Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

One way trip to Mars in 2023

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Chronicle

Chronicle

Excellent source of Vitamin C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

4 people, 2 men and 2 women, will be selected to go to Mars to live there forever. The people there might be reality tv stars.

http://www.popsci.co...e-way-trip-mars

I wish I could go but I know my chances are zero. By the way the deadline is august, 2013.

Yes.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

I doubt they'll stay there forever (unless they die there which could be very possible). Look at SpaceX's progress with the Grasshopper rocket.

I'd like to go as well but I'd rather my life not turn into a reality TV show, especially as I battled my doubts about going. Pretty sure if it does happen there are going to be a lot of mental break downs and it's going to be pretty uncool to watch.

Edited by Brohanne Jahms, 29 April 2013 - 07:41 AM.

• tushain likes this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I already posted it in the news... anyway i would accept it only if they put me in the spaceship alone with Demi Moore and Cameron Diaz.

Edited by Italian Ufo, 29 April 2013 - 05:31 PM.

Chronicle

Chronicle

Excellent source of Vitamin C

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Sorry for reposting it. I should use the search option before I post.

Edited by Chronicle, 28 April 2013 - 11:41 PM.

Yes.

DJKiran

DJKiran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationUK

The mods should put that in the timeline - unless they already have, i havent checked recently

Innovation and Change are the most important things in life

The Future is worth waiting for..... - Kiran Appiah 2011

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I seriously thought about applying.

Then I seriously thought about me being accepted. 

Then I seriously thought it was a bad idea, even if I would be famous for ever.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

My heart and mind goes out to those people who will be selected to go to Mars. They shall make history, most likely at the expense of their sanity. As for me, space can wait a bit longer. Not done on Earth quite yet.

• tushain likes this

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'm skeptical about Mars One. They haven't demonstrated anything yet.

• eacao likes this

What difference does it make?

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

If I was in a situation where I had nothing on Earth I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I still have the chance of a life though.  I may not end up as a bum or lonely at this point.  If I lost my wife or family and had nothing left I'd sure do it.

Ru^ I am skeptical about it too, but what is certain is that Falcon Heavy.  It will take us there for sure.

The people who do go are going to have to be the most adventurous people on the planet.  Someone people will look up to for the rest of human history.  As the first humans to leave the planet.  The final/first step into assuring humanity evolves into something greater.

Too dramatic? Nope.

• tushain likes this

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I would never, ever apply for something like this. It just seems way too dangerous, and how the hell would they survive up there? Bad, very bad idea.
  • Casey likes this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
I would never, ever apply for something like this. It just seems way too dangerous, and how the hell would they survive up there? Bad, very bad idea.

Most people probably think this is a very bad idea as you say, but there are several hundred people, at least, in the world who think this is the best thing to ever happen to them. It's a matter of perspective.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
I doubt they'll stay there forever (unless they die there which could be very possible). Look at SpaceX's progress with the Grasshopper rocket.

I'd like to go as well but I'd rather my life not turn into a reality TV show, especially as I battled my doubts about going. Pretty sure if it does happen there are going to be a lot of mental break downs and it's going to be pretty uncool to watch.

True., except I'm guessing most of funding will come from the reality TV aspect. It's a shame people care more about TV entertainment than space exploration, but whatever, money is money I suppose.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Oi, there is alreade thread about this:

http://www.futuretim...s-direct/page-4

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

I think more people will care about space exploration when we have propulsion that can get us to another star system in one's own lifetime.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Would love to do it, probably wouldn't be accepted, no skills, not dramatic enough.

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon
Would love to do it, probably wouldn't be accepted, no skills, not dramatic enough.

Don't need skills, anyone accepted will be given all knowledge required. 

Some of the vids are going to be nice to watch haha

Also, they won't have to stay there their entire life. Max 20 years, they'll probably be able to hitch a ride back in less time even. 

Edited by Ewan, 29 April 2013 - 06:10 PM.

• tushain likes this

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Also, they won't have to stay there their entire life. Max 20 years, they'll probably be able to hitch a ride back in less time even. 

I might apply then, will be sure to get you guys to vote for me if I record an application video :p

• tushain likes this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I might apply then, will be sure to get you guys to vote for me if I record an application video :p

Think very hard what you're about to do - this is a very big decision that will severely affect how you're going to live the rest of your life. It is very similar to being sent to prison for life - give or take the few perks. At least, initially it will be exactly like a prison minus the guards who tell you what to do (unless you consider Mars One officials telling you NOT to do something like prison guards).

You got to be absolutely sure you won't regret this decision if you got accepted and you say yes.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Haha, I know this isn't the sensible way to think about it, but the chances of being one of the select few to be chosen seems so minute.

Could I just up and leave everyone for a decade? Perhaps forever? Could you guys?

EDIT: They're asking for a $30 fee to register..

Edited by Rkw, 30 April 2013 - 02:26 AM.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
Haha, I know this isn't the sensible way to think about it, but the chances of being one of the select few to be chosen seems so minute.

Could I just up and leave everyone for a decade? Perhaps forever? Could you guys?

EDIT: They're asking for a $30 fee to register..

I could. I honestly very much want to. But having billions of people staring at me through a camera while I launched to my probable death? No thanks.

Seriously though? If you're unwilling to cough up $30 than I have my doubts that you'd actually be willing to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users