Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are the limits of human genetic engineering?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

timewarp

timewarp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Could we one day modify the human genome to create people who do not age? How intelligent and athletic could they become (based purley on genetic engineering, not including nanotechnology or cybernetic upgrades)? Do you think a real life khan could be possible?

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Who can say?

I think it is possible to make an immortal based solely on genetics, but what they can do if you engineer them to be more athletic is all speculative.

As humans are now, natural, they won't run much faster than 30mph at the most, or be much stronger or bigger than today's bodybuilders on steroids.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,147 posts
  • LocationLondon

We will probably reach a point where injuries and wounds can self-heal almost instantly. By that time, I guess we'd have "perfected" the human body.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

How do you imagine instant self-healing on just biological basis? Cells need to grow and divide. Pace of biology is limited by speed of chemical reactions involved in this super-complex process. It's not jello, each cell is like whole body, with organs and stuff you need to double, then produce membrane to divide it.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

I always believed that the future is biological not mechanical. Artificial wombs, eyes, hands are just something temporary. It will last for a few centuries  but after that we will create incredible genes, cells, biological organs who will be superior to the technological ones made of nanobots or iron or any other composite.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,010 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Could we one day modify the human genome to create people who do not age? How intelligent and athletic could they become (based purley on genetic engineering, not including nanotechnology or cybernetic upgrades)? Do you think a real life khan could be possible?

We could genetically engineer a person to become a sentient 12-legged fruit, dude. Genetics are pretty damn fundamental to the way we are.

I always believed that the future is biological not mechanical. Artificial wombs, eyes, hands are just something temporary. It will last for a few centuries  but after that we will create incredible genes, cells, biological organs who will be superior to the technological ones made of nanobots or iron or any other composite.

That sounds a bit like a paradox. By that point, the nanobots would have become the biological genetics themselves, in the form of biotechnological beings. So you're right, but I don't think we'll eschew nanobots (or perhaps even picobots) if they can constantly perfect genes at any given moment. 

Edited by The Young Homo Maximus, 29 June 2013 - 02:59 PM.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

I believe that humans in the far future will be half biological and half robotical. There are some things that don't need to be replaced by a robot, and to be honest we could get to a point where the biological parts in your body are indistinguishable from the robotical. Think about red-blood cells. Why replace them with robots? A better thing that i think to do is replace your blood cells with a artificially made biological replacement that is more efficient, holds more oxygen, and travels through your body easier.

As for human genetics and its limits, you can think about it logically. The fastest runners in the world have long, skinny legs. The strongest people in the world have very muscular, bulging legs. Physically speaking it is impossible to be the fastest runner and the strongest man, because a genetically engineered person with long skinny legs that wanted to be that way in order to be fast, will always be faster than a genetically engineered person with thick, bulging muscular legs that wanted to be that way in order to be strong!

I'd imagine at first we will mostly be creating a perfect and healthy combination of both biological parents. This doesn't necessarily means everyone will be a super-genius. But because of genetic engineering, you'd be the perfect combination of your parents. You'd look good, never have any health problems, have a healthy body and a healthy brain. After that I suppose you can manipulate genetics to create a designer person. Give yourself a certain height, muscle mass, proportion, etc. But that'll most likely be for the rich at first!

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

i agree with squimy and the rest. we will eventually develop a technology where biological and mechanical will be so merged it will be distinguisible from both of them. so even a long skinny and fast legs can also be just as strong or even stronger than the bulging muscular legs if we reach and perfected the technology at merging AI and our brain, robotics and our biology. and i think this will not only happen to living beings. our houses and furnitures would be, in specifically functional way, just as merged as us. a self-healing automated parts communicating with all the appliances-furniture and walls of our houses, maybe even sending and receiving feedbacks from us and the internet. we are already seeing this happening in south korea.

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 27 July 2013 - 06:03 PM.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users