Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will there ever be a time where literally everything is possible?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Do you think that there will be a time when literally everything imaginable is possible, and infinite more? I think some day, we will achieve this. It could take millions, billions or trillions of years, but I reckon we'll get there. What do you think?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Hard to imagine today and it will still be hard to imagine billions of years from now... to say infinitely more means we will never reach that place we have achieved everything possible.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Obviously discounting VR... I don't know. One part of me wants to say that eventually we'll be a civilization of gods, able to birth and destroy universes with a thought, but the other part of me feels that there has to be some sort of limit to technology, that eventually we have to hit a certain limit. Time will tell.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

dreamer246

dreamer246

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Things like warping time and space would take tremendous amounts of energy,so if we could find an infinite energy source and we could survive long enough then I think it would be possible to do anything.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I think if not everything it will be possible, it will be something very close to it. As someone said it is hard to imagine today but eventually give 1000s of years and it could happen. I men look at the progress we did in the last 3 centuries... imagine what human kind and artificial intelligence will be able to do in billions of years!

Kabe Ayofe

Kabe Ayofe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon
Things like warping time and space would take tremendous amounts of energy,so if we could find an infinite energy source and we could survive long enough then I think it would be possible to do anything.

How about the Sun? Or Nuclear Reactors?

CLB

CLB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Everything will be possible...in VR!

If something I say sounds like trolling/being stupid/offensive, please forgive me. I'm bad with people.

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Perhaps at the Omega Point, as postulated by Tipler.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Everything will be possible...in VR!
Virtual reality? Psh! VR will probably be obsolete by 3000! I'm talking literally millions of billions of years into the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,107 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

You just have to be able to manipulate the finest points of energy, with the ability to compress and decompress energy at will. From there, you control matter itself. Even strangelets and black holes and the end of the universe wouldn't be able to stand up to your might. 

At which point, you're God. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Yea why not. Could reach a point where most if not everything is possible, and the only way to improve is to build bigger structures. Similar to how the timeline mentions computer science going obsolete as a form of study, and the only way to build more computers is to make them bigger, or to somehow use a black hole as a form of computation. That'd be trippy......

I wonder though... we're at a point where we should see SOMETHING in the Universe being manipulated. Leads me to believe that alien life is extremely rare, but i still think it's out there. But who knows. Maybe we are the only intelligent life forms. Almost a statistical impossibility, but it could be so.

It'd be interesting if WE are the most advanced race! Mind fuck.

I don't wanna live in that time though. I wanna live in a time of infinite wonder and little understanding. I feel like i was meant to be born in the 22nd century. But then again, if you're born in the future, then that's normal to you and you just wonder what the future will be like. It's a never ending quest  for us futurists.....

Edited by Squillimy, 15 June 2013 - 06:05 PM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Do you think that there will be a time when literally everything imaginable is possible, and infinite more? I think some day, we will achieve this. It could take millions, billions or trillions of years, but I reckon we'll get there. What do you think?

Let's try indirect proof. Suppose everything imaginable is possible, and infinite more. So is it possible to create immovable rock?

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Why not? create a rock with a fixed location in space time. It could be possible, but i doubt a human in the year 1,000,000 would  bother with such things :)

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I mean literally everything. Possible for anyone to create a universe whenever they want. Possible for anyone to travel through time, or to teleport between universes, to have the strength to push black holes away, or just make them disappear with a thought. To bring back the dead, to create new dimensions and new colours with a single thought, to defy every law of physics that there has ever been. It would be incredible!

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Um, I don't think you can defy the laws of physics. Only exploit loopholes. If you could, they wouldn't be a law of physics.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Well, if you don't think we'll ever be able to defy the laws of physics, then your answer to my original question would be "No". If it's impossible to defy the laws of physics, then it means that not everything is possible. But I think that some day it will be, simply because we just don't understand science in-depth enough today to comprehend it.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Why not? create a rock with a fixed location in space time. It could be possible, but i doubt a human in the year 1,000,000 would  bother with such things :)

Yeah but if you'd create immovable rock then moving it would be impossible. And we began with supposition that everything is possible. Therefore you reach a contradiction. So no, there will be no time when "everything imaginable is possible, and infinite more".

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
But moving it WOULD be possible, you'd be able to instantly stop it from being immovable with a thought.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

But then it wouldn't be immovable. I want to be able to create immovable rock and move it. Check-mate, no can't do. :)

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
If we are able to create new dimensions with a single thought - why can't it be possible? This is what I'm trying to say - we cannot possibly comprehend it with our current 20th century-born minds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users