Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Starting fresh with VR lives.

Erase Memory Virtual life Start again Re-live

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Starting fresh with VR lives. (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you erase your current memories and live a new VR life?

1. Voted No. (22 votes [41.51%])

Percentage of vote: 41.51%

2. Only temporarily erase my memory. (19 votes [35.85%])

Percentage of vote: 35.85%

3. Only if I have full control over what my virtual world would be like. (5 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

4. Perhaps in later life. (7 votes [13.21%])

Percentage of vote: 13.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Dwelling too much on the idea of solipsism is pointless, at the end of the day, even if this somehow turned out to be a simulation, you have to live this life as if it is real.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Yeah, cause if you're wrong this IS your real life, and you wasted it, the consequences are dire.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Lucid

Lucid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I'd rather not delete my memories, but instead keep them in storage and live a life where I don't have them. At the end of said life I become reconnected with those memories, and now have those two life experiences with me. however though, i'd rather not even do that. The main reason is being that I would be living a very similar life that I am living right now. Even though I'm still young and that I will eventually be part of the singularity, I feel as though trying to live another life without my current memories will be.... redundant. Not only that, but why would I even bother? Your experiences form your personality, so deleting (or removing) your memories would be like killing yourself and putting another mind in your body. Even if you remove some of your memories, your personality will be changed, and in term everything you ever do could be altered do to such deletion. I'd rather not even take the risk of altering my own personality for the sake of living a new life. Possibly being able to forget about certain thoughts (like the idea that you're in a virtual reality) could be done, so that when you live your virtual reality life you don't think about the fact that you're in virtual reality, which I guess could be related back to the idea of keeping your memories in storage, but these memories are still with you, just ignored for the time being. You could add markers in your virtual world to spark your memory and realize that you're inside a virtual world, so that if for whatever reason you want to get out, you always have the potential of doing so.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

This is how someone's life end up in the future....more or less

http://futurestates.tv/episodes/play

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 09 June 2013 - 09:04 PM.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
This is how someone's life end up in the future....more or less

http://futurestates.tv/episodes/play

lol thats fucking awesome...our world will become a big game! but my concern is Always the same what will happen to human relations?

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

What about human relations? Ideas of such are fluid and everchanging. As an introvert, I can easily say I have no trouble with this. Perhaps the technology is encouraging more people to be less outwardly social, but so what if it does? We can still play nice with each other if we absolutely have to, we just won't do it for fun anymore; our ideas of fun will change.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
What about human relations? Ideas of such are fluid and everchanging. As an introvert, I can easily say I have no trouble with this. Perhaps the technology is encouraging more people to be less outwardly social, but so what if it does? We can still play nice with each other if we absolutely have to, we just won't do it for fun anymore; our ideas of fun will change.

It may change but not for better. All this virtual world it is like it is "unnatural" for our brain.  Do you know that lots of people are getting depressed and eventually are comitting suicide because we don't interact as much we used to.

Watch this video after minute 15 or the entire video if you have time.

I remember you that we are animals and as such we need to touch each other, speak to each other, look at each other...it is like our brain is set in this way.

Failing to do so it can bring lots of negative consequences including swing of moods, what we call depression, lack of empathy for ceirtain things as we don't live in the world.

Virtual reality can offer us many things still humans still need to balance offline world with real world.

I remember that when I started to use internet in 1998 I was very excited, and I was this way until 2008 lets say. In the last years I really wish we had more time for physicial interaction. On the underground or on the bus it became almost impossible to talk to strangers. When we are having a dinner with family and friends, I can not tollerate that they are watchng their celphone instead of giving attentions to Others.. I also dislike when people say lets talk with skype instead of meeting...

I prefer the outside world.

Trust me psychologists and other social scientiests are already forecasting that levels of depression and other health related problems will drastically increase in the next 50 years.

I am not against technology, I love it thats one of the reason I am on this site. I believe that eventually it will improve many aspects of humanity but at the same times humans need to learn how to coexist with it in order to be happy.

mojo_tony

mojo_tony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I would absolutely live a separate life nested within this one.  In fact, I'm almost positive that's what I'm doing right now.  There's no way I just happened to luck out on living in this time period, the run-up toward the singularity.  You all are definitely just figments of my imagination.

You came up with the same theory as me! The question is, which one of us is real?

dreamer246

dreamer246

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

It may change but not for better. All this virtual world it is like it is "unnatural" for our brain.  Do you know that lots of people are getting depressed and eventually are comitting suicide because we don't interact as much we used to.

Watch this video after minute 15 or the entire video if you have time.

I remember you that we are animals and as such we need to touch each other, speak to each other, look at each other...it is like our brain is set in this way.

Failing to do so it can bring lots of negative consequences including swing of moods, what we call depression, lack of empathy for ceirtain things as we don't live in the world.

Virtual reality can offer us many things still humans still need to balance offline world with real world.

I remember that when I started to use internet in 1998 I was very excited, and I was this way until 2008 lets say. In the last years I really wish we had more time for physicial interaction. On the underground or on the bus it became almost impossible to talk to strangers. When we are having a dinner with family and friends, I can not tollerate that they are watchng their celphone instead of giving attentions to Others.. I also dislike when people say lets talk with skype instead of meeting...

I prefer the outside world.

Trust me psychologists and other social scientiests are already forecasting that levels of depression and other health related problems will drastically increase in the next 50 years.

I am not against technology, I love it thats one of the reason I am on this site. I believe that eventually it will improve many aspects of humanity but at the same times humans need to learn how to coexist with it in order to be happy.

Not necessarily.We could alter our minds so that the virtual world feels like our natural habitat instead of the physical world.

Or we could just make the two completely indistinguishable.

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

No, why would I? Perhaps just the bad memories...

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Erase, Memory, Virtual life, Start again, Re-live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users