Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Next generation of occulus rift!

vr virtual reality or occulus rift

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Hey guys

So the Rift is set to come out sometime next year, but what do you think will come after it?  I've browsed many forums over the internet, and found nothing, so I'll ask it here.

The Rift is only the 1st generation of this technology and we all know how bad the 1st generation is a few years down the line, no matter how good they are when they come out. So what do you think will happen post Rift?

Will Microsoft and Sony leap on the bandwagon and start creating their own VR versions designed only for their consoles, or will the kit be much more generic suitable for any device? Will VR even take off? and perhaps the Rift will be a failure?

What do you think?

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Never even heard of it until you posted this! Just looked it up and it looks quite amazing. I wonder how many games will be compatible with this device.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Well for one the resolution. It is 720p I think. May even be lower. Better body tracking so you can move your character's limbs. Manipulation of every detail in the game world. Instead of rocks being a texture, in vr people will want to be able to manipulate everything. Picking up grass, skipping rocks, etc. graphics may be up to that around 2015. Also I can see tactile feedback getting realistic for skin by next decade sometime.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
Well for one the resolution. It is 720p I think. May even be lower. Better body tracking so you can move your character's limbs. Manipulation of every detail in the game world. Instead of rocks being a texture, in vr people will want to be able to manipulate everything. Picking up grass, skipping rocks, etc. graphics may be up to that around 2015. Also I can see tactile feedback getting realistic for skin by next decade sometime.

With the Rift you still use a controller. In most of the demo's an xbox controller is used. Therefore you can't do anything in rift that you can't do in a normal game. Picking up grass is still a long way off.

But resolution is an interesting one.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I thought we were talking about the next gen? I would say that's possible. Mods exist that have water droplets fall off you when getting out of the water. I can imagine a texture for grass if someone wanted it, to appear in your hands. Even if the texture doesn't change.

(They update less than once a year but apparently are still working on it)

http://en.m.wikipedi.../wiki/Euclideon

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Fatalbert911

Fatalbert911

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Locationusa, east coast

ok well firs the basic's i want my vr headset to be a full package complete with already built in headphones and microphone, later on i'd like real time dialog in games. like where i can say whatever in my mic & the characters would respond accordingly, which im guessing that is where ai comes in and finally the most realistic graphics possible of course...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vr, virtual reality, or, occulus rift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users