Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Resurrecting Wooly Mammoths

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

http://www.ted.com/t..._you_ready.html

What time do you guys predict we will bring them back. 5 years?

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

FallenPears

FallenPears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUK

I couldnt say when we do first bring them back, but the first few times i think they will likley die very quickly after. So in terms of actually truly bringing them back practically, i think 5 years will be far too short.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Almost certainly less than ten years - five years does seem most likely. Eventually even dinosaurs will be brought back, probably by the end of the century.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

dinosaurs? I think their DNA is too old, so we can't bring them back.

Man I can't wait for my Dodo burger though!

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Don't count on dinosaurs being resurrected for quite a long time until we can actually design an entire creature from scratch. And even then it wouldn't be a real dinosaur, would it? Just a construct.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Don't count on dinosaurs being resurrected for quite a long time until we can actually design an entire creature from scratch. And even then it wouldn't be a real dinosaur, would it? Just a construct.

Well, it's a matter of perspective. If people don't know how these "contructs" were created, they might as well simply call them dinosaurs because they look like the original ones. :)

What are you without the sum of your parts?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I think cloning dinosaurs will be possible eventually - as long as they have some sample of the DNA - the age shouldn't make it impossible.

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
I think cloning dinosaurs will be possible eventually - as long as they have some sample of the DNA - the age shouldn't make it impossible.

DNA has a half-life of about 521 years... so unless they were preserved in amber, ice, or something that wouldn't have allowed the DNA to decay it's unlikely we'll be ressurecting the dinosaurs. http://www.popsci.co...s-half-life-dna

edit: article states that "...the scientists calculated that every single DNA bond would be broken at 6.8 million years: The youngest dino fossils are 65 million years old."

Edited by CamGoldenGun, 08 May 2013 - 07:11 PM.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Maybe they will develop a way to use ancient bones for cloning - it can't be out of the question - it is biological material after all.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Stalkers! lol we already discussed of this lol... I don't know if there is still in the timeline but that prediction was inserted because of me :spiteful:

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Maybe they will develop a way to use ancient bones for cloning - it can't be out of the question - it is biological material after all.

It was, now it's basically just rock.

They could try and make their own though, Jurassic Park will be a possibility some day.

Edited by Rkw, 08 May 2013 - 07:48 PM.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Yeah, scientists have created a new species of bacteria. Give it a few decades, you'll have people inventing species out of nothing. We could look at the fossils, see how the dinosaurs lived through that, and know how to 'build' that specific genome from scratch. Of course, that's a ways off yet.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users