Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

LGBT+ News and Discussions

gay marriage homosexuality LGBT+ transgender gay marriage bisexuality

• Please log in to reply
790 replies to this topic

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

The Trump Administration Asked The Supreme Court To Legalize Firing Workers Simply For Being Gay

Source: BuzzFeed News

The Trump Administration Asked The Supreme Court To Legalize Firing Workers Simply For Being Gay

Friday's brief comes after the administration argued that federal law allows firing workers simply for being transgender.

Dominic Holden
BuzzFeed News Reporter
Posted on August 23, 2019, at 3:29 p.m. ET

The Trump administration took its hardest line yet to legalize anti-gay discrimination on Friday when it asked the Supreme Court to declare that federal law allows private companies to fire workers based only on their sexual orientation.

An amicus brief (1) filed by the Justice Department weighed in on two cases involving gay workers and what is meant by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which bans discrimination "because of sex." The administration argued courts nationwide should stop reading the civil rights law to protect gay, lesbian, and bisexual workers from bias because it was not originally intended to do so.

That view conflicts with some lower court rulings that found targeting someone for their sexual orientation is an illegal form of both sex discrimination and sex stereotyping under Title VII. Those courts have found, to illustrate the point, that a gay man wouldn't be targeted if he were instead a woman dating a man; thus he faced discrimination because of his sex.

But the administration said in its brief Friday that Title VII's ban on sex discrimination only prohibits unequal treatment between "biological sexes," as it argued last week in a related brief against transgender rights, in which the Justice Department said companies should be able to fire people because they are transgender as well.

Congress did not explicitly say that the meaning of sex in Title VII encompasses LGBTQ people, so, the administration argues, the law cannot apply to sexual orientation. Federal lawyers are asking the Supreme Court, for the first time, to explicitly limit the Civil Right Act's protections to exclude LGBTQ people.

(1) https://www.supremec...nitedStates.pdf

Read more: https://www.buzzfeed...tus-gay-workers

Trump To SCOTUS: Legalize Firing People For Being Gay
August 23, 2019

https://www.joemygod...-for-being-gay/

Omosoap

Omosoap

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

There are a lot of articles on this right now, so I thought I would put this here. Others can contribute better ones if they so wish. I just thought PBS did a decent job in explaining the situation. Basically, a study in genetics has revealed a "gay gene" doesn't exist, but that same sex behavior is influenced by many small genetic factors (as well as environmental and social factors). However, the genetic influence is only accounting for 8 to 25 percent of same sex behavior. The limitations in the study were that they only studied people who had same sex sex, instead of those who also identified with same sex behavior but had not been sexually active with someone of the same sex. They also left out people who were trans or intersex. The other limitation was that they had access to mostly only people's genetic data that were of European descent, meaning they have not been able yet to study other parts of the world and how this is similar or different. However, it is a massive study, so it seems to be well done.

https://www.pbs.org/...-study-confirms

• Erowind likes this

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
Since race doesn't exist for a genetic study it doesn't matter that they only used European populations. If there were a genetic cause for being gay it would be present in other populations to my knowledge given that other parts of the world also have gay people. I'm a big fan of the study though. It just reinforces that there are a complex multitude of influences that build a person and how powerful culture is.

This is me getting into speculation. But I highly suspect that the hyper-individualist selfishness seen in America and other developed capitalist nations isn't natural but cultural. People act horrible because they are conditoned to not because it is the inherent human condition. What's hopeful about that is that one day a more holistic culture may be possible.
  • Omosoap likes this

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Transgender student gets backing to stay at all-boys Christ's College as a female

https://www.stuff.co...ege-as-a-female

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Angelica Ross Will Be First Trans Person to Host Presidential Forum

https://www.out.com/...QfFjWTIwbSy0Izo

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Bernie Sanders Is Only Major Candidate to Sit Out Both LGBTQ Events

Progressive presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is the only frontrunner who will miss both events aimed at discussing LGBTQ equality and rights.

The rest of the frontrunners will be on hand Friday for an LGBTQ Presidential Forum, cosponsored by The Advocate in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. And, according to CNN's schedule for the event, all of the heavy-hitters other than Sanders will also attend the Human Rights Campaign/CNN’s LGBTQ Town Hall slated for October 10 in Los Angeles. The senator from Vermont’s team has cited “scheduling conflicts” for both events.

Among those attending the LGBTQ Forum cosponsored by The Advocate and GLAAD are Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, Julián Castro, Amy Klobuchar, Tulsi Gabbard, Joe Sestak, and Marianne Williamson. Pose star Angelica Ross will host the event that features columnist Lyz Lenz of eastern Iowa newspaper The Gazette, One Iowa Policy Director Keenan Crow, and Advocate Editor-in-chief Zach Stafford as moderators.

Earlier this week, Ross pointed out in a tweet that Sanders would not be present at the Iowa forum.

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Bernie sitting out the LGBTQ events is chill imo. Less potential for his campaign to be targeted and misrepresented by neoliberals who want more gay cops and trans ceos. 

