Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Songs will start repeating themselves

Repeat Songs Repetition notes combination same copyright

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

DJKiran

DJKiran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationUK

Some time in the future songs will start repeating themselves.

There are only so many combination of notes that you can fit together to form a song, so wouldn't there be a time when someone makes a song that sounds exactly the same as another song from some centuries ago?

Innovation and Change are the most important things in life

The Future is worth waiting for..... - Kiran Appiah 2011

Saradus

Saradus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWales

VSauce did a great video on this topic:

[url="http://youtu.be/DAcjV60RnRw"]http://youtu.be/DAcjV60RnRw[/url]

• DJKiran likes this

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T. E. Lawrence

sweetwilliam

sweetwilliam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationDenmark

It's the four chord song all over again

The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason..... Faith and feelings are the darkness to reason's light

- Richard Rahl and Zeddicus Zorander, protagonists in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

sweetwilliam

sweetwilliam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationDenmark
VSauce did a great video on this topic:

[url="http://youtu.be/DAcjV60RnRw"]http://youtu.be/DAcjV60RnRw[/url]

Awesome video by the way

The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason..... Faith and feelings are the darkness to reason's light

- Richard Rahl and Zeddicus Zorander, protagonists in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

DJKiran

DJKiran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationUK

Yeh, I am subscribed to him, his videos are so interesting

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
To run out of combinations for songs, it would take billions and billions of years. It's not just a matter of "a few centuries". And besides, in the future, we'll probably be able to create music with our minds, so releasing music will be long obsolete.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

To run out of combinations for songs, it would take billions and billions of years. It's not just a matter of "a few centuries". And besides, in the future, we'll probably be able to create music with our minds, so releasing music will be long obsolete.

We already can create music with our minds.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

Music is more than a collection of combinations of 12 notes organized rhythmically.  Dynamics, articulation, instrumentation, timbre, harmony, tension, form, lyrics, texture, context... music is absolutely infinite.  It might even be easier to approach infinity in music than it is in language.

EDIT:  That said, all art is repetition.  Music has already repeated itself many times over.  And yet it's still infinite.  Isn't life awesome?

Edited by StanleyAlexander, 19 April 2013 - 04:50 AM.

• EpochSix likes this
Humanity's destiny is infinity

DJKiran

DJKiran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationUK

What i meant was, the same combination of notes being player - not so much as instruments, but melody

Pwaa

Pwaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationUK

Well if the crap on the radio is anything to go by this has already happened.

But no, i don't think this will ever happen, music is too diverse.  And there will likely be new instruments created in the future, openeing up new sounds.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

With transhumanism our creative capacities  will tremendously increase. We may assist to a new kind of music in the next century, something that is incredibly combined with emotions and images...we will appreciate music even more than we do now maybe it may become even more powerful than sex without causing weakness to the body.

if you asked me if music will be boring in 3.000 years than i dont know what to answer and i dont think no body knows, i only know that if we manage to live till then we will forget the music we listen now and we will appreciate it again...it will be almost like hearing it for the first time.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Not to mention that in the future we'll be able to hear above and below the pitches we can now.

• StanleyAlexander likes this

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
Not to mention that in the future we'll be able to hear above and below the pitches we can now.

yes we may even hear bugs walking on the curtains!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,712 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I'm sure many people in the year 1013 thought all music that could or should be created had been. Just as people in 1913.

Edited by The Young Homo Maximus, 19 April 2013 - 01:37 PM.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Saradus

Saradus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWales

yes we may even hear bugs walking on the curtains!

I dont think I'd want to hear that. Insects bug (ha!) me enough as it is!

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T. E. Lawrence

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

As the capability of technology increases, so does our capacity to be creative.  Music is just our creativity channeled through sound.

As I said before, though, all art is derivative.  Take what's been done, and make it your own.  The memes that see the most repetition (for example the I - IV - V progression) are the ones that resonate most powerfully with the most people.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,712 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Yeah, imagine ultrasonic music. That'll sound ridiculous.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I guess eventually paintings, sculptures and movies will eventually repeat themselves as well, as will all other art forms. But at some point in the very far future, we might come up with the ability to create more possibilities and more notes, colours and things like that. But I'm talking tens of millions of years.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

I guess eventually paintings, sculptures and movies will eventually repeat themselves as well, as will all other art forms. But at some point in the very far future, we might come up with the ability to create more possibilities and more notes, colours and things like that. But I'm talking tens of millions of years.

There are so many combinations and variables it would take a near infinite amount of time for exact repeats or a full use of all combanitions and variables.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Reminds me of the old saying that if you gave an infinite amount of typewriters to an infinite amount of monkeys, one of them would eventually type up the entire works of Shakespeare. But in this case, the monkeys are humans and the works of Shakespeare are just artworks in general.
  • WithoutCoincidence and DJKiran like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Repeat, Songs, Repetition, notes, combination, same, copyright

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users