Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Songs will start repeating themselves

Repeat Songs Repetition notes combination same copyright

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Reminds me of the old saying that if you gave an infinite amount of typewriters to an infinite amount of monkeys, one of them would eventually type up the entire works of Shakespeare. But in this case, the monkeys are humans and the works of Shakespeare are just artworks in general.

But it would take so long that it does not matter.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
But no, i don't think this will ever happen, music is too diverse.

Not to mention culture. Each culture has its own types of music that all incorporate different rythmns and styles. So yeah, there really is too much variety out there.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Reminds me of the old saying that if you gave an infinite amount of typewriters to an infinite amount of monkeys, one of them would eventually type up the entire works of Shakespeare. But in this case, the monkeys are humans and the works of Shakespeare are just artworks in general.

It's not about how long it takes, it's about the fact that at some point it has got to happen.
  • DJKiran likes this

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

It's not about how long it takes, it's about the fact that at some point it has got to happen.

Well then yes. It will happen. In truth, everything will eventually repeat itself

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I guess if time is infinite, then everything that can possibly happen will happen at some point.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

But music is infinite too!  It's not made out of a finite collection of sounds.  There are only 12 notes in the western chromatic scale, but that doesn't take into account rhythm, form, texture, instrumentation, lyrics (which by themselves are infinite because language is infinite), song structure...

Music DOES repeat itself, and it has been repeating itself for decades, because all art is derivative.  But it will never repeat itself because it has run out of a finite set of options.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I love music, I have close to 4000 songs in my library and I know how to play a couple of instruments. 

I'm not an expert in music at all but I know enough to agree with Stanley

• StanleyAlexander likes this

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Repeat, Songs, Repetition, notes, combination, same, copyright

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users