Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What information saturation does to a person

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

They frame it as what does the internet do to people, but it's not the internet as much as it is saturation of information without concentration and reflection.

https://www.youtube....v=cKaWJ72x1rI#!

you can see it with TV before the internet. Things like five news channels and documentary channels and ectect.

You see it in activist communities too, where people seem to get activism ADHD. Every new report of a problem scrambles the brains and disrupts momentum toward making things better.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Related: the average person is now exposed to as much data in a single day as someone in the 15th century would be exposed to in their entire lifetime.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,668 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Soon:[color=#add8e6;] more data created for people to be exposed to than can be digested in 10,000 years.[/color]

We will need to be transhumans to fully comprehend all this data. I'm surprised even computers can keep up.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

I gotta get back to learning to meditate.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,668 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

[color=#d3d3d3;]Christopher Hitchens represents conspiracy theories as the "exhaust fumes of democracy" the unavoidable result of a large amount of information circulating among a large number of people.[/color]

The more information out there, the more conspiracy theories you'll see. Soon, you'll run into conspiracy theories about how human language is a method of control by your favorite ancient super elite group of illuminated shadow government lizard men because its use is so widespread... Oh wait...

Edited by The Young Homo Maximus, 21 May 2013 - 02:03 AM.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users