Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

tDCS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

I bought the first commercially available Trans-cranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) device from foc.us.  This particular headset stimulates the pre-frontal cortex which controls information processing. 

Studies have shown that the effects of tDCS are permanent, so I'm pretty excited about it. 

You can grab one for $249. Euro/Pound as well

http://www.foc.us/

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I haven't seen anything about permenant but long lasting and cumulative have been mentioned. What are your plans with it? are you trained in it's use or know where you are targeting? or just doing a little bit of mad science self experimentation? :D

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
I haven't seen anything about permenant but long lasting and cumulative have been mentioned. What are your plans with it? are you trained in it's use or know where you are targeting? or just doing a little bit of mad science self experimentation? :D

Yea just a bit of experimentation! I'm not trained in it but I'll definitely do some more research before it arrives. And for this particular headset, the cathodes and anodes are fixed on the pre-frontal cortex unfortunately ( I would love to experiment with different sections of the brain). I'm thinking about tracking my cognitive progress (if any) with some homemade or online tests. It ships in July so I'll let you guys know how things go. ;)

Edited by TransAustin, 11 June 2013 - 05:57 AM.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

http://www.gizmag.co...-headset/27653/

"Additional electrodes can also be attached to stimulate other areas of the brain or produce alternate effects."

Rkw

Rkw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

This is equal parts cool and hilarious. 

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.
This is equal parts cool and hilarious. 

Agree completely with cool, not sure what you mean by hilarious.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,135 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I might tinker with some of this at some point, but my results may vary as I am not neurotypical and every indication seems to suggest that what is actually happening in these is inducing a mild autistic like hyperfocus or in some ways a hypnotic style focus.

I'm also warry because I've known more than a few people who bought into quack science about introducing magic electricity in the same way that snake oil sales people looked for. Look up the Zapper. You'll see all these people talking about improving the immune system and resolving sickness and disease via running current through their body. A lot of people have bought into this sort of thing, and they enthusiastically want others to discover the wonders of this. There is so much techno babble that from the tech side makes sense but relies of uneducated thought processes with regards to immunology and medical science. http://www.quackwatc...ncer/clark.html

And while Transcranial is not the same thing and has been used and tested for legitimate effects by legitimate scientists in the feilds to which they are applied, I still have a very strong suspiscion of magical energy treatments and such. I do think as a retraining tool it could be potentially useful as it could help retrain pathways, much like having somebody guide you through an action until you've experienced it enough that you can instinctively do it. But it would depend of wether or not the effects of the device are infact neurological or in part psychological.

I also have to wonder about the idea that if it's able to change brain function I would expect there to be more risk and potential long term changes. If for instance it pumps up the brains natural supply of opiates does that mean with chronic use the natural opiates trigger system will register higher levels and start to amp down natural release, forcing a dependance? Does this apply to other things as well? Could you actually cause neurological decline by over stimulation and then desensatizing and dependance? If that can't happen then it increases my suspicion that it has little real lasting effect on the brain.

But in the end I just don't know enough.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

I did read somewhere that if you use anodal stimulation on an area near the primary motor cortex, that it releases endogenous opioids. So if stimulating that area for extended periods of time, you could probably gain a dependence to it or get depressed when it discontinues its natural release.

If you go on reddit, there is a subreddit called /r/tdcs. Its basically a forum about with a bunch of articles and personal observations with tDCS.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Just handful of links related to tDCS:

http://www.bbc.com/f...cyborg-brains/2

http://ivancampuzano...anguage-faster/

http://www.scientifi...-brain-function

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,135 posts

okay I keep seeing mention of increases in white matter of the brain and instantly my mind says isn't that the part that deteriorates and is not regenerating fast enough in cases of MS? Is this a potential therapy vector for MS? or would the lack of white matter and failing regeneration cause hazards for MS trying this? for that matter does tinkering with our white matter make us vulnerable to MS?

Markomarkh

Markomarkh

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
This is the future of electronic drugs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users