Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Starting fresh with VR lives.

Erase Memory Virtual life Start again Re-live

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Starting fresh with VR lives. (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you erase your current memories and live a new VR life?

1. Voted No. (22 votes [41.51%])

Percentage of vote: 41.51%

2. Only temporarily erase my memory. (19 votes [35.85%])

Percentage of vote: 35.85%

3. Only if I have full control over what my virtual world would be like. (5 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

4. Perhaps in later life. (7 votes [13.21%])

Percentage of vote: 13.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Given the following:

• Aging is no longer a problem, people live as long as they wish.
  • Working is no longer necessary.
  • You have access to perfect customisable VR technology.

Do you think at any stage in this type of future, that you would erase your current memories; your personality, and start again in a custom virtual world? A world of your design let's say. Anything that you could imagine, be it your current life with some "corrections" or a completely fantastical life, set in some mythical dream arena of your own making. Before returning to the real world thereafter with your new experiences added to your previous thoughts?

I think that I would. I've often fantasised about re-living my own life again with prior knowledge, or living our reality but with some cosmic and life changing events tossed into the mix. Aside from being a very long lived and vivid form of recreation, this could also force us to evolve our personalities, it would be hard to ignore another persons perspective through life if you had been that person.

What do you think? Is this too weird to be possible?

Edited by Rkw, 08 May 2013 - 11:40 PM.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Certainly. I've considered this many, many times before. Live the life of story protagonists, antagonists, or just extras. Famous people in history, so on, so forth. I'd collect experience from as many points of view as possible. Then, when each person's life is done, I'd just 'wake' back up in the real world...

Who knows? Maybe that's what we're doing now. A group of people linked together in one large, virtual 21st century world, thinking that is the present.

Maybe we're not even really humans.

Edited by WithoutCoincidence, 08 May 2013 - 11:48 PM.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

mojo_tony

mojo_tony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Yes maybe you are in a VR now, and you chose this setup. Maybe you chose to live through the singularity, from conception through to application.

If the technology exists in your lifetime, it will be quite a coincidence.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I think at one point of my existence I will put many memories in a folder...and take off bad memories and put them in a box...I want them out of my mind.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Definitely not. I'd hate to lose memories of my childhood, family and friends.

zen_mutiny

zen_mutiny

Post-Singularitarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Why lose your memories? They won't stop you from living the life you want in VR. In fact, they may help you to appreciate it more.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Why lose your memories? They won't stop you from living the life you want in VR. In fact, they may help you to appreciate it more.

It'd allow you to start afresh and adopt a truly new perspective. Plus doing so also removes the fact that you know it's not real, so you'd invest a lot more in it.

Saradus

Saradus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWales

Having seen Vanilla Sky, absolutely not :p In any case I would never want to remove the memories of my past.

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T. E. Lawrence

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I hope there will be a way to remove depression in the future.

I have some memories I would love to get rid of, I can only imagine what garbage I'll collect living to be 200 or whatever

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,126 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I think the only way I'm ever going to be able to have all the adventures and live all the stories I want to is if I can live them as stand alone lives without the baggage of past lives. and when I am done with those I can wake up with my mind reconnected to all my memories and spend time in reflection over the differences of my lives and the meaning of it all.

It's like self imposed artificial reincarnation, for the sake of self exploration and broader perspective.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

If you erased all your memories you might as well be dead. The new you isn't going to be you any more, so what is the point?

CLB

CLB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I'm kinda attached to my memories. I may choose to remove a few, but so far I haven't got any that really make me want to start messing with my brain.

If something I say sounds like trolling/being stupid/offensive, please forgive me. I'm bad with people.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,126 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.
If you erased all your memories you might as well be dead. The new you isn't going to be you any more, so what is the point?

I know I've likely replied to one of your posts on this board before, but I don't remember what post it was and how I replied. Am I a different person from the one who did reply to you before? It's possible and can be a philisophical conversation but in the end I'm pretty sure I'm still me, I've just done some spring cleaning of my memory.

Likewise one can remove memory and not stop existing. If you know your name and stub your toe, you feel pain, if you forget who you are and stub your toe... you are still the one feeling pain. Just like two people with your memories won't be one person controlling two bodies.

So I can see no reason why somebody couldn't temporarily remove memories and store them and life another life and then when that is over load the memories together and remember two lifetimes.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Possibly removing memories all at once would fracture identity; over time perhaps, like you enter the new life and lose all your past memories in the span of, say, five minutes? That way you don't spend any time as truly memory-less.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

I would absolutely live a separate life nested within this one.  In fact, I'm almost positive that's what I'm doing right now.  There's no way I just happened to luck out on living in this time period, the run-up toward the singularity.  You all are definitely just figments of my imagination.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

CLB

CLB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I'll leave you to that theory, then.

If something I say sounds like trolling/being stupid/offensive, please forgive me. I'm bad with people.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I would opt to lose all bad memories, but keep everything else.

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
You all are definitely just figments of my imagination.

You don't fool me, that's exactly what a figment of my imagination would say!

EDIT: Imagine for a moment how you'd feel if that was the case.

Relieved? That nothing you'd done had been permanent or had really mattered?

Or depressed, because everyone one you'd known had been fake, that nothing you'd done had been permanent, or had really mattered.. 

Edited by Rkw, 11 May 2013 - 02:07 AM.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063
You all are definitely just figments of my imagination.

You don't fool me, that's exactly what a figment of my imagination would say!

Shit... guys, he's onto me.  I gotta go.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

I just had a thought. Maybe you wouldn't even need to 'erase' your memories fully. You could sort of inhibit your memories, like a dream. Think about it. When you're in a dream, you rarely remember the real world, yet it's still you. Maybe a similar method can be used to avoid the loss of identity problem.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Erase, Memory, Virtual life, Start again, Re-live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users