Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Threat of bio-terrorism

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
With all the future technologies, perhaps one of the most scary things is the increased threat of terrorism. What do you think the chances are of a terrorist synthetic plague being released into the future that will wipe a good many of us off the face of the world? I've done some reading on this topic, and I have to say the threat is disturbingly real.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

Do you mean time travel or is your wording just ambiguous? I'll assume you don't. Anyway, I think its a real issue, I just hope we can develope medical nanobots to fight such outbreaks before it becomes an issue. 

To be frank however, I'm surprised there aren't more terror attacks. Why do terrorists just not send people into public places with a gun? I'm glad it doesn't happen, but I'm always amazed at how peaceful it is in the west considering what goes on elsewhere in the world. 

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Well you can't really kill that many people with guns.

You'd have to get a lot of people in random locations to simultaneously shoot.  Each shooter can expect to get around 20-40 people before they get killed.

Kill count is higher with bombs and plagues.  I bet that a synthetic plague will happen.  I think it will kill off a lot of people, if precautions aren't in place to prevent it from happening before anyone tries something.

Those muslim radicals hate Americans and the West, it is in their religion to kill us.  So if there was a way to wipe out a specific gene, say every white person, I bet they'd jump on that pretty quickly.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

You'd have to get a lot of people in random locations to simultaneously shoot.  Each shooter can expect to get around 20-40 people before they get killed.

Kill count is higher with bombs and plagues.  I bet that a synthetic plague will happen.  I think it will kill off a lot of people, if precautions aren't in place to prevent it from happening before anyone tries something.

Those muslim radicals hate Americans and the West, it is in their religion to kill us.  So if there was a way to wipe out a specific gene, say every white person, I bet they'd jump on that pretty quickly.

Fuck imagine that. 

Hurry up nanomedicine! I need protection!

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Most improvised civilian made bombs are relatively ineffective, guns provide a far more efficient method of killing, just imagine how many people could have died in the Boston bomb attacks if they'd used a few semi-automatics. What America needs is a Islamist attack with guns-that will split the right wing right down the middle!

I would like to note that I'm not condoning the despicable actions carried out on that day, but I do think it many over-react to Islam radicalism especially in the US, where so man die needlessly from gun violence from "non-radical" civilians.

On the issue of creating a tailor made virus of some sort I would say the threat is small but not minimal, but a broader range virus would be more feasible in my opinion. Genes associated with "being white" essentially only encode melanin production-and white people express reduced and distinct amounts of the pigment. Attacking "whiteness" itself with a targeted virus would ironically probably increase their "whiteness" and turn people ginger. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but melanin production is hardly central to human metabolism-which brings me to a point that human's are horribly homogenous at a metabolic level-any virus would very easily mutate to target the broader population.

Final point would be that Islamic radicalism isn't worried about collateral damage, most wouldn't worry about killing "innocents", because death is not something to be feared for the worthy. Although this in many ways makes the threat more terrifying.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
We need to do something now...

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Bio-terrorism and cyber-terrorism will almost certainly rise to high levels in the coming decades, terrorists will see the opportunity that these futuristic methods will bring them - they would be less likely to get caught and could kill more people. Very frightening concept, really!

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Most improvised civilian made bombs are relatively ineffective, guns provide a far more efficient method of killing, just imagine how many people could have died in the Boston bomb attacks if they'd used a few semi-automatics. What America needs is a Islamist attack with guns-that will split the right wing right down the middle!

I would like to note that I'm not condoning the despicable actions carried out on that day, but I do think it many over-react to Islam radicalism especially in the US, where so man die needlessly from gun violence from "non-radical" civilians.

On the issue of creating a tailor made virus of some sort I would say the threat is small but not minimal, but a broader range virus would be more feasible in my opinion. Genes associated with "being white" essentially only encode melanin production-and white people express reduced and distinct amounts of the pigment. Attacking "whiteness" itself with a targeted virus would ironically probably increase their "whiteness" and turn people ginger. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but melanin production is hardly central to human metabolism-which brings me to a point that human's are horribly homogenous at a metabolic level-any virus would very easily mutate to target the broader population.

Final point would be that Islamic radicalism isn't worried about collateral damage, most wouldn't worry about killing "innocents", because death is not something to be feared for the worthy. Although this in many ways makes the threat more terrifying.

Attacking people with the genes that make them white.  It isn't that hard of a concept to understand.  If you have access to mapping genomes quickly and manufacturing viruses, you could easily wipe out a huge hunk of the population with a deadly virus which only attacks people with certain genes.

You may not be able to get every white person, but you could get a lot.  All they want to do is kill innocents.  They don't care if you are a stay-at-home mom or a 4 year old child, or even a 5 star general.  9/11 hit both the pentagon and the world trade center.

We could have nanocapsules which are sprayed all over the air, and they go inside people, map their genome and if they are white or whatever you want, they release the pathogen.  Which is tailor made for humans and 100% lethal.

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK
Attacking people with the genes that make them white.  It isn't that hard of a concept to understand.  If you have access to mapping genomes quickly and manufacturing viruses, you could easily wipe out a huge hunk of the population with a deadly virus which only attacks people with certain genes.

