Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How optimistic are you about the success of cryogenic freezing?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Cryogenic Freezing (40 member(s) have cast votes)

How confident are you about cryogenic freezing?

1. I'm certain it would work (4 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. I'm almost certain it would work (10 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. It will most likely work (4 votes [10.00%])

4. It's could work (15 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

5. It will most likely not work (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

6. I'm almost certain it would not work (4 votes [10.00%])

7. I'm certain it would not work (1 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
How optimistic are you that you'd be resurrected after dying thanks to cryogenic freezing? Personally, I'm 50/50 about it.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Not super optimistic but I don't think it's impossible, you've got a few problems to face.

• Can you ever be brought back from the frozen state you are in? (Perhaps something in your initial freezing means that you are beyond recovery using future means)
  • Will your stasis unit be safe until such technologies are available? (Earthquakes, human negligence, power outages etc.)
  • Will the company you have paid still be around when such technologies are available (Will they run out of cash, will such practices be deemed immoral or illegal in the future? Will future generations of the company get greedy and attempt to weasel out of their contract somehow?)

If I was completely confident that I'd be brought back and at the appropriate time I'd be saving my money away right now and taking out a plan with a cryostasis company immediately, but as it is I'm not convinced. Luckily I should have a good few decades to mull it over, save money and for technology to progress. I'd sign up for it in later life if no huge medical advances were made by then.

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

I think they'll develop a way to put people into stasis & bring them back, but I think those that have died & been frozen will stay dead. 

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,476 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

My gut says that someone will come along with a very ingenious method of putting people into a stasis that does not require any "freezing."

We need a Elon Musk for the cryogenics industry.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Almost certain it'll work. I'm also desperate that it will work, just in case the Cure for Aging doesn't come out fast enough.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I sincerely hope it will work. It would definitely make death a less frightening concept.

Pwaa

Pwaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationUK

Not very.

I'm no scientist so i would feel foolish to rule it out, and we've seen examples of biological tissues surviving through being frozen for extremely long times, but there's a big difference between keeping tissue fresh and keeping something alive...

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
But if it's kept "fresh" - what's to stop us from eventually resurrecting it?

Kabe Ayofe

Kabe Ayofe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon

I'm not overly optimistic about people currently frozen.. I think within the next 40 years a far superior method of preservation will exist.

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon
But if it's kept "fresh" - what's to stop us from eventually resurrecting it?

Well then it wouldn't really be dead would it? If you're there to preserve the body then why let it die in the first place? Why not just preserve it before death then resurrect later?

Death by definition is the state by which someone cannot be recovered. That was previously defined as the following: "Death was once defined as the cessation of heartbeat and of breathing", then we invented CPR & definition no longer made sense. Now we define death as: "when the electrical activity in the brain ceases". Of course the neurons in the brain don't disappear straight away, and if the brain were to be "restarted" you'd come back from the dead. But then this would no longer be classified as dying anymore. You wouldn't be dead until your body had decayed beyond recovery. 

Edited by Ewan, 11 May 2013 - 02:24 PM.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,320 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

I think that it is about a 50%-50% proposition either way.

Edited by Futurist, 22 May 2013 - 09:46 PM.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,320 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth
I'm not overly optimistic about people currently frozen.. I think within the next 40 years a far superior method of preservation will exist.

Let's also hope that it is going to be much cheaper than Alcor's cryogenic preservation costs.

Kabe Ayofe

Kabe Ayofe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon

Let's also hope that it is going to be much cheaper than Alcor's cryogenic preservation costs.

ALCOR definitely need to adjust their cost, the Cryonics institute (http://www.cryonics.org) is an even bigger organisation than ALCOR and is less than half the price ($30k). I'm confident we'll have cryo-stasis by 2050 anyway.

Edited by Kabe Ayofe, 23 May 2013 - 12:27 AM.

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

I would like to think that it would work, as there would be a chance (well, after ressurection) of living into the future, but I am not particularly optimistic about its success (what I'd really love is life extension early enough, and with advancements being released rapidly enough that I can reach the aging escape velocity, but it's impossible to say at this point whether this is going to happen). It's currently a concept and nothing more, so I'm not going to count the chickens until the eggs have hatched (or if affordable life extension appears before decent cryonics).

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

I put I am entirely certain it will work, but that is based on the technology and not outside interference. It is possible a giant mob could come in and just blow up the building you happened to be stored in because they hate the idea of people coming back. Though I don't consider that a fault of the technology. Also things like the super volcano in yellowstone could erupt and kill everyone in the US, that also isn't the fault of the technology.

I am pretty sure that you can be revived and it is pretty much just a matter of time and remaining in a stable state until then. I am not 100% confident that the companies can keep you in that state for the full time, but I am fairly confident that they can turn a profit and stay in business, and as long as they are in business they are not going to be dumping anyone. So I pretty confident you are safe.

King of Ace

King of Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

HERE this one  

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=L6S5amkCoyc

you will have almost no control on whats coming years its a 50/50 chance

I am not a fan of S.T show "just don't like it" ,Its boring like hell but I love to see cool technology in coming years.

i don't live in really great english countries like some you guys, im alittle indian,chinese,enbgrish ,mexican, leaf village and soul society .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users