Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The future of film has science-fiction written all over it

Film Directors future sci-fi fiction sfx fantasy genre effects movies

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

DJKiran

DJKiran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationUK

What we consider to be sci-fi films today, maybe drama/love stories of tomorrow.

Because as we get increasingly used to the new technologies like flying cars, robots, holograms - directors would absent-mindedly add them to their films.

The people of tomorrow would consider that normal, but we would consider that science fiction, and our ancestors would consider that witchcraft.

Thoughts?

Innovation and Change are the most important things in life

The Future is worth waiting for..... - Kiran Appiah 2011

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

True, but they won't feel like sci fi anymore, because we can just experience the concepts in real life. Sci fi is cool precisely because you cannot experience the environment. 

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Hmm, seems pretty likely. Why not?

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

zen_mutiny

zen_mutiny

Post-Singularitarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Enter retro-futurism, in which we laugh at how hilariously off the mark people of today were about the future.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
True, but they won't feel like sci fi anymore, because we can just experience the concepts in real life. Sci fi is cool precisely because you cannot experience the environment. 

I can't agree. Having my own tablet makes me feel like I'm in SF movie. Not to mention stuff I see in scientific news. 20 years ago I was enjoying magnetic casettes with music and using floppy disks to play video games displayed on big heavy CRT monitors. Phones without cables connecting them to station were something quite new.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

sweetwilliam

sweetwilliam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationDenmark

There was a time where the steam engine powered machines was considered breathtakingly modern

There was a time where the news of a human flying was disregarded as nonsense

There was a time where the thought of the internet was reserved to the most far-reaching science-fiction authors

Now these things surround us with most people hardly realising that they are living in a world most futurists couldn't have dreamt of fifty years ago

Now-a-days it is common for characters to drive cars with LED-lamps, talk in a cellphone, or downloading an app on their brand new smartphone. And no one gives it second thought.

The same will happen in the future

The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason..... Faith and feelings are the darkness to reason's light

- Richard Rahl and Zeddicus Zorander, protagonists in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Our ancestors would consider a Commodore 64 to be witchcraft. ;)

Chronicle

Chronicle

Excellent source of Vitamin C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I always wanted to somehow go back into the past,(preferably during the Salem witch trials) and freak people out with the modern technology. I would be considered a wizard and the people would try to execute me. But they would fail due to my technological power over them.

Yes.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Would love to go back to Tudor times with my iPad and show it to everyone. Better bring a gun, though, just in case they try to kill me for wizardry.

DJKiran

DJKiran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationUK

you'd probably be killed by the plague, or dysentry, or by simply being around other people since the quality of life was terrible back then - ever watched "The Crusade"?

Innovation and Change are the most important things in life

The Future is worth waiting for..... - Kiran Appiah 2011

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Science fact you mean.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Read 'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court' by Mark Twain. It really shows just how much advancements in tech, or even just knowledge, mean when brought back to the past, and this is a man with 19th century tech going back in time. Imagine today!

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I've heard of that book before, I'd love to read it. Might buy the Kindle version! EDIT: The Kindle version is free! Will definitely read this soon!

Edited by FutureOfToday, 24 April 2013 - 08:57 PM.

Pwaa

Pwaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationUK

I like to see completely unrelated stories worked into a sci-fi universe.  Sure there needs to be some exploring and explaining of the world the story is set in, but the plot doesn't have to be linked directly to the technology.  The tech can just be sort of there, i like that.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
You mean like a normal horror/drama/romance/comedy/etc. film but set in the future? That would be a good idea, I'd watch more films if they were like that!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film, Directors, future, sci-fi, fiction, sfx, fantasy, genre, effects, movies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users