Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Consoles in year 2020 , generation after Xbox One and PS4

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

psychonaut25

psychonaut25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Here is one inetersting article about consoles in near future , it means the generation after Xbox one and PS4...what are your thoughts on console gameing and gaming itself in the future? My personal oppinion is that consoles will survive even after Xbox One and PS4 generation. 

http://www.forbes.co...ration-of-2020/

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

I agree with you, maybe we will get one extra generation maybe lasting until late 2020's but after that? What do you think?

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

It depends on what people want (obviously), generally we're seeing a trend towards smaller and smaller computing devices in everyday life-apart from gamers, not many still use Desktops, it's moved on to laptops and will probably move on almost fully to tablets, with Gamers again choosing larger devices.

An interesting concept would be one where a console device has such an architecture whereby it could if there was another device nearby/attached outsource processing power enabling for more complex mechanics and higher graphical fidelity. It has the advantage that individual units would likely be relatively cheap. You could have processing power that starts at say a 2020 equivalent to the PSP so mobile gaming is still possible, and from there-you get the picture.

Whether or not the device would be secure is another question, but perhaps something based on open software like Linux or Android could be possible.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationUK

I think gaming after 2020 will be mainly cloud-sourced. Large centralised supercomputers will allow the shrinking of gaming devises and far superior games. It will also allow

more simple mass multi-player integration and will save energy and resources.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
By 2020 we'll be in the ninth and approaching the tenth generation of video games consoles. I think that they will be far more immersive and physical in use. Also, by 2020, video game graphics will be photorealistic. Just look at the difference between the graphics of Grand Theft Auto in 1997 and the graphics of Grand Theft Auto V to be released this year. And that's what just sixteen years can do. In another seven years, we will have photorealistic graphics.

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

^ They said we'd have photo-realistic graphics this generation, graphics may look very good now but as people become more nuanced graphics appear to become less impressive. The biggest next-gen graphics engine will most likely be Unreal Engine 4, with which I can already say "that doesn't look quite right".

Slightly off-topic, many games are no-longer going down the path of photo-realism, many developers now choose to give their games a visual quirkiness to distinguish them from other, similar games. Most notable I can think of is Red Dead Redemption, which gave objects a subtle cartoon edges. Another one is Mass Effect of course, which is well known for its lens flares.

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Stars of Which to be Settled

How about VR glasses for gaming? When, if at all, will it be introduced. As for the consoles, it is basically a computer for the tv.

"We know Everything, but not Everything"~ Me

"Don't question what I know, question what I don't know."~ Me

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will"~Italian UFO

psychonaut25

psychonaut25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I dont know...I am.not so sure about VR. I think that this is still very unusable technology.Remember the big boom of VR in mid 90's ? And as fast as it expanded the faster it faded away. Screens placed right in front eyes is not so hitech anymore i think. I think that interactive holograms are the future gaming. And another thing. I agree with the first reply. We will get one more generation of physical consoles and physical discs. HVD discs could be quite ok.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

3-d holographic interface...

There will be games where you player is standing 10 feet away from you with the environment(world) within a 20-50 foot sq area.

You can even within the holographic projection. Hell, you could play as you. Think about it!!!

The End or The Beginnning

The End or The Beginnning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationOkinawa, Japan
I think gaming after 2020 will be mainly cloud-sourced. Large centralised supercomputers will allow the shrinking of gaming devises and far superior games. It will also allow

more simple mass multi-player integration and will save energy and resources.

I think you're right, but the main problem with cloud computing is instead of a 1 time price for the system you'd have to pay a monthly fee. On the plus side instead of buying a new console the system gets better over time.

With the new systems it will be about merging many features. You can watch tv, browse the internet, make calls, and communicate with multiple portable devices. That way you can continue your game or show wherever you are. The article is probably right that apple will try to get in on it.

"Exponential growth looks like nothing is happening, and then suddenly you get this explosion at the end." -Ray Kurzweil

psychonaut25

psychonaut25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
And when Apple will rty it then Samsung will try it also. I think that new console developers will rise this gen. Android is very versatile platform. Console based on android is partially a fact,the Ouya.

Pwaa

Pwaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationUK

I'm not a fan of consoles, i feel they're holding gaming back even if they are making it more mainstream and bringing more business to the industry.

