Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Living in Space and Not On Planets

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

jamesadrian

jamesadrian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Has anyone here discussed the possibility that future generations of people will live mainly in space between planets and not on them?  I have not found that this idea is being discussed anywhere.  All futuristic science shows on TV, for instance, discuss the technology of living on other planets and moons, but nowhere do I find an explanation of the advantages and likelihood of the vast majority living in otherwise empty space.

We seem to underestimate our future capability to make useful and comfortable structures in space.  There is also the safety factor, which seems on the side of planets now, but will free us from enormous risks when we are more capable.

Is this topic of interest at all?

Thank you for your help.

James Adrian

jim@futurebeacon.com

Edited by jamesadrian, 19 June 2013 - 09:26 PM.

DJKiran

DJKiran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationUK

This is a tantalizing prospect, the ability to possible constructing large structures the size of large moons/small planets and then living inside or on the surface of them.

In that case, after the singularity, every position in space will start to become occupied with robots, transhumans, cyborgs, etc

Innovation and Change are the most important things in life

The Future is worth waiting for..... - Kiran Appiah 2011

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

One word: Elysium.

I think in the future there won't be much benefits to living on planets anymore. Living in space can be essentially identical to living on a planet. By the time long term space flight is practical we will have full immersion VR too. 

Edited by Ewan, 19 June 2013 - 10:33 PM.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Check out my Macrolife topic.

What difference does it make?

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

We need oxygen, we need to be shielded from radiation by the sun and cosmic rays, and we also need gravity, albeit to a lesser extent.  Planets (ideally) provide those things for us without us having to engineer any of them, but once engineering them becomes feasible (dare I say easy, with the development of intelligent automated space-based construction) it will certainly be done.  Especially to relieve Earth of the hypermalthusian pressure sure to be forced on it within the next few decades.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

i have no doubt in my mind that the moment we achieve the technology to terraform mars, we will realize that we dont really need to inhabit planets to survive. one day, people will be creating ships the size of asteroids with all the conveniences of what our planet earth can provide or even more. then there will come a time that thousand of ships like these are created. then after these, people will start to think: dyson spheres!  

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

We might live closer to the sun where we can collect all energy directly from the sun to power stuff. Planets are basically a closed system, so if you build a space ship with the same supplies it is basically the same thing. All the living stuff on earth gets it's energy from the sun, so might as well cut out the middle man and get all the energy from the sun.

If we got all the resources we might build giant domes around the sun, and live on those.

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Look at it this way? Would you want to spend your entire life on a ship in a vast ocean?

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

I should also mention that the Halo series also studies this topic. A lot of the environments in the games are planet scale spaceships. 

FallenPears

FallenPears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUK

If so it would probably be easier to live on objects that spun to create an effect like gravity, so gaint ships looking like perhaps the citadel from mass effect i think would be likely. Then again by this point we may not even have specific bodies, so may not "live" anywhere. The ships may just be an extension of human space.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
I think that by 2500 there will be thousands of "houses" orbiting the earth.

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina

Posted Image

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted Image

Source

Just think, soon we'll be able to explore this stuff in VR!

Edited by Ewan, 21 June 2013 - 01:31 AM.

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users