will eventually figure out what makes that work.  Of course, once we figure that out, we can manipulate it.

So the end game of science is: we will be able to do literally anything possible with physical matter (which, in case your imagination doesn't work well, anything we can conceive of).  Flying, floating, anti-gravity, teleportation, FTL, immortality, reversing entropy, etc.

We will be Gods.  Plain and simple.  That is a crazy thing to think about, if there are multiple universes, logically we should be able to manipulate them.

Edited by SG-1, 18 April 2013 - 03:19 AM.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,710 posts

I hear that all the time from this forum, and for the longest time I just kind of accepted it without thinking about the scale and the consequences.

I just had a profound moment of realization, I now completely understand what that means.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

@EVanimations:  I had that same realization, it's why my signature is what it is

Humanity's destiny is infinity

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
4000 seems soon to me. But at some point in the very far future, creating universes, multiverses and even dimensions will be a daily human practice.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

4000 seems soon to me. But at some point in the very far future, creating universes, multiverses and even dimensions will be a daily human practice.

Maybe 14000

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I think that visiting parallel universes will be around or at least in development by 14000, but as for creating them, I think it may be a very long time before we see that. If you want, you can check out some of my post about this in the 'Playing God' thread.

Edited by FutureOfToday, 21 April 2013 - 12:54 PM.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
Or we can just call up Elizabeth
  • Saradus likes this

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Elizabeth?

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Elizabeth?

From Bioshock Infinite :)
  • zEVerzan likes this

Saradus

Saradus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWales
Or we can just call up Elizabeth

*SPOILERALERT!*We could have done, but now there is only Anna :(*SPOILERALERT!*

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T. E. Lawrence

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

What if we're just some childs game? What if every moment of our lives have been mapped out for his own childish entertainment? What if one day, We get to meet these creators? We could be AI's becoming self-aware. Our biological systems compared to our creators could be much more advanced to ours, To them we might seem like nothing but gadgets and gizmos. Who knows, Maybe their simply the result of some advanced civilization pass time. Themselves. The puppeteer's a much as puppet than the puppets themselves. the laws of physics could simply settings for their game. Could be manipulated at any moment, In their world quantum physics could be basic 1st grade math for them.

A similar idea was mentioned on another thread, 'Playing God', I think. But it's a perfectly valid point. Maybe there are other civilisations that have created us, which is why we are here at all. Maybe some day we will find out!

Lucchese

Lucchese

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Honestly, I actually think 4000 is to far away. I mean after all, you have to rember that more scientific and technological advancements occured in the last 50 years than the rest of mankind's history combined. Who really knows what technology will be like 1000 years from today?

Edited by Lucchese, 23 April 2013 - 03:25 AM.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Honestly, I actually think 4000 is to far away. I mean after all, you have to rember that more scientific and technological advancements occured in the last 50 years than the rest of mankind's history combined. Who really knows what technology will be like 1000 years from today?

If humanity plays its cards right, it could happen in 500.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
500 years is extremely optimistic. Before creating universes, we've got to overcome teleportation, time travel, forcefields, and things like that which will themselves probably take centuries. I think creating universes will take tens of thousands of years, and that's my most optimistic prediction.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,710 posts
500 years is extremely optimistic. Before creating universes, we've got to overcome teleportation, time travel, forcefields, and things like that which will themselves probably take centuries. I think creating universes will take tens of thousands of years, and that's my most optimistic prediction.

You don't know that, bro. Who are you to decide what kind of barriers we need to overcome?

The whole point of this is that, by 4000 CE, computers will be advanced to their apex, to the very limits of what our laws of physics will allow. If it is possible to simulate a universe on a computer, we will have already done it by 4000 CE. Since we can already simulate an atom, it doesn't require much of a stretch of the imagination to conclude that it will be possible to simulate an entire universe on a computer given a sufficient amount of time.

The act of simulating a universe is exactly the same as creating one, because the simulation is effectively an entire universe contained on a computer. Do you see what I am getting at here?

And if we can create universes, naturally we will create thousands, millions of them, just for the sake of study.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I see your point, but a virtual universe is not the same thing as a physical universe. The key word is virtual. Creating a town in virtual reality is not the same as creating a real town, it's just on a different scale. In order to actually create a physical universe like our own, we will need more than simulation.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,710 posts

Aha, I was waiting for that. That's where things get a little complicated, and very theoretical. The thing is, there would be no difference between a perfectly simulated universe and a "real" one. If every atom in the "false" universe acts realistically, infinite possibilities would bloom from altering a few universal constants such as gravity, the speed of light, etc.

Say, for example, a exact replica of our universe is simulated. Every constant is the same, and every event plays out in this universe exactly as it did in ours; there would be no difference. This Whoville is just as real to its inhabitants as our universe is to us.

This applies to every universe we create.

If it is possible to simulate a universe on a computer, this means with nearly 100% certainty that our universe is a simulation as well as every other in existence. To assume our universe is the first and only takes arrogance of the highest degree.

Very meta.

Edited by EVanimations, 24 April 2013 - 09:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users