Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Computerised Clothing

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-22199689
Just found this interesting article. Thoughts?

Chronicle

Chronicle

Excellent source of Vitamin C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

It seems that Canada is inventing lots of new clothing. They also made an invisibility cloak but I don't know about the details.

Edited by Chronicle, 18 April 2013 - 07:39 PM.

Yes.

bloodymary

bloodymary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Another sign that things are speeding up many times faster then  people can realize.

• Casey likes this

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
These are expected to be widely available to buy in less than 30 years' time. Really a lot sooner than I would have been expecting for something like this. Very exciting indeed!

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
Yah, I want to wear this stuff.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
This will probably be commercially available around 2030...looks exciting!

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
2030 might be a little optimistic, but by 2040 we should definitely be seeing this type of clothing becoming common.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

I've already seen coats with heaters in them being sold at the store.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Heated coats have been around for a while, but the technology behind these future "computerised" items of clothing will be far more advanced.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
This technology will also destroy the fashion industry.
  • Rkw likes this

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

not necessarily. The technology will become miniaturized in time, and super clothing will become common. Possibly dirt/water resistant, solar powered computer clothes. I'd love to buy one!!!

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

not necessarily. The technology will become miniaturized in time, and super clothing will become common. Possibly dirt/water resistant, solar powered computer clothes. I'd love to buy one!!!

Well, maybe people will sell programmable designs. But a lot of people will learn to control the clothes themselves, giving it any appearance and properties they desire. In fact, consumer based clothing would also die out since you should only need to buy one pair of electronic clothing,

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Well, maybe people will sell programmable designs. But a lot of people will learn to control the clothes themselves, giving it any appearance and properties they desire. In fact, consumer based clothing would also die out since you should only need to buy one pair of electronic clothing,

well that's an interesting thought!

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Dunno man, my clothes might get a little smelly if I only wear one thing over and over.

zen_mutiny

zen_mutiny

Post-Singularitarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States
Dunno man, my clothes might get a little smelly if I only wear one thing over and over.

Not if it cleans itself.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.
Not if it cleans itself.

Took the words right out of my mouth, haha.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

In 20 years? I'd be pleasantly surprised if nanotech was that wide spread and commercially used.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

In 20 years? I'd be pleasantly surprised if nanotech was that wide spread and commercially used.

Probably not that soon. But I say in 50 years the tech will be very advanced and widespread.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Self-cleaning clothes will probably be around in about 30 years, I'd say. Maybe a few years after electronic clothing is available to buy.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

I think 20 years is a good estimate. Remember only 4 years ago we didn't have the ipad! Due to exponential growth, the world 20 years from now could look as different as the 1940's-1950's do to us now.

In terms of technology 2033 is a whole long way off. The main question is when does clothing enter the technology sector, and thus when does exponential growth apply to that?

Imagine a 4th generation computerized clothes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users