Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sci fi films and tv shows

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

I did. It sure is WAY better than that american crap. But both don't do justice to the book. American is focused on Clooney's butt, Tarkovsky's version is focused on people. Book is more focused on inability to contact and on planet Solaris itself.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I did. It sure is WAY better than that american crap.

Yeah. We didn't stand a chance against that genius Tarkovsky...

What difference does it make?

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Well I'm way behind on this thread. Any good sci-fi films on the horizon for 2014? As for this year, I didn't think the new Star Trek was all that great. I did like Total Recall, but the futuristic parts of it seemed to be pretty cliche. There was nothing interesting that hasn't been seen in plenty of movies before. Europa Report was interesting but there was no real new tech that either doesn't exist today or couldn't be designed today with enough money. Really Iron Man is one of my favorite movies when in comes to future tech, partly because most of the things that Tony Stark has (other then the Iron Man suit) should exist in my lifetime. In particular I love how he can create a hologram of something, pull the hologram apart, make changes within the hologram using his hands, put it back together, and then has his robots make it in a few hours.

The only thing we ever want is more

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Potentailly good SF for 2014:

• Transcendence
  • Interstellar
  • Jupiter Ascending
  • Edge of Tomorrow

If you are into comic books then:

• Guardians of the Galaxy
  • X-Men Days of Future Past
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier

Hard to tell what will come out of those:

• Godzilla
  • Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  • Her

And ones that will probably suck very bad:

• The Amazing Spider-Man 2
  • RoboCop
  • Transformers

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin

I am quite curious about "Her". I heard about it because I follow Olivia Wilde as an actress a bit and she is in the film, so I read up on it a bit and I think I am going to watch it. Don't know whether to be excited or not, though. It did receive some early praise, so I guess I will give it a go and judge for myself.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I saw the trailer for Trancendance, and it seems to me like they gave away the entire movie in the trailer.  So I don't know if I even want to go see this now.  Interstellar just has a generic teaser so I guess we don't know what it's about yet.  I also saw the trailer for Edge of Tomorrow, and even though it looks like Oblivion meets Groundhog Day, I'm intrigued and I do want to go see it.  So far Godzilla looks promising.  I'm a sucker for RoboCop so I'll go see it and just hope it doesn't suck too bad.  I doubt I'll even see Transformers or Spiderman 2.  I have no interest in comic book movies in general (I was one of the few who didn't like Avengers), but I have to say the trailer for Captain America actually looks really good.  It looks like he has to choose between Shield which is becomming an NSA type agency that is overstepping it's bounds and whatever Robert Redford is offering.  I might actually end up going to see this one. 

• CamGoldenGun likes this

The only thing we ever want is more

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Still waiting for the Great One... whatever that will be. I will know it when I see it. :)

What are you without the sum of your parts?

lechwall

lechwall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSunny England

The ultimate cult series.

"The future will be better tomorrow.  If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure.   For NASA, space is still a high priority. The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. No, not our nation's, but in World War II. I mean, we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history. Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child. We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."  Dan Quayle

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Resurrecting of the dead thread...

It seems Americans making the screen version (it will be series, as far as i understand) of our "Roadside Picnic" novel. I can only wish them good luck, since this was a worthy book and Russian screen version was shitty.

Roadside Picnic is a work of fiction based on the aftermath of an extraterrestrial event (called the Visitation) that simultaneously took place in half a dozen separate locations around Earth for a two-day period. Neither the Visitors themselves nor their means of arrival or departure were ever seen by the local population who lived inside the relatively small (a few square kilometers) area of each of the six Visitation Zones. Such zones exhibit strange and dangerous phenomena not understood by humans, and contain artifacts with inexplicable, seemingly supernatural properties. The name of the novel derives from an analogy proposed by the character Dr. Valentine Pilman who compares the extraterrestrial event to a picnic:

"A picnic. Picture a forest, a country road, a meadow. Cars drive off the country road into the meadow, a group of young people get out carrying bottles, baskets of food, transistor radios, and cameras. They light fires, pitch tents, turn on the music. In the morning they leave. The animals, birds, and insects that watched in horror through the long night creep out from their hiding places. And what do they see? Old spark plugs and old filters strewn around... Rags, burnt-out bulbs, and a monkey wrench left behind... And of course, the usual mess—apple cores, candy wrappers, charred remains of the campfire, cans, bottles, somebody’s handkerchief, somebody’s penknife, torn newspapers, coins, faded flowers picked in another meadow."

In this analogy, the nervous animals are the humans who venture forth after the Visitors left, discovering items and anomalies that are ordinary to those who discarded them, but incomprehensible or deadly to those who find them.

This explanation implies that the Visitors may not have paid any attention to or even noticed the human inhabitants of the planet during their "visit" just as humans do not notice or pay attention to grasshoppers or ladybugs during a picnic. The artifacts and phenomena left behind by the Visitors in the Zones were garbage, discarded and forgotten without any preconceived intergalactic plan to advance or damage humanity. There is little chance that the Visitors will return again because for them it was a brief stop for reasons unknown on the way to their actual destination.

The novel is set in a post-visitation world where there are now six Zones known on Earth (each zone is approximately five square miles/kilometers in size) that are full of unexplained phenomena and where strange happenings have briefly occurred, assumed to have been visitations by aliens. World governments and the UN try to keep tight control over them to prevent leakage of artifacts from the Zones, fearful of unforeseen consequences. A subculture of stalkers – thieves who go into the Zones to steal the artifacts for profit – evolves around the Zones.

The novel is set in and around a specific Zone in Harmont, a fictitious town in Canada, and follows the main protagonist over an eight-year period.

• Yuli Ban and Maximus like this

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationCanada

That sounds like a great story; finally, something a bit more thoughtful than aliens coming here to blow us all up.

Normally I'd be worried, because a lot of TV sci-fi series end up being small budget trash, but AMC has made some of the biggest shows in the past few years, so the production should be good at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users