Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A pill to replace eating?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Shageed

Shageed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

So I have a little problem with eating. I'm not anorexic, I'm just not very hungry and I'm about 10 or 20 pounds underweight. I was wondering if, in the future, it would be possible to take a pill that would supply me with nutrients so that I wouldn't be hungry for days, maybe even weeks or months, on end. If so, how soon would this pill exist?

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I think so. I think pills will be able to contain all the nutrients you need..

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

But only as a supplement. You still need calories for energy. And if that would be solved by another pill I think it could still be troublesome - empty digestive track may be very unhealthy. Stomach will be probably first thing to start digesting itself.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,126 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

if you've got anorexia nervousa, finding ways to enable yourself to perpetuate the disorder is not really what you should be doing.

however as somebody with a digestive disease that results in me being really unable to sustain a high body weight I do technically qualify as anorexia, though when I can I manage to stay within ten to twenty pounds under weight. The amount of work I have to do is part of that. if I could stay in bed for a few weeks but keep my caloric and nutrient intake the same I might just be able to get back up to the right weight.

So depending on your condition and the causes, you may never get what you are looking for.

The pill idea is definately not the best approach. as it is harder to get the caloric intake needed for energy, and the bulk of matter that the digestive tract needs to be able to move and absorb at different locations properly. not to mention to properly form the expulsion mass it needs to. most people don't know that half of your solid waste in pretty much over supply and dead gut bacteria which you need to properly digest food. We feed them, they break it down into what we need and help us absorb it. without them we would be very very sick and in a lot of pain. but they need food sources and they need to cast off the old generations and extras. Otherwise you can get over populations and it will make you sick, or you get rot setting in and necrosis of tissue that can lead to sepsis which is pretty close to a death sentence and a horrible way to die.

There is some guy out there trying to come up with a smoothy based diet that meets the nutrient needs of the body without having to do meal prep and the whole eating thing. Look up Soylent.

The smoothy could maybe be made to work, but the liquid diet thing is not a good long term idea. It has gut motility issues and tends to favor over population of certain bacterial over others which can cause illness. Not to mention that certain vitamins and mineral interfere with each others ability to absorb, so you'd need a few varieties of smoothies taken in the best sequence to reap the best results.

I've been playing around with the idea of making a sort of human kibble for a bit. It can side step the whole issue with liquid diets, and also leand a feeling of getting a bit more substance in your food while being easier to transport and eat on the go. It'd still likely require two or three kinds to get past the absorbtion interferance that could happen between certain vitamins and minerals.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

@Shageed: Did you talk to a doctor about this yet? Also, be very careful with this idea, but have you tried eating more fast food? Some of it has a lot more calories in smaller meal portions than healthier food.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

soylent are still supplements, not food substitutes. also, putting all the vitamins and minerals together in one cocktail of fibrous soup is not ideal, since this results to poor absorption to the body. also, we need to include microbiomes in the equation.

http://www.livestron...-the-same-time/

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I'm sure someone has posted this thread before...But yes, I'm very sure that this is how we will get nutrients in the future, eating will be a thing of the past, existing only for the purpose of leisure. A pill a day with all the nutrients we need would be far superior to eating.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth
I'm sure someone has posted this thread before... But yes, I'm very sure that this is how we will get nutrients in the future, eating will be a thing of the past, existing only for the purpose of leisure. A pill a day with all the nutrients we need would be far superior to eating.

I would still prefer eating if I was still alive at that point in time, thank you very much.

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

This isn't possible with our current digestive system. It's a possibility if our bodies were cybernetic, which they may well be in the far future. But without changing your body to a large degree, no, it will never be possible. 

Edited by Ewan, 29 July 2013 - 03:08 AM.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Give it 100 years. By then we probably won't need a pill. Just go out in the sun and "recharge our batteries"

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Shageed

Shageed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
But only as a supplement. You still need calories for energy. And if that would be solved by another pill I think it could still be troublesome - empty digestive track may be very unhealthy. Stomach will be probably first thing to start digesting itself.

Is there any way to bypass that?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I wonder if we will still be able to taste and enjoy food when our bodies are 0% biological?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users