Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Do you think you will still be alive in 100 billion years?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
^ you never miss a chance dont you Raklian? and the only people here who think they are gods are the seven members who tried so desperately to get rid of me, who are any of you to decide that im not worthy of this forum?
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
^ you never miss a chance dont you Raklian? and the only people here who think they are gods are the seven members who tried so desperately to get rid of me, who are any of you to decide that im not worthy of this forum?

You're doing this again.

And, where does it say I was one of those who tried to get rid of you? If you can't give an example, it would mean you have a very general view of the entire forum that is negative.

No, you misunderstood me. My complaint with you was many of your responses to other people's posts were asinine and inappropriate - I had hoped you would get the message and try to be more careful with how you response to others' posts. 

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,374 posts
^ just because i have different views doesnt make me insensitive.

Edited by Frizz, 03 September 2013 - 02:53 PM.

- Alexander McQueen

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,374 posts

You're doing this again. And, where does it say I was one of those who tried to get rid of you? If you can't give an example, it would mean you have a very general view of the entire forum that is negative. No, you misunderstood me. My complaint with you was many of your responses to other people's posts were asinine and inappropriate - I had hoped you would get the message and try to be more careful with how you response to others' posts. 

I never said you were one of the seven.
- Alexander McQueen

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,833 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

^ Then why mention about seven members thinking they're gods? I

It looked like it was implied I was one of them.

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,374 posts
^ well were you one of them?
- Alexander McQueen

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,833 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
^ well were you one of them?

Was I one of them?

Hmm... let's see. I don't think I am a god and I never proposed you should be banned from this forum, so the answer is - I am not one of them.

But I have to warn you, though, that by complaining about others, you're asking for trouble. So, try to get into the practice of refraining from doing this whenever you can.

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,374 posts
^ everyone complains about me, yet i ask for trouble. It doesnt matter but i hope everyone has gotten over themselves and realized that they cant just get someone banned because they yell loud enough, i hate drama, but i wont back down to bullies.
- Alexander McQueen

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
You are causing trouble. You are disrupting every thread you reply to. I agree with Raklian, if you want to stay here, at least try not to cause drama.

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

Well, despite all the following squabble & regardless of fact was it trolling or not, this phrase:

Your quest for immortality is nothing more than ego and fear, accept death as an inevitability, because it is going to happen eventually.

...clearly contains a grain of truth & clearly sounds more mature than many other posts here. This fear of death and dream about eternal (or "at least" 100 billion year-long) life looks so damn childish! Yes, guys, you will ALL die, even the youngest of you, regardless of you like this or not. And, to be honest, I don't see this as a great tragedy...

Who decides death has to happen?

Evolution decided, billions of years ago! Do you really hope you (i.e. exactly your generation) will be able to outwit evolution? No chance, nor is it necessary... yes, medicine is developing, but not that fast. Perhaps many of you will live up to 100, 120 or even 150 years. And perhaps, by that time you'll learn to accept the world as it is.

Sorry for the sharpness, but i just have no other words.

Edited by PhoenixRu, 03 September 2013 - 06:56 PM.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.
Your quest for immortality is nothing more than ego and fear, accept death as an inevitability, because it is going to happen eventually.

Ego? No. Fear? Certainly. If I weren't afraid of death, there would be something very, very wrong with me.

Of course death is inevitable. Simply by statistics, it must eventually happen. But I want to die on my terms, not some arbitrary 'times up' that my biology imposes.

• Raklian and FutureOfToday like this

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
And when you lie on your death bed, full of regrets and unfulfilled desires but totally helpless to what is about to happen to you...the erasing of your conscious you'll realize, the blinking out of your existence...All you've ever felt and all you ever were was for naught. The conclusion is inevitable and every survival instinct in your brain starts you panicking and you cry and you beg and you choke. Your body contorts and you flail and twitch uselessly until your very soul fades and you become no more.

That's why death is terrible.

I think I just shit myself. LMAO

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Well, despite all the following squabble & regardless of fact was it trolling or not, this phrase:

...clearly contains a grain of truth & clearly sounds more mature than many other posts here. This fear of death and dream about eternal (or "at least" 100 billion year-long) life looks so damn childish! Yes, guys, you will ALL die, even the youngest of you, regardless of you like this or not. And, to be honest, I don't see this as a great tragedy...

Who decides death has to happen?

Evolution decided, billions of years ago! Do you really hope you (i.e. exactly your generation) will be able to outwit evolution? No chance, nor is it necessary... yes, medicine is developing, but not that fast. Perhaps many of you will live up to 100, 120 or even 150 years. And perhaps, by that time you'll learn to accept the world as it is.

Sorry for the sharpness, but i just have no other words.

Oh really now, we'll all die? Because you've been to the future?

