Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Star Trek: "Money doesn't exist in the 24th century"

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

To think we'd have an abundance of everything just seems too much like a utopia vision of the future.  i think we "may", but technology and future human history is near impossible to predict. 

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I don't imagine an abundance of everything but I do forsee a time when the ability to be independant and survive indefinately in that state can be had. nothing we have here on earth cannot be made out of the star dust that fills space in all it's forms, because that is where it all came from, and while on this planet we are a huge seething mass of beings crammed into a small space, once we step foot off this world as routinely as we can leave our states and cities we will be so thinly spread through the neighboring cosmos that we will be alone a great deal of the time. and in that space we have all to ourselves will be quantities of matter to suit our needs and wants without quibble or contest for it.

whole volumes of earth amounts of matter and energy for every one of us for centuries and the only thing we will needs is connections to others. and one person could trade their connection with you for your connection with them. No economy needed.

Technically that could be called an abundance, but to me that is putting a sort of decedance on it. I see it more as resolution of needs, such that the desires of being who and what you want are the drives that become the focus of people from then on.

• Raklian likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

I wonder what will happen when money as a system is abolished.

Simple - we'll have a resource-based economy like we should have been having for a long time now.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
To think we'd have an abundance of everything just seems too much like a utopia vision of the future.  i think we "may", but technology and future human history is near impossible to predict. 

If you scooped some peasant off his farm from 1000 years ago, he'd probably think we are living in a utopia now. And who's to say he's wrong? People just take things for granted. When was the last time you really needed something but couldn't get it?

• RayMC likes this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

If you scooped some peasant off his farm from 1000 years ago, he'd probably think we are living in a utopia now. And who's to say he's wrong? People just take things for granted. When was the last time you really needed something but couldn't get it?

Nowadays, we are wanting things but can't get them. :)

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
Nowadays, we are wanting things but can't get them. :)

Yep, and there's no reason the standard of living won't continue to raise to what people today consider utopia and people of the future consider normal.

TheGoodNews

TheGoodNews

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Here are 2 videos I am posting that discuss the abolition of money in Spain. The first brings up the subject at 21:45. The second at 55:31. Enjoy!

Pacifist Egalitarian

King of Ace

King of Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

i still don't see how money don't exist...i wanna get my own big TV,a best gaming pc,good outfit..how?

I am not a fan of S.T show "just don't like it" ,Its boring like hell but I love to see cool technology in coming years.

i don't live in really great english countries like some you guys, im alittle indian,chinese,enbgrish ,mexican, leaf village and soul society .

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
i still don't see how money don't exist...i wanna get my own big TV,a best gaming pc,good outfit..how?

I recommend you read the topic.

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

By the time money gets abolished, there won't be such a thing as a gaming pc. All PCs will be able to run real life full immersion VR games by 2050+, nevermind 22nd-24th century.

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

^ Nice avatar, Illusive Man. :)

• RayMC likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

ralfy

ralfy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

From what I remember about the Star Trek story line, this was made possible only after various devastating crises (effects of environmental damage, resource wars, genocide, nuclear war), and involving the discovery of faster-than-light speed coupled with exploitation of extra-terrestial resources.

TheGoodNews

TheGoodNews

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

From what I remember about the Star Trek story line, this was made possible only after various devastating crises (effects of environmental damage, resource wars, genocide, nuclear war), and involving the discovery of faster-than-light speed coupled with exploitation of extra-terrestial resources.

Or, maybe, as Capt. Picard said "we grew out of our infancy."

"Money is hereby abolished and libertarian communism is proclaimed in this village....The castle had been turned into a warehouse and supply centre. Everyone brings what they can and takes what they need. There is amazement and delight on the faces of women who help themselves to necessary commodities without paying.' The Story of the Iron Column: Militant Anarchism in the Spanish Civil War by Abel Paz.

Pacifist Egalitarian

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,708 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Here are 2 videos I am posting that discuss the abolition of money in Spain. The first brings up the subject at 21:45. The second at 55:31. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XN5TbqzxQBg http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jPl_Y3Qdb7Y

It's incredible how partisan the comments on those videos have become. Videos of the subject I mean.

Edited by The Young Homo Maximus, 13 September 2013 - 09:52 PM.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

It's incredible how partisan the comments on those videos have become. Videos of the subject I mean.

At least most of them are using correct punctuation and capitalization. That's a step up from most Youtube comments.

Halcyon

Halcyon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Currency will still exist if only as a fetishized ritual to preserve some sense of tradition, and to seem hip in a retrosense. Purely an alternative lifestyle that future hipsters will claim as being authentic, even though the world abolished it decades prior.

• Yuli Ban likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,708 posts

Currency will still exist if only as a fetishized ritual to preserve some sense of tradition, and to seem hip in a retrosense. Purely an alternative lifestyle that future hipsters will claim as being authentic, even though the world abolished it decades prior.

If by this, you mean a preservative of the old ways of humanity, then I think of it as inevitable.

We still see bartering going on, but it's not the center of economies. It's just something that's somewhat cool to do now and again. We still have kings and queens, but no one- save Disney tweens and hopeless monarchists- actually think feudal titles really mean anything anymore. Who doesn't love princes and princesses, honestly?

So what Halcyon says is what I believe will be the most accurate future: money won't vanish from the face of the Earth, but it will be obsolete as an economic means.

And Halcyon gets bonus points for pointing out that hipsters will be the only people who think it's cool.

Actually, in my city, just as I've said, there's a hipster community that barters quite a bit because it's "an alternative way of doing things."

Edited by The Young Homo Maximus, 17 September 2013 - 05:54 PM.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

As long as the governments giving me an unconditional basic income and a robots cookin moonshine in the basement I'm skraight.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,708 posts

In my ideal world, your "unconditional basic income" is the cut of the profits you get from the droids.

Edited by The Young Homo Maximus, 17 September 2013 - 06:51 PM.

TheGoodNews

TheGoodNews

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

As long as the governments giving me an unconditional basic income and a robots cookin moonshine in the basement I'm skraight.

You could set up fully-automated worker co-ops starting w hardware like this:

[font="calibri;"][color=rgb(0,0,255);][/color][/font]

[font="calibri;"][color=rgb(0,0,255);][/color][/font]

Hey, how about AUTOMATION meets AUTOGESTION (Self Management)? Complete worker autonomy. It could conceivably resolve issues related to unemployment and dispossession in favor of the workers.

Pacifist Egalitarian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users