• rennerpetey likes this

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,731 posts

Stop calling it a choice: Biological factors drive homosexuality

https://theconversat...exuality-122764

Introduction:

(The Conversation)  Across cultures, 2% to 10% of people report having same-sex relations. In the U.S., 1% to 2.2% of women and men, respectively, identify as gay. Despite these numbers, many people still consider homosexual behavior to be an anomalous choice. However, biologists have documented homosexual behavior in more than 450 species, arguing that same-sex behavior is not an unnatural choice, and may in fact play a vital role within populations.

In a recent issue of Science magazine, geneticist Andrea Ganna at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, and colleagues, describe the largest survey to date for genes associated with same-sex behavior. By analyzing the DNA of nearly half a million people from the U.S. and the U.K., they concluded that genes account for between 8% and 25% of same-sex behavior.

Numerous studies have established that sex is not just male or female. Rather, it is a continuum that emerges from a person’s genetic makeup. Nonetheless, misconceptions persist that same-sex attraction is a choice that warrants condemnation or conversion, and leads to discrimination and persecution.

I am a molecular biologist and am interested in this new study as it further illuminates the genetic contribution to human behavior. As the author of the book, “Pleased to Meet Me: Genes, Germs, and the Curious Forces That Make Us Who We Are,” I have done extensive research into the biological forces that conspire to shape human personality and behavior, including the factors influencing sexual attraction.

file-20190902-175663-baya3w.jpg?ixlib=rb

A new study suggests that genes are responsible for between 8% and 25% of same-sex preference.

Guru 3D

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Study finds transgender, non-binary autism link

Gender identity clinics should screen patients, says lead author of new paper

Anglia Ruskin University

New research indicates that transgender and non-binary individuals are significantly more likely to have autism or display autistic traits than the wider population - a finding that has important implications for gender confirmation treatments.

The study, led by Dr Steven Stagg of Anglia Ruskin University (ARU) and published in the journal European Psychiatry, is one of the first pieces of research to focus on people who identify as non-binary.

It found that 14% of the transgender and non-binary group had a diagnosis of autism, while a further 28% of this group reached the cut off point for an autism diagnosis, suggesting a high number of potentially undiagnosed individuals.

These figures were primarily driven by high scoring amongst those whose assigned gender was female at birth, supporting recent evidence that there is a large population of undiagnosed women with an autism spectrum disorder.

https://www.eurekale...u-sft071619.php

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
I'm replying to the article here.

I think gender clinics should absolutely not screen people for autism. Autism as a diagnosis at least when I was a kid was constantly given as a false diagnosis. Not only that but even if someone is a high functioning autistic it's probably better they never get a diagnosis assuming they can live without one. As someone who was misdiagnosed with autism when I was younger no one should have to go through the alienation and discrimination this society puts people through for being neurodivergant. 7 out of the 10 schools I was sent to were on professional recommendations trying to fit me into their education methodology, none of them worked. At one of those "schools" (prisons) they put kids in solitary for hours as a disciplinary action. Now, solitary is wrong period, but it's doubly wrong when the victims haven't even committed a crime. Special needs people are liable to be treated poorly simply for existing.

For anyone wondering. The school doubled as a first step before juvie for "juvenile delinquents." For the juvie kids the guards at the school called the room the hole. For the special needs kids the teachers called it the "sensory calm down room." If you didn't do your work, or refused to act like they wanted you to that's where you went. Theoretically they were only supposed to use solitary for violent students (which doesn't make sense anyways) but they used it on anyone for whatever infractions they felt like. The room itself I'll admit wasn't as bad as a prisons solitary cell but the same concept applys. It was a concrete ~12*12 cell brightly lit so you couldn't sleep with no windows and a steel door with one tiny barred window. It wasn't uncommon for me to spend entire school days in that blasted room.

The special education system is uncomfortablely close in proximity to the school to prison pipeline in America and it would do professional institutions well to keep children as far away as possible from it if they can.

And by the way. For anyone wondering what actual abelism looks like this is it. Pardon the french but saying the word "retard" is the least of my concerns when kids are being treated like prisoners. If all the virtue signallers in the world expended the same effort pointing out material injustice and prejudice something might change.

Edit: Doing a quick google search shows the practice is still very common today and is an unaddressed national issue. I'm starting to wonder if I should get in touch with the National Lawyers Guild and pursue child abuse charges before I'm too old to.

Jessica

Jessica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Gay rights: Supreme Court divided in LGBT job discrimination case
WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court appeared deeply divided Tuesday on a major civil rights question: whether gay and transgender people are covered by a federal law barring employment discrimination on the basis of sex.

The court's rulings in three cases, which are not expected until next year, seemed to hinge on President Donald Trump's two nominees. Associate Justice Neil Gorsuch called the dispute over transgender rights "close" but more likely an issue for Congress to address. Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh was mostly silent, leaving his position in doubt.

By contrast, the court's four liberal justices forcefully denounced the firings of two gay men and a transgender woman from Georgia, New York and Michigan and made clear they believe all three should be protected by the statutory ban on sex discrimination.

"We can't deny that homosexuals are being fired merely for being who they are and not because of religious reasons, not because they are performing their jobs poorly," Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor said, calling it "invidious behavior."

The three cases are among the most significant on the high court's 2019 docket, and the justices' rulings are likely to come in the heat of the 2020 presidential campaign.

https://www.msn.com/...case/ar-AAItgUH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gay marriage, homosexuality, LGBT+, transgender, gay, marriage, bisexuality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users