The reason why you don't see death as a tragedy is 1) you're not close to death and 2) you view death as inevitable. Your brain is hardcoded into thinking death is not as bad as it actually is. Because, if you viewed death as bad as it truely is, then you would have the will, desire, nor strive to do the things that you need to do. It's a paradox followed by many people in society; They view death as unavoidable therefore not only do they say that anti-aging is impossible, but refute any attempts at achieving the goal because they don't want to have hope to live forever. Yet the second the technology becomes available, some of them are the first people to receive said treatment. 

My friend, why is it morally acceptable or scientifically possible to cure cancer but not aging? Why do people hope for a cure for cancer, but not for aging when it kills more people? Why do people accept cancer as a tragedy and a purely scientific process that can be cured, but yet for some reason aging, which happens on the cellular level as well, is some sort of "unscientific" process that can never be cured. It is because your brain is hardwired into thinking dying is not as bad as it really is because you view it as inevitable!

As for your second topic. Yes Medicine is developing that fast. All technology increases at an exponential rate the moment it is unveiled. Therefore, THE VERY INSTANT anti-aging technology was researched, it has increased exponentially. By this logic, Like all other logic in science (Aging is not "special" it's just simply science and nothing else) The longer you live, the longer your life can be extended due to this technology when it becomes available to the public, until the aging escape velocity is reached - because it is accelerating. And even if not, there is always the option of freezing yourself. Cyropreservation will see enormous breakthroughs in the coming years. Remember, a long time ago you'd only live to 20. Now you'd live to 100. So by this scale why is it wrong to want to live to 500? (5x as long). Or simply forever?

And by the way, We will very soon take over evolution. It took the life 600 million years to get to modern humans. Yet we are relatively close to artificial intelligence in only 100 years of computing!

Edited by Squillimy, 05 September 2013 - 01:10 AM.

• Raklian and FutureOfToday like this

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

No, i don't need the time machine to come to this idea, just a simple logic & some life experience... all the previous generations are dead, and this sad fact gives us a hint about our own future.

As for your second topic. Yes Medicine is developing that fast. All technology increases at an exponential rate the moment it is unveiled. 

Blessed are those who believe... if, however, we look at history, we'll see that reality may be far from it. Aero/astro -nautics for example: huge progress from 1913 to 1963 (from wooden airplanes to jet fighters and first spaceships) & much more modest progress within next 50 years (1963-2013).

My friend, why is it morally acceptable or scientifically possible to cure cancer but not aging? Why do people hope for a cure for cancer, but not for aging when it kills more people? Why do people accept cancer as a tragedy and a purely scientific process that can be cured, but yet for some reason aging, which happens on the cellular level as well... Remember, a long time ago you'd only live to 20. Now you'd live to 100. So by this scale why is it wrong to want to live to 500? (5x as long). Or simply forever?

I didn't say it morally unacceptable. But there is a huge gap between cancer (disease) and aging (natural process). I suspect it will be MUCH harder to change our genetic nature than to cure all the real and possible diseases. 20 years was an average lifespan exactly because of epidemics, huge infant mortality, etc. Thanks to modern medicine, we can cure them and come closer and closer to our "natural" lifespan (which is still much shorter than 500 years), but each next step on this way will be shorter and shorter.

And even if not, there is always the option of freezing yourself.

LOL and how much will it cost? This option is for rich weirdos only. Besides, if even you're one of them, don't forget you'll wake up in a society where your former wealth and influence will mean nothing. Something like Tutankhamun returned back to life in modern Egypt. Perhaps he'd get some pension and become another tourist attraction, but nothing more... greatest culture shock and suicide as best solution...

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

No, i don't need the time machine to come to this idea, just a simple logic & some life experience... all the previous generations are dead, and this sad fact gives us a hint about our own future.

As for your second topic. Yes Medicine is developing that fast. All technology increases at an exponential rate the moment it is unveiled. 

Blessed are those who believe... if, however, we look at history, we'll see that reality may be far from it. Aero/astro -nautics for example: huge progress from 1913 to 1963 (from wooden airplanes to jet fighters and first spaceships) & much more modest progress within next 50 years (1963-2013).

My friend, why is it morally acceptable or scientifically possible to cure cancer but not aging? Why do people hope for a cure for cancer, but not for aging when it kills more people? Why do people accept cancer as a tragedy and a purely scientific process that can be cured, but yet for some reason aging, which happens on the cellular level as well... Remember, a long time ago you'd only live to 20. Now you'd live to 100. So by this scale why is it wrong to want to live to 500? (5x as long). Or simply forever?

I didn't say it morally unacceptable. But there is a huge gap between cancer (disease) and aging (natural process). I suspect it will be MUCH harder to change our genetic nature than to cure all the real and possible diseases. 20 years was an average lifespan exactly because of epidemics, huge infant mortality, etc. Thanks to modern medicine, we can cure them and come closer and closer to our "natural" lifespan (which is still much shorter than 500 years), but each next step on this way will be shorter and shorter.