You may not be able to get every white person, but you could get a lot.  All they want to do is kill innocents.  They don't care if you are a stay-at-home mom or a 4 year old child, or even a 5 star general.  9/11 hit both the pentagon and the world trade center.

We could have nanocapsules which are sprayed all over the air, and they go inside people, map their genome and if they are white or whatever you want, they release the pathogen.  Which is tailor made for humans and 100% lethal.

Humanity is very homogenous at the genetic level, our differences are little more than skin deep, there is more genetic variation in a single tribe of 50 chimps than there is in the entire human race of 7 billion, tailor making a virus to attack only white people is simply unfeasible unless your willing to accept massive amounts of collateral damage. I realise that in the case of extremist Islam, that isn't a problem for them, but you could essentially end up with a virus that kills vast swathes of the human population.

The talk of a new strain of bird-flu in China that's the cause of such concern highlights the problems, scientists are constantly vigilant for potentially contagious diseases crossing over from animals. Not once in the history of human civilisation have scientists been concerned with diseases crossing over from one race to another, if evolution hasn't found a way, I doubt some terrorists sitting in a basement will.

I agree that nano-tech changes the rules of the game once again, but that's a different debate - that's nano-terror, not bio-terror.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Yeah, we nearly went extinct some 70,000 years ago. Many people, such as myself, think it was the eruption of now-extinct supervolcano Toba that did that; brought us down to 10,000 adults of reproductive age. That kinda event would really bottleneck our DNA, limit a LOT of our diversity.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Attacking people with the genes that make them white.  It isn't that hard of a concept to understand.  If you have access to mapping genomes quickly and manufacturing viruses, you could easily wipe out a huge hunk of the population with a deadly virus which only attacks people with certain genes. You may not be able to get every white person, but you could get a lot.  All they want to do is kill innocents.  They don't care if you are a stay-at-home mom or a 4 year old child, or even a 5 star general.  9/11 hit both the pentagon and the world trade center. We could have nanocapsules which are sprayed all over the air, and they go inside people, map their genome and if they are white or whatever you want, they release the pathogen.  Which is tailor made for humans and 100% lethal.

Humanity is very homogenous at the genetic level, our differences are little more than skin deep, there is more genetic variation in a single tribe of 50 chimps than there is in the entire human race of 7 billion, tailor making a virus to attack only white people is simply unfeasible unless your willing to accept massive amounts of collateral damage. I realise that in the case of extremist Islam, that isn't a problem for them, but you could essentially end up with a virus that kills vast swathes of the human population. The talk of a new strain of bird-flu in China that's the cause of such concern highlights the problems, scientists are constantly vigilant for potentially contagious diseases crossing over from animals. Not once in the history of human civilisation have scientists been concerned with diseases crossing over from one race to another, if evolution hasn't found a way, I doubt some terrorists sitting in a basement will. I agree that nano-tech changes the rules of the game once again, but that's a different debate - that's nano-terror, not bio-terror.

If we had the virus sit inside a capsule that releases in the presence of particular genes your argument is avoided. Seems like a lot of work but if its possible they will try

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

it Is very easy to spread bio terrorism. I saw a documentary on that once. All one need is to have a spry can and spread a virus or a new bacteria with it...we are still underestimating bio-terrorism.

sweetwilliam

sweetwilliam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationDenmark

On a small scale it is pretty easy to create a bunch of bakteria if you can find a sample (for instance from someone who is sick), just did this in a project at school. This could relatively easily be processed into a bioweapon, but of very limited effect unless you find someone who is actually ill with a powerful germ.

But getting hold of serious diseases is much more difficult, for instance the only samples of smallpox here in Denmark are located on an island with high security where the state serum institute work with epidemology.

So it is not difficult to create a bioweapon, what is difficult is to obtain a dangerous disease you can use in said weapon

The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason..... Faith and feelings are the darkness to reason's light

- Richard Rahl and Zeddicus Zorander, protagonists in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Yeah, but you are still underestimating it.

Those viruses/bacteria don't exist.  The threat comes from being able to cheaply manufacture them.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

I don't think creating a virus to kill a particular ethnicity is a really good idea for terrorists. Wouldn't it be easy to stop, especially if we are talking about a time when we have nanobots, which will start to come around by 2025? Plus no ethnicity is homogenous. Muslims aren't a race (hate that word-there is only one human race. Different skin pigmentation doesn't make you a different race.), but a religion. There are plenty black and white Muslims. Any radical Muslim designing such a virus is essentially killing their own people.

I don't think they hate white people anyway. Just the West.

I think the danger comes from cyber-terrorism. Imagine if they could hack the nanobots inside you to rip you apart from the inside.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
They might even manage to come up with viruses that destroy nanobots to ensure that they spread rapidly through a country.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
And what about 'space terrorism'? I've seen this mentioned on a futurist YouTube channel before, they reckon that a few centuries into the future, terorrists will be able to control asteroids/meteors and send them plunging towards their target country. This seems like the most terrifying form of future terrorism that has been envisioned so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users