I think there's a chance that smart TVs will overtake them, that rather than having a big black box under your TV, you'll be able to get a PSTV or an XboxTV with slightly better hardware built-in that might be upgradable when it becomes out of date.  And if Xbox and Playstation don't start this with the rise of Android based consoles, i imagine it will only be a matter of time before someone like Samsung do.  They will start off with fewer AAA games, but eventually studios will start to develop for them i think.

But its hard to think there will be much change right now sadly.  As long as devs keep making decent games for PC (and hopefully using the PC as lead platform) i'll be happy.

Edited by Pwaa, 04 June 2013 - 09:56 AM.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

lol I really want one of these

Posted Image

too damn expensive though.You'll never get an xboxtv while they cost so much. Then again only a decade ago big plasma tvs cost upwards of 10 grand, now you can buy one for a few hundred quid.

Hopefully the same will be true with these.

I stay awake at night lusting after its sensual curves and beautiful screen Oh the screen!

No but seriously thats a good idea pwaa! Microsoft seem to be trying to appeal to the average tv viewer. what better way of doing that than actually making a tv?

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationSlocan Park, BC

For one thing Nintendo will definately release a console equal in power to the Xbox One/PS4.

RDP

RDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Location' DROP TABLE users --
For one thing Nintendo will definately [sic] release a console equal in power to the Xbox One/PS4.

I don't think this will happen. Nintendo has been taking a rather sharp decline with its 3DS and WiiU. Nintendo is geared toward family-friendly fun (simple games like Mario, party games, and the like). The games Nintendo is made for aren't resource hogs. They're most often very simple games where YOU make the fun happen. Games played on Sony and Microsoft consoles need the most memory, speed, and best graphics, whereas games on Nintendo don't strive for photo realism, but a more cartoony feel. Nintendo has no need for powerful consoles like Microsoft and Sony.

Find me on Steam (mainly DotA 2)

"The idea of Romans creating a religion to counter act the Jewish religion and then persecute the religion they created is absurd enough to have its own episode on Ancient Aliens."

-tw88

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Nintendo have always struck me as making the most futuristic and innovative consoles. They're all about the technology used on their actual hardware as opposed to on their games. They were the first ones to introduce wireless consoles, they were the ones who made 3D graphics without glasses the norm.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,030 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I hail from the year 2016 to tell you denizens of the ancient past that, judging by current trends, consoles of 2020 will likely become PCs. Current console makers recognize the limits of remaining stuck to hardware that's often outdated upon release. In the '90s and '00s, this wasn't a problem since GPUs weren't a thing. PC gaming back then was always known to be second-tier to console gaming because of just how limited PCs were. A console could dedicate *all* its power towards gaming; computers needed some of that power distributed towards several things. But now, PCs no longer have that drawback since GPUs are just so damn powerful. 

With the latest "mid-generation" consoles coming out, we've seen that the console makers want to design consoles to be as much like PCs as possible. They're allowing mods to be downloaded onto consoles, which is just the first step. The next step would be to make a 'futureproofed' console that can be upgraded at one's leisure, which is probably what the Nintendo Switch will play with. 

So with that in mind, all I can say is...

HEIL PC

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yugioh32

Yugioh32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I can't wait until virtual reality improves to such a degree where it feels real!

cerealkiller

cerealkiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationUK
I think we will continue to see the likes of Microsoft develop gaming for the foreseeable future. It might be in the form of online cloud based gaming like Steam with some sort of subscription model or they might fully over to VR and AR and both of these new areas of technology are being worked on by Microsoft at the moment.
I think the future of gaming definitely lies in both these new areas, there's just so much possibility.
We create our own future's and therefore our own destinies.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

An interesting concept would be one where a console device has such an architecture whereby it could if there was another device nearby/attached outsource processing power enabling for more complex mechanics and higher graphical fidelity. It has the advantage that individual units would likely be relatively cheap. You could have processing power that starts at say a 2020 equivalent to the PSP so mobile gaming is still possible, and from there-you get the picture.[...]

This post while being a bit off with the implementation is suprisingly telling. The Nintendo Switch is the portable/home console hybrid that Izzy predicted. It does not connect to a more powerful home base yet, however, as Yuli said above, that could change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users