And even if not, there is always the option of freezing yourself.

LOL and how much will it cost? This option is for rich weirdos only. Besides, if even you're one of them, don't forget you'll wake up in a society where your former wealth and influence will mean nothing. Something like Tutankhamun returned back to life in modern Egypt. Perhaps he'd get some pension and become another tourist attraction, but nothing more... greatest culture shock and suicide as best solution...

Sorry ahead of time for the long post. But you made alot of topics and I like to reply to people to the best of my ability, and not give them half ass responses :)

1) No it doesn't. First of all all previous generations are not dead. But as for your logic that "everyone in the far past is dead by now" is correct, but you're relating the past to the future without considering technology. By that logic "everyone in the past lived for 50 years, so we will only live for 50 years" is not true. Or "every government in the past was a feudalistic society, so therefore we will be a feudalistic society". As ridiculous as my points sound, that is what you're argument states. Change comes with time and especially with science, You can not ignore science and progression and simply say the past will be like the future based on intuition. 

2) There have been astounding developments in aeronautics. Look at aeroplanes in 1913, then 1963. And look at them now. We have UAV's, Drones, advanced Helicopters, Super-sonic jets, Commercial airplanes regulated by advanced robotics. Also huge advances in rocket and weapon propulsion systems.  

As for astronautics. What are you talking about? In 1969 we landed another man on the moon!. Now We have bots exploring the moon, exploring mars, flying through and exploring space as well. We have satellites in space and GPS. Ever heard of google maps and google earth? Try telling someone in 1963 we've mapped nearly the whole entire world to scale. Driverless cars which are powered by GPS as well. We have discovered hundreds of planets beyond our solar system. We know much more about space than we did then. We have made several breakthroughs in propulsion technology... As you can see this tech is exponentially rising too. You just think because we don't have something like interplanetary travel or bases on the moon (which are coming soon!) that the field is stagnant, but it's not. Part of the reason progress is slow because of the astronomical distances and prices. There's no immediate human use of a man on mars besides scientific curiosity. There's a immediate human use to longevity though. Also research in biology is much cheaper and broad.

3) True you may have not said that but that is the attitude followed by many people in society. Also, how much of a gap? To create nanobots that can go in your body and kill cancer cells isn't far off from nanobots that can go in your body and repair damage if you think about it. But as for our "natural lifespan" this is an arbitrary point and hard to exactly figure out considering that no other animals besides humans bathe extensively / take antibiotics & medicine / avoid biologically harmful situations (such as keeping away from others who are sick).

4) Not alot. Right now I believe it's only about 30,000 dollars and the price is destined to drop as well as the process becoming more efficient. Although it may be "freaky" now, when 2080 rolls around and the average lifespan is extended greatly and increasing exponentially, and it becomes well known that living forever could be in the forseeable future. I guarantee these places will start getting some business. As for your point with when I wake up I'll be worth nothing; perhaps you're right. But I'll have my life, and to me that's worth more than money can buy

Edited by Squillimy, 05 September 2013 - 04:55 PM.

• Raklian likes this

VRMMORPG

VRMMORPG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Im sorry, but lot of you think that have the reason about life and death and prevent, what we think, what now is unavoidable like death.  But you talk like if you know death as being the end of everything, the non existing. But we dont even know our origins, we dont trully know the universe, and certanly, we dont know everything. Im not trying to impose a religious view here, but there are so many things unsolved, im just trying you to open up to possibilites, you have a wide openness to the technology and innovations, and what will be possible, but maybe you need to open up your perspectives about this.

I think, that everything in this universe has a start and a finish, nothing is forever, and that include us, so unless we change universes here law has to be fullfilled.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

True. But part of the thing with living forever is that you don't need to take the risk, and you can see & experience the steps humanity takes well passed the time where you would've normally died.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 6,833 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

It'd be cool if you achieved immortality and lived to the 28th century where you tell other citizens you were born in a time people died of old age. One of them will be like, "what? what is "died?"

lol :D

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

And they'll tell me "Granddad stfu with your stories about the 'good ol' days!"

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace

Not sure.

I sure hope I have the capability to live for 100Gy+. Would I is a question? I for sure want biological immortality and die when I wish but 100 billion years.

By 20 years society will rapidly change and everything you one knew will be gone or archived. In 50M years, the land you called Earth will be different. In 5B years the sun will devover the Earth. In 10 all remains of our solar system is gone. The entire singularity will breeze by. I don't think anyone who knows the magnitude of 100 Billion solar cycles/ 2.999*10^28 vibrations of a cesium 133 atom.  

I just can't answer this question right now.

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users