Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Desktop -> Laptop -> Netbook -> Tablet -> what's the next 'big thing'?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Over the past 20 years, we've seen PCs evolve from desktops, to laptops and notebooks, to netbooks, and now to smartphones, tablets and hybrids. But what do you think will bi the next 'big thing' to make tablets obsolete?

Ertu

Ertu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Boards and eyewear embedded computers in the next 7 years available

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
What do you mean by 'boards'?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Over the past 20 years, we've seen PCs evolve from desktops, to laptops and notebooks, to netbooks, and now to smartphones, tablets and hybrids. But what do you think will bi the next 'big thing' to make tablets obsolete?

Wearable computing - like Google Glass?

What are you without the sum of your parts?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I am thinking wearable technology too, maybe smart watches or Google Glass.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

After wearable technology, brain-computer interface it is then!

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
What do you mean by 'boards'?

Probably something like the Raspberry Pi.

What difference does it make?

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

More sophisticated portable tech.

Less expensive versions of traditional computers (Raspberry Pi).

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

Crude AR (Google Glass) > Contact lenses > True AR (brain chips) with VR possibilities. The contact lense step may be missed entirely however, it depends how long it takes us to map/understand the brain. We'll have wearable tech until brain chips appear, then all wearable technology will just disappear. 

Lucchese

Lucchese

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I could be wrong, but judging by the number of people who seem to dislike google glass already, I really doubt it will sell well. However, AR contact lenses on the other hand would likely do well. Brain-computer interface will likely be the next big thing though, unless biohacking advancements come into fruition sooner.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

decentralized and modular computing is my thought. we've reached a point where just building something with the most needed abilities of being able to access the net and display data as fast as possible. Everything is like making a fancier pen for somebody who uses word processors and e-mail.

I can see buying a series of credit card sized components, on a hard drive, one a usb connection hub style device, one the next generation DVD drive, ect. They don't have to be connected, just within range of one another. and In this way you could have four or more units in your house that can work independantly or together as a more powerful unit.

At the same time online data storage and digital office spaces that are not located on your computer but are sites you go to in cyber space. I mean sites loosely too because they will be cloud based, not centrally located, thus access to your account can be had through many disperate ways.

It seems the logical step to me, on the way to ubiquitous computing.

• EpochSix likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

wearable technology for sure. It's one of the only things left to do (if not the only thing left to do) and we're finally ready for it to begin.

Apples working on a smart watch. personally i think the idea is shit, but atleast it's another step towards wearable computation. Not much of one considerign that there's other smart watches out there

Edited by Squillimy, 23 April 2013 - 03:59 AM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

EpochSix

EpochSix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I think the underlying trend in consumer information technology has always been the push towards ubiquitous computing. Ubiquitous computing is a model of human-computer interaction where computing has been integrated into every day objects and activities, it's moving the basement into the outside world. The appeal of laptops is that you can take your setup with you just about anywhere which makes personal productivity much easier and more convenient. This was further realized with the birth of the smartphone and the "app" ecosystem. Now you can use your cellphone, an object most of us carry with us at all times, for many of the things we previously needed laptops for. This will be further realized within the next few years with sophisticated wearable computing devices like Google Glass and whatever else is in the works.

However, there is one interesting device I think we'll see soon that most people haven't considered, ubiquitous cloud based public tablets, most likely free to use. I first noticed this idea in the Total Recall remake from 2012. The idea is that common transparent surfaces like windows, tables, and signs etc have integrated computing technology (basic processing components / display / wireless WiFi chip / touchscreen etc) that allow a user to log in to access various services and data stored in the cloud. For example, a transparent glass table in a coffee shop would have a touch activated log in button, you press it, an on-screen keyboard appears, you log into your Google account, and from there you can access various Google services and your data stored on Google Drive.

The example provided in Total Recall uses finger implants, the user uses internal NFC technology (presumably similar to the tech we already have in smartphones and credit cards today) to log in to the cloud based service. You touch the screen, your account details transfer via NFC, you're logged in, you access various services like messaging / video chat, data, email, browsing etc.

This is a technology that could be built today, all of the technology required already exists. So it's probably not far off, seems like a logical move forward for tablet style technology.

razer1994

razer1994

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
I think the underlying trend in consumer information technology has always been the push towards ubiquitous computing. Ubiquitous computing is a model of human-computer interaction where computing has been integrated into every day objects and activities, it's moving the basement into the outside world. The appeal of laptops is that you can take your setup with you just about anywhere which makes personal productivity much easier and more convenient. This was further realized with the birth of the smartphone and the "app" ecosystem. Now you can use your cellphone, an object most of us carry with us at all times, for many of the things we previously needed laptops for. This will be further realized within the next few years with sophisticated wearable computing devices like Google Glass and whatever else is in the works. However, there is one interesting device I think we'll see soon that most people haven't considered, ubiquitous cloud based public tablets, most likely free to use. I first noticed this idea in the Total Recall remake from 2012. The idea is that common transparent surfaces like windows, tables, and signs etc have integrated computing technology (basic processing components / display / wireless WiFi chip / touchscreen etc) that allow a user to log in to access various services and data stored in the cloud. For example, a transparent glass table in a coffee shop would have a touch activated log in button, you press it, an on-screen keyboard appears, you log into your Google account, and from there you can access various Google services and your data stored on Google Drive. The example provided in Total Recall uses finger implants, the user uses internal NFC technology (presumably similar to the tech we already have in smartphones and credit cards today) to log in to the cloud based service. You touch the screen, your account details transfer via NFC, you're logged in, you access various services like messaging / video chat, data, email, browsing etc. [/url] This is a technology that could be built today, all of the technology required already exists. So it's probably not far off, seems like a logical move forward for tablet style technology.
I do not know how well directly implanted devices, like in Total Recall, will cath on. Maybe a glove which serves the same purpose.

Edited by razer1994, 23 April 2013 - 07:33 AM.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
I think the underlying trend in consumer information technology has always been the push towards ubiquitous computing. Ubiquitous computing is a model of human-computer interaction where computing has been integrated into every day objects and activities, it's moving the basement into the outside world. The appeal of laptops is that you can take your setup with you just about anywhere which makes personal productivity much easier and more convenient. This was further realized with the birth of the smartphone and the "app" ecosystem. Now you can use your cellphone, an object most of us carry with us at all times, for many of the things we previously needed laptops for. This will be further realized within the next few years with sophisticated wearable computing devices like Google Glass and whatever else is in the works.

However, there is one interesting device I think we'll see soon that most people haven't considered, ubiquitous cloud based public tablets, most likely free to use. I first noticed this idea in the Total Recall remake from 2012. The idea is that common transparent surfaces like windows, tables, and signs etc have integrated computing technology (basic processing components / display / wireless WiFi chip / touchscreen etc) that allow a user to log in to access various services and data stored in the cloud. For example, a transparent glass table in a coffee shop would have a touch activated log in button, you press it, an on-screen keyboard appears, you log into your Google account, and from there you can access various Google services and your data stored on Google Drive.

The example provided in Total Recall uses finger implants, the user uses internal NFC technology (presumably similar to the tech we already have in smartphones and credit cards today) to log in to the cloud based service. You touch the screen, your account details transfer via NFC, you're logged in, you access various services like messaging / video chat, data, email, browsing etc.

This is a technology that could be built today, all of the technology required already exists. So it's probably not far off, seems like a logical move forward for tablet style technology.

so pretty much like I suggested.

actually you could probably do it now with a sixth sense